Fish Extract in Toppers

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed my cat one packet of Fancy Feast Broths chicken flavored topper a day, added to some Fancy Feast Naturals food. It's what she eats every evening, and 99% of the time she finishes all of it.

It's either that or more fish food. All she wants is seafood, so the topper is a great way to get her to eat something else.

Now I notice that the topper has "fish extract" in it. It's the third ingredient after chicken broth and chicken. I'm not sure what exactly is in this fish extract, but I'm betting there's probably some tuna. Even if it isn't, I'm wondering if I should account for this when calculating how much seafood she is ingesting. I try to feed her fish flavors once on every third day -- and I never give her 100% fish. It's either chicken and mackerel (with chicken and chicken broth being the first two ingredients) or Soulistic Triple Harmony, which is chicken, salmon and tuna (boy does she love that!). So even on fish days, she's eating food that's mixed with chicken -- never 100% fish.

So is the fish extract she gets a significant amount? Should I count this as a meal with fish in it? The topper packet is 1.5 ounces, by the way. I really don't want to give her too much fish, not only because it's not optimal, but also because it could adjust her palate to expecting fish too often.

I've noticed most toppers have fish extract in them, even if the packet says it's chicken.

Bonus question: I did find a topper with "tuna flavoring" instead of fish extract. I think it's Tiki Cat but I could be wrong. I know artificial flavors are not great, but they're preferable to feeding more fish, assuming the "tuna flavoring" doesn't really contain any actual tuna.

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tuna would be nice. but sadly fish extract doesn’t contain any fish meat, its basically the parts left after it’s removed.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, since it's the third ingredient in a list out of 1.5 ounces, it's not a lot. I'd personally would use this rather than the one with tuna flavoring, or utilize the one with the flavoring only now and then.