First time litter... how long before labour starts?

DottyP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I’m new to this site and new to breeding. I only intend to have one litter and although I’ve read everything I can find on the subject, I realise every cat birthing is different - just like humans!
My gorgeous cat, Birdie, is day 66 of her pregnancy. I have been watching her like a hawk since day 60 just in case but I feel that the birth is going to be soon now. For the last two mornings she has meowed loudly once or twice (she only ever meows when in season normally) and I’ve rushed downstairs thinking the time has come.... but no! Today she is more restless, there was some kind of discharge about an hour ago which had her leap out of the box and start to lick herself and the floor. I couldn’t tell what colour the discharge was and I don’t know if this was the mucus plug or not? She is sleeping in her nesting box now after an hour of on and off cleaning. Her vulva looked larger this morning but seems to have shrunk again.
does it sound like she’ll start labour soon?
im worried I may have to cut the umbilical chord of one or more of them. What is the best way to do this? How long do I give her to do it before I need to step in?
Feeling quite anxious as it’s a bank holiday weekend and the vets aren’t open until Tuesday so the pressure is on me to step in if I need to - though praying it all goes smoothly.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds to me as though her body has been preparing for labor the last couple of days, and now she is likely either in early labor or about to start labor. The first stage lasts about 24 hours, with second stage being pushing. Kittens can come quickly or be a few hours apart if she needs to rest in between.

What breed is your cat? Do you know how many kittens she will have?

As far as cutting the cord, it’s best to give her a few minutes as long as things are going well. If, however, the kittens come quickly, you may want to cut cords and help wipe down the kittens. You’ll first want to pinch the cord closed between your fingers, then pinch it off from the placenta, or even tie a piece of thread about an inch from the naval first before cutting.

Have soft dry cloths on hand to gently rub a baby dry if mom is too busy with another.

Most cats manage quite well, so try not to stress too much. I’m sure you’ll do just fine if your help is needed.

Keep us posted!

D DottyP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DottyP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds to me as though her body has been preparing for labor the last couple of days, and now she is likely either in early labor or about to start labor. The first stage lasts about 24 hours, with second stage being pushing. Kittens can come quickly or be a few hours apart if she needs to rest in between.

What breed is your cat? Do you know how many kittens she will have?

As far as cutting the cord, it’s best to give her a few minutes as long as things are going well. If, however, the kittens come quickly, you may want to cut cords and help wipe down the kittens. You’ll first want to pinch the cord closed between your fingers, then pinch it off from the placenta, or even tie a piece of thread about an inch from the naval first before cutting.

Have soft dry cloths on hand to gently rub a baby dry if mom is too busy with another.

Most cats manage quite well, so try not to stress too much. I’m sure you’ll do just fine if your help is needed.

Keep us posted!

D DottyP
thank you for replying. She is a BSH.
So if in the first stage of labour can I go out? I went to be here when she starts birthing but I’m not sure if I should now be with her 24/7 and how long for after the kittens have been born?

thanks for info re cord pinching. I have bought chord cutting scissors but will dig out some cotton thread to tie around too just in case. Do I need to have kitten milk made up when she is birthing just incase or wait and see. Any tips on what to have ready as a checklist would be gratefully received. I have a bunch of towels ready and a note book. Do I weigh each kitten as soon as it’s born or after first feed? I don’t want to disturb too much.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you need to go out, do so before she is having strong contractions if you want to be there for her during labor.

You may want to offer mom a dish of kitten milk after she is done. She’ll need a dish a day for the extra calcium. Do not feed the kittens unless they are unable to nurse or losing weight.

You can weigh after they are dry and have nursed. Weigh in front of mom but on a flat surface. You’ll want to remove and replace the wet towels in the nest after mom is done.

Put mom’s food, water, and litter nearby so that she does not need to go far to get to them.

It sounds as though you are prepared.

DottyP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well she’s still not given birth. By my calculations she is either day 66 or 67 depending on whether she became pregnant the first or second mating. I’m worried that they may be too big to easily be born naturally the longer it goes on, like in humans but perhaps I’m over worrying?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats can easily go to 68-70 days. Are you seeing impending signs of labor?

DottyP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not as such. Just lots of licking/cleaning, sleeping, the odd meowing every now and again and eating.

DottyP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope so! She’s been doing this for a week now!

DottyP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet said they may induce if she’s not birthing by day 70. Is that normal? I didn’t want to be induced myself, feels strange for a cat to be

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, they should do an x-ray first to check the kittens to make sure they are ready, then induce. It is not healthy for cats to go too long. The kittens can get too big to birth vaginally, and / or the uterine environment begins to deteriorate.

If your cat seems in distress prior to day 70, see your vet right away.

DottyP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok thanks that’s reassuring. Yes of course I would do. She seems absolutely fine. Very calm and content with her sunbathing routine (inside) every afternoon continuing. Of course I would ring them straight away if she didn’t seem well it herself.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hopefully she will go into labor soon, but things sound okay, and it’s best to let Mother Nature take her course naturally. Keep us posted!

DottyP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, long story short she gave birth at 5.20 this morning to one that needed help. I revived him and kept him warm. Birdie was induced and gave birth to a still born sadly and then had a c section and spay. No other babies. The little boy is doing ok but her milk isn’t coming out even though she’s full in the bottom teets. Any advice on how to bring on the milk?

Attachments

DottyP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have tried gentle massage of bottom teats but nothing coming out. Any tips? Baby won’t really take formula and keeps trying to get Mums milk. Mum had to have c section and spay today. Only one little kitten was alive, he’s 81g. have managed a few bits of formula today when Mum was having the op but since she got back he won’t go near it and just screams.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kitten is likely too tiny to suckle strongly enough to get milk. Follow the video above. You’ll need to feed every 1-2 hours around the clock until the kitten can suckle mom on his own. He will get used to the syringe, which should be very small — just 1-2mLs.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m shocked the vet did a c-section when she had no other kittens inside. They should have done an x-ray first and they would have seen that she did not need a c-section and could be spayed later. Poor mama!

DottyP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don’t have a syringe, just a bottle that came with the royal canin kitten milk - have ordered syringes but they’re not arriving until tomorrow. Should I take the kitten away from Mum to feed? will watch video too, thanks

DottyP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They did xray and saw what they thought could be abnormal foetuses but she was hugely constipated and it turned out to be poo that was stuck rather than babies. I’m so sad for her however the milk wasn’t flowing when I took her in this morning even though it had been leaking last week. Just worried about the kitten not eating and Mum getting mastitis