First Time Unexpected Kitten-cat Owners, Eye Problem

Dacixo1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So to summarize the story up so i wont bore you all to death.
I adopted a pet off of craigslist about 2-3 months ago, She's a Turkish angora.
So yesterday night, I was about to walk down the steps and found an newborn KITTEN!
I panicked because of course I had no idea she was pregnant, I quickly got her an large old computer box, cleaned it out and put a blanket in. She gave birth two 3 beautiful kittens, sadly one didn't make it. From what I've read online it's a stillborn? So i need to dispose of that one. My question to you guys is, what do i need to do more and to make sure the kittens are safe and going to make it.
I gave her an entire room to herself so she could nurse them.. I think she feeds them? Please don't be rude, I didn't expect to have a new-born kitten litter in my apartment, lol.
Btw, her name is ghost, we've bonded and she trust's me enough to be around her while all this is going on.
So please, I need help on feeding, care? So-far she seems to be doing that, i give her extra food so she can somewhat make more milk? Idk what im talking about, someone please tell me what i should be doing in the first few days/weeks.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
D Dacixo1

Welcome to TCS! :wave3:

So far you are doing great! :)

Feed mom unlimited wet and dry cat food, fresh water, and put her litter box in the room with her as well.

You can bury the stillborn in your yard.

Mom will care for the babies exclusively until time for them to learn to eat solids, then you will help. That's not for a few weeks yet.

I suspect your cat was being rehomed due to her pregnancy, and they did not want to tell you.

Mom can be spayed when the babies are 8 weeks old.

Change the bedding in the nest every few days. It's good you've put her in her own room.

Do you need to trim fur from her nipples, or are the kittens managing?

You can weigh the babies daily on a kitchen scale to make sure they gain 6-10 grams daily (or more) each.

Here is a helpful growth chart:

Kitten Development Stages - Illustrated Guide

We would love to see pictures! :redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dacixo1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So kittens was born on 6/22/2017 and i don't know if this is normal or not? But i have two Turkish Angora kittens. Well one ( The all-black one) seems to have opened one eye but he has crust in one of his eye socket. It's looks like crust or sometype of crust. Then the all white one hasn't opened it's eye's at all & both of his/her eyes are crusted. They were born last month on the 22nd, so I'd say they are about two-weeks of age or 3 at the most. 3, I think. If anyone knows if this is an infection or something I should just let fall off, please let me know. The vet said i could bring them in but sadly wont have money to pay till friday. Again these are my first KITTENS EVER! I wasnt expecting to have kittens, their mother was my first cat ever. So i'm new at this all, please let me know.
Is this normal? does the crust just fall off when there eyes open?

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
use a warm soft cloth to rub the crusties off but don't force it off. call the vet and ask for eye ointment. please don't let it go more than a day. there's other places to get the ointment but let the vet give you permission first. otherwise there's over the counter ointment at tractor supply for kittens/cats. I don't remember what age they need to be-I think it's safe for 2-3 week old kittens. but the issue is if you don't treat an eye infection-it could become deadly or cause the eye to rupture. So don't wait too long-If you already have a relationship with a vet=I would call them and see what they say.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dacixo1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
use a warm soft cloth to rub the crusties off but don't force it off. call the vet and ask for eye ointment. please don't let it go more than a day. there's other places to get the ointment but let the vet give you permission first. otherwise there's over the counter ointment at tractor supply for kittens/cats. I don't remember what age they need to be-I think it's safe for 2-3 week old kittens. but the issue is if you don't treat an eye infection-it could become deadly or cause the eye to rupture. So don't wait too long-If you already have a relationship with a vet=I would call them and see what they say.
I dont have a relationship with one period, I take my dog to one but it's been about a year and they closed. Is it safe for me to rub it off softly?

MoonRockyMistyMuffin

I love cats but I'm not lonely
Young Cat
Purraise
Use a cloth and wet it with warm water to wipe away the gunk. Funky eyes is common in kittens. I work at the animal shelter and most kittens have this.

Jessica Meade

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am just about to post a similar question. I will say my vet said if the goo was green or yellowish was def need of a visit if it was clear she would be fine to treat at home.. can you post pic and ill ask my vet (family) and see what she thinks.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the above. Keep the eyes clean with a warm, wet washcloth. You can buy terramyocin over the counter, but if the discharge is colored you might need clavamox as well. You really need to establish a relationship with a vet soon to help vaccinate these kittens and get the momma spayed!