FirstMate Limited Ingredient Foods Made in Canada

kittymomma1122

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has anyone tried this food?

I have a cat with reactions to certain foods.  I was looking up limited ingredient foods and found this:

http://www.firstmate.com/cat-food/canned-limited-ingredient/turkey-formula/

They have four flavors.  The only thing I don't like is the potatoes and each one has a green at the end of the ingredient list.

I am looking for a limited ingredient food without vegetables/fruits in it.

emandjee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi KittyMomma,

My two cats have recently tried the turkey flavor, and it was a success! I don't like the fact that there's potatoes in there, but it's very minimal, and is the last of the ingredient list before vitamins and minerals. If you convert it into dry matter basis, it will convert to about 7%, which is still under 10% carbs as recommended by Dr. Lisa Pierson on catinfo.org.

I'd use the chicken and turkey flavors and stay away from fish in general. Feeding cats too much fish is just not recommended for a variety of reasons I won't get into right now.

Other LID foods brands are: Nature's Variety Instinct (Turkey, Duck & Lamb), and Natural Balance (Duck, Venison, Chicken, Salmon). LID foods are usually paired with some type of starchy vegetable for fiber (I also think they can do without it, however).

Some quality foods you might like which don't have vegetables/fruits/grains are: Tiki Cat (I feed the 2 chicken variety only), Wild Calling, and Mauri (new brand of cat food which could be limited to certain areas). 

Depending on they type of protein your cat is allergic to, you might also consider looking at ZiwiPeak, too.

The best place to find these brands would be in your local, small independent pet food stores in your neighborhood. Manufacturers also have websites that have store locators if you are looking for a particular brand. However, I've found that sometimes you may need to make phone calls to see if they actually still carry it, just in case.

Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittymomma1122

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I will see where I can find in stock on line. I know the company I use to buy the Tiki also has the ZiwiPeak.  I will check out the other two also. The Human Society loves me when I test new foods that I cannot get locally.

I do feed Tiki Cat, I have Instinct also. The Instinct has peas in it and I think that may be the issue with my oldest. It is hard to keep a good rotation that doesn't have some kind of downfall.  I have one who can not have chicken. He vomits immediately after eating any chicken product.  I stick with lamb, rabbit, turkey, beef and they do get Tiki Sardine occasionally. I have one who ended up on meds after eating Wellness and the only thing I could find was the pea was the uncommon ingredient that he had not had before.

If I had a holistic vet or was an educated in total dietary needs of a cat I would try raw. I have access to buy livestock and we have a great butcher. I am just not brave enough to make that leap and not add the right amount of vitamins to make a completely healthy food for them.

bellaluna777

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am glad to see someone posted that the 6.8% carb count on Firstmate is not so bad according to Dr. Lisa Pierson. I started with raw, but it was too much work for my cats who eat a little.....and go back......eat a little.......and go back. They have to eat raw in 30 minutes as it spoils thereafter. So we switched to Firstmate. I would love to get them off Firstmate altogether if I could find Tikicat Chicken in Consome sold in Canada. This one flavor is nowhere to be found, only the fish flavors.............

Why do I want to switch from Firstmate: three reasons. 1. carbs 2. Free-run(Tikicat uses free range 3. Firstmate quality control needs a overhaul: 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittymomma1122

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I get Tiki online at Wag.com. I do not know if they ship to Canada or not. The closest to me I could buy Tiki cat was in Sault St. Marie Michigan when we up north. The local owned pet shops here do not suppliers that can get Tiki. They do have different chicken, beef, lamb and duck varieties. 

bellaluna777

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You're welcome. Lucky you! Unfortunately bringing it across the boarder would be costly. As I said, they sell it here in Canada, only every single flavor has fish in it......Not sure why, price is comparable with Weruva, which is everywhere here. 

mingking

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ETA: OOPS sorry. For some reason I only read the first and last posts (my phone decided to only show those). So my post repeats a few things and is kind of off topic. Feeling foolish right now lol

I am in the exact same boat as you! Every single store I've visited only sells Tiki Cat in tuna or sardine flavours.

I do feed my cat FirstMate. I really like that it's guar gum free since I've never seen another cat food that is. Ming ate it like he's always been eating it. Usually when I introduce something new, he sniffs around and licks it. But when I put this food down, he just bit right into it!

I've only tried the turkey and chicken flavours and I shake the can around before I open it. There's runny liquid in it like Wild Calling cans.

I think the only problem I would say it has is that there's potatoes in it. But I've been reading around and people decided the amount of potato is low enough to not be too concerned about.

Last edited: