Fish Mox

GoodJuju

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it legal to give it to a cat? I’ve seen people torn on this subject but it’s of the moral nature.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ithink more to the point is why would you want to? From what I can find on it, it's for fish :dunno:. I might be missing something here...probably am, but I would say if you have a reason to give it to your cat, why not ask your Vet if it's safe.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
why would you want to? From what I can find on it, it's for fish
It's amoxicillin. Same as the amoxicillin you get at the vet or the doctor. It has the same codes on it and everything. People use it when they can't afford a doctor or vet visit.

Farmers and hunters have been using fish antibiotics for decades. Because of the internet, more people have found out about it and have been overusing them, so a lot of stores have stopped selling "fish" antibiotics.

Full disclosure: I once (more than 10 years ago) used Fish Flex when my dog had a recurring issue and my vet charged $2 per pill and he needed 8 of them a day for 30 days :/. At the time I wasn't up for a $500 bill! It worked fine but I must emphasize, ONLY when you know that you're using the right dosage and the right product for the problem.

I don't know about the legalities and can't find anything online. I think it may be technically illegal to use any medication off-label, but I think the chances of them pressing charges on a regular pet owner are slim. They may press charges on a pet store owner that sells it to someone knowing that they intend to use it off-label, though. It is probably best to label it as "legally inadvisable".

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
MOD NOTE:

Just a reminder of our Forum Rules:

2. Do not provide medical advice. Discussing various options is encouraged and you may share your experience including details about what kind of medication was administered and dosage. However, do not suggest to another member that they should change anything in the course of treatment prescribed by their vet without first consulting with a qualified veterinarian.

cat chauffeur

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have used a wide range of fish and bird medications for my cats with no adverse effects.