First Time Trying Wet Food, He Only Licked The Tuna Sauce Off Of It And Left The Meat

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is this to be expected when adding a wet food to an all dry diet?
I’m thinking it’s gotta be one of these things:
•He doesn’t know how to eat it
•He wasn’t expecting me to add the wet food to his routine so he didn’t “budget” his hunger to save room for the new meal.
•He didn’t like it
•He is accustomed to grazing his food, perhaps he is not able to eat all the wet food in one sitting because he doesn’t realize yet that the wet food will go bad in 30mins-1hour and will need to be picked up at that point.

It was Purina One True Instinct Recipes.
I got a variety pack, he tried the tuna recipe in sauce.

Thanks for any advice, I’d love to get him eating more wet food, I’ve been told repeatedly how much more healthy it is. :heartshape:

6ABB2869-2E19-479F-9CF0-4384958D12A2.jpeg

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girls eat their "in gravy" stuff by licking all the carbs off first. They come back to it throughout the day to eat.
My tortie will actually lick her pate, too.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could mix a bit of the wet food with the dry a few times just to get him eating it but you’ll want to be sure he eats it right away because bacteria can start to build if you leave that out for too long.

If he’s not eating a whole portion that you put out in one sitting try putting less out at a time or just leave the food out till he eats it. I leave wet food out for 2-3 hours sometimes and it’s fine.

You might also have to try different kinds of wet foods and brands. I would start off just buying different individual cans of flavours/brands/textures and seeing which he likes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could mix a bit of the wet food with the dry a few times just to get him eating it but you’ll want to be sure he eats it right away because bacteria can start to build if you leave that out for too long.

If he’s not eating a whole portion that you put out in one sitting try putting less out at a time or just leave the food out till he eats it. I leave wet food out for 2-3 hours sometimes and it’s fine.

You might also have to try different kinds of wet foods and brands. I would start off just buying different individual cans of flavours/brands/textures and seeing which he likes.
Perfect thank you very much that’s what I’ll do. :)

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
gravy lickers...got to love them :) my cats will often lick the gravy, or drink the juice and then come back over the next few hours and eat the food.

and as neo_23 said maybe try some individual cans, different brands, different flavors, some shreds, some minced, some pate. seems all of my cats have different ones they prefer. :)

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
gravy lickers...got to love them :) my cats will often lick the gravy, or drink the juice and then come back over the next few hours and eat the food.

and as neo_23 said maybe try some individual cans, different brands, different flavors, some shreds, some minced, some pate. seems all of my cats have different ones they prefer. :)
Somehow I never realized the pate is referring to the consistency, I saw it at the store and wondered what it was. :lol:

It sounds like I was taking the whole “how long should I leave it out?” Thing too seriously. I took it away after like 30 mins I feel bad now :frustrated:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not to worry, just try again later.
If you're really having a time getting him to eat the wet, try topping it with a little human tuna, or a few cut up bits of boiled unseasoned chicken or turkey, or if he has a favorite treat, crumble that up and sprinkle it on.
Good luck :)

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not to worry, just try again later.
If you're really having a time getting him to eat the wet, try topping it with a little human tuna, or a few cut up bits of boiled unseasoned chicken or turkey, or if he has a favorite treat, crumble that up and sprinkle it on.
Good luck :)
Thanks!! If I can remember correctly, I think you were the one who helped me learn the benefits of wet food :rock:
Mango says thanks as well :dizzycat:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. Did you try giving him a can in the morning for breakfast before he fills up on dry food?

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am thinking of putting it through the food processor to make it more like pate consistency because he doesn’t seem to like the chunks even when hungry. Do you think this is a good idea?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you maybe add water and mix it with a fork? Not sure if that would be too mushy.