First Timer: Fears And Concerns W/ Four Ferals

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats. They will do as they do do, and there's no doing anything about it. . .

They're probably just out exploring. They know where the food is :D.

Do you think it's possible that another neighbor is feeding them?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DasKatzchen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually, yes. This is a theory my grandfather had considering how socialized they were to cats. Problem is that houses in my area are acres apart, so there's no telling where they're off to right now. That being said, they have more or less crashed over here for about nine days and seemed utterly clingy, so I don't know why they'd decide to leave right now.

With how they've behaved so far, is it likely they will come back? I know it's only been a few hours, but I really need them to return.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don’t worry. They are probably just looking for their own supper. They should be back for the next feeding time if they aren’t back tonight. Just keep up your routine with them. Cats just do this sometimes. If they got interested in chasing a bug or bird they can easily get distracted. :)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DasKatzchen DasKatzchen Welcome to TCS and THANK YOU for caring about this little family! They are absolutely beautiful. Other posters have already given quite a few great suggestions and links, but here are a couple more: www.bestfriends.org/resources has MANY links to cat behavior and cat rescue groups. And www.alleycat.org is the site of Alley Cat Allies, the national, and increasingly international, database for all things "cat" with a focus on TNR and helping outdoor/free-roaming/feral/community/stray/street cats. All the BEST to you, and may you be able to find help for this beautiful little family! They deserve no less.
As for the rabies issue, rabies is in fact very rare in cats. Your family look very healthy. I would not worry at all.

DasKatzchen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
DasKatzchen DasKatzchen Welcome to TCS and THANK YOU for caring about this little family! They are absolutely beautiful. Other posters have already given quite a few great suggestions and links, but here are a couple more: www.bestfriends.org/resources has MANY links to cat behavior and cat rescue groups. And www.alleycat.org is the site of Alley Cat Allies, the national, and increasingly international, database for all things "cat" with a focus on TNR and helping outdoor/free-roaming/feral/community/stray/street cats. All the BEST to you, and may you be able to find help for this beautiful little family! They deserve no less.
As for the rabies issue, rabies is in fact very rare in cats. Your family look very healthy. I would not worry at all.
Many thanks for the welcome and also for these resources! I am glad to hear how often cases of rabies are in cats, but since I live in forested area with other wildlife (already seen a raccoon and just last night an opossum on my porch) I still worry about them getting in contact with one another.

For a bit of an update, the cats still have not returned and I am starting to get seriously worried they have moved on or become far too disconnected from my property to return. Their random and continued disappearance after last afternoon is getting me even more anxious. I need them back! :(

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many thanks for the welcome and also for these resources! I am glad to hear how often cases of rabies are in cats, but since I live in forested area with other wildlife (already seen a raccoon and just last night an opossum on my porch) I still worry about them getting in contact with one another.

For a bit of an update, the cats still have not returned and I am starting to get seriously worried they have moved on or become far too disconnected from my property to return. Their random and continued disappearance after last afternoon is getting me even more anxious. I need them back! :(
Cats who live outdoors will often do this. I would not worry too much. Hold out hope! Because there is a very good chance they will return in due time. As for the wild creatures, they live here as well. We co-exist very well, with no problems whatsoever.

DasKatzchen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone. Sorry to randomly bump the thread, but it doesn't look like the cats have been back yet. I took up the food outside to keep the opossum away, and apparently it came back. Third time; stay away! I seriously hope it's not causing a problem by keeping the others away.

Starting to feel pretty down about it. Not helping my nerves, either. Who knows where they are or what they're getting into...

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone. Sorry to randomly bump the thread, but it doesn't look like the cats have been back yet. I took up the food outside to keep the opossum away, and apparently it came back. Third time; stay away! I seriously hope it's not causing a problem by keeping the others away.

Starting to feel pretty down about it. Not helping my nerves, either. Who knows where they are or what they're getting into...
Oppossums are omnivorous and LOVE dry cat food, in my experience anyway. Cats are frightened of them because of their big mouths full of teeth and their hisses, but as far as I know, they do not harm cats. None at any of the locations we've lived ever have. Cats will hang back if a possum comes close and starts eating.

DasKatzchen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oppossums are omnivorous and LOVE dry cat food, in my experience anyway. Cats are frightened of them because of their big mouths full of teeth and their hisses, but as far as I know, they do not harm cats. None at any of the locations we've lived ever have. Cats will hang back if a possum comes close and starts eating.
It was honestly surprising to see it eating the cat food, but I guess that's normal! This one was kinda big, fat, and slow, so I'm not sure if it would have spooked the kitties outside of its size (and maybe hisses). That being said, I would imagine they're night animals and they left about Sunday afternoon, so I don't know.

Just holding on for their return, and soon. It's getting colder so I'm hoping they haven't found a different place to stay. I still have a bed and blankets out there. I'm thinking about putting some food on another side of the porch, one I know they've been to but don't think the opossum can get to.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my mom's cats hangs out with the possum, and encourages him to eat her food :/. Usually cats don't mind possums. Raccoons can be pushy and sometimes aggressive though.

Anyway I doubt the possum is keeping the kitties away. I think at their age they're looking for their own territories and are trying out different places. One or more may come back once they've sorted that all out.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was honestly surprising to see it eating the cat food, but I guess that's normal! This one was kinda big, fat, and slow, so I'm not sure if it would have spooked the kitties outside of its size (and maybe hisses). That being said, I would imagine they're night animals and they left about Sunday afternoon, so I don't know.

Just holding on for their return, and soon. It's getting colder so I'm hoping they haven't found a different place to stay. I still have a bed and blankets out there. I'm thinking about putting some food on another side of the porch, one I know they've been to but don't think the opossum can get to.
That would be a good idea, DasKatzchen DasKatzchen , because yes, oppossums do love dry cat food and they'll eat it all! Plus, they're messy eaters, and a lot of times cats won't eat food the possums have been into, because of their saliva being on some of the food. Cats and oppossums are basically crepuscular (meaning most active at dawn and dusk), but of course you can see them at any time of day or night. Everything revolves around food, and being able to access it. Cats being obligate carnivores and their main prey being small rodents, hunt when those animals are active -- at dawn and dusk. Possums are omnivorous and mainly vegetarian/insectivorous, but they do enjoy the easily available, high quality calories in dry cat food.

DasKatzchen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Look who's back! Well, two of them. I'm pretty sure these are the two that like me the most. Not sure about the other Orange and Calico. I'm hoping with the return of these two they'll bring the others along. I gave them some food.

So this is the 11th day since the scratch and 13th since I first saw them, so I assume they're safe and healthy?

Attachments

DasKatzchen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, whoops. Forgot to link the images. If anyone has trouble seeing them, let me know and I will repost. I apologize for the mess, too!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look who's back! Well, two of them. I'm pretty sure these are the two that like me the most. Not sure about the other Orange and Calico. I'm hoping with the return of these two they'll bring the others along. I gave them some food.

So this is the 11th day since the scratch and 13th since I first saw them, so I assume they're safe and healthy?
*PRAYERS* and hoping that they will, DasKatzchen DasKatzchen . Generally when feral cats have a steady source of water and food and are not threatened, they will return.

DasKatzchen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, everyone! Sorry to drop by again without much to show, but such is the way things have been.

For one, despite the two kittens having been fed a bit and coming back on Wednesday, they... pretty much left again. It was disappointing, as I had hoped they'd nudge the others to come along, but I can't say what the issue is. I thought things were resolved. Their roaming nature is really not something I was prepared for.

Having not seen the other two in a week now, I am concerned for their well-being, especially considering how cold it has been.

We still have this annoying opossum around, and just tonight it resurfaced. I am unsure what to do with it, as any sort of scent-based methods to keep them away (ammonia, moth balls, etc.) seem to also apply to cats.

I'm running out of ideas here. Does anyone have any ideas regarding the opossum on how to keep it away (without calling anyone/directly contacting it/trapping/etc.) without potentially doing the same for the cats? Is there anything I can particularly do to attract or call for the cats? I am assuming they are still in the rough area, but there's a bunch of land. I'd imagine they're holed up somewhere because of the 30-ish degree weather, but since we'll be back in the high 40s/low 50s pretty soon I am hoping they will become more mobile.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, 30-ish degrees is nothing for cats. Mine are probably most active around that temperature.

Like I said, I think they're young adults looking for their own territory. This is normal for cats. If any of them start hanging around on a regular basis, have them spayed/neutered right away and that will cut down on most wandering.

Possums are pretty harmless and eat a lot of bugs and such. I wouldn't worry about him. If you want to discourage wildlife, take up any food before dark. The cats will learn to eat during daylight hours.

DasKatzchen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm, that blows my cold temperature theory out of the water then. My grandfather and I lit up the smoker outside today and cooked some meats, and I had hoped it would draw the cats over here. If they came at any point, it wasn't a time we could catch them.

We started taking up the food back when the opossum started first being a pest, which sucks because I wanted to leave food out in case the cats came at the late hours, but that wont work apparently. I will try and start putting it out during the day then, as we've never seen the opossum at that time.

I can't think of anything else to make the place seem more appealing to them. I guess I just have to hope they have it in them to come back.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DasKatzchen DasKatzchen I totally agree with W Willowy about the possum. We have lived with them at several houses and they not only harm no one, they eat harmful insects by the hundreds and thousands, eat fallen fruits, and generally are friends to all creatures. They are absolutely harmless to you and to cats. Please just leave them be.
Possums do come out during the daytime, but again, they are harmless.
And yes, young cats will be ranging far and wide to establish their own territories. They will return to ready sources of fresh, clean water and good food.

DasKatzchen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I can't deny I don't mind the little guy eating insects. I also don't want to hurt or forcibly displace him, don't get me wrong. I just get the feeling that maybe he spooked the cats, not by being aggressive but by his presence. There's also that issue of my putting food out there only for the opossum to come by and eat it, leading me to believe the cats have returned which is not the case. I'm just so vexed by the whole situation and concerned that I'm not able to get them back.