Fish oil capsules-mini/small

tdonline

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One of my cats has turned her back on fish oil.  I'd prick an enormous 1200mg capsule and squirt the oil on canned food for my two kitties.  One isn't bothered by the oil but the other now goes on strike.

My cats take medication via size 4 capsules.  It made me think about how handy tiny fish oil capsules would be.  It turns out they are available.  Checking on Amazon, it's difficult to see how small they are though.  From a couple of descriptions, the mini or small capsules are just a little longer than a penny.  That may still be too big for my cats though.

Any experience or recommendations with small/mini fish capsules?

PS I experimented this morning and syringed fish oil into the size 4 capsules which was mixed into breakfast.  That's how they get their medication every other day.  It worked, both my cats finished their breakfast.  But the fish oil striker did break open her capsule in the process and she did react momentarily.  I think she inhaled some of the oil and some of it was on the dish. The capsule leaks though which is no surprise as it's not meant to contain liquids.  All in all, it's probably not a long term solution.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So are you saying you actually put the capsule in their food?  And it doesn't start dissolving?  Or are you feeding them kibble?  I'm a little confused here (nothing unusual about that
)   Anyway, there are several KINDS of fish oil...sardine, anchovy, krill, "unscented", salmon.  Have you tried different ones to see if maybe the one who isn't liking it will eat a different "flavor".  And I've heard if you start with just a little bit and work your way up, they are more accepting of it.  One of mine LOVES krill oi, but not too much or it's a turn off

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tdonline

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yep, medication in capsule, capsule in wet food, topped by a handful of kibble.  This is how they take their medication.  No drama.  It's a snack size serving so the food and capsule are eaten up in a minute.  Not enough time for the capsule to get too soggy.  

Yes, she used to be semi-accepting of fish oil.  It was a Trader Joe's brand.  I'm still using TJ but it's slightly different.  I don't think they make the previous brand anymore.  I'm currently using odourless TJ Omega-3 capsules.