First Time Helping A Queening Stray (please Help!)

HappyCatMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm a very long-winded writer and this is my first post, so I will try to be succinct. (Disclaimer: though this was my intent, I just finished writing the post, and it turned out very long anyway. I hope you'll still read on, please.)

Over 1 month ago a pregnant Mama Cat (MC) & a small kitten (BC) show up at our door. We have a 6 year old cat who is our beloved fur-child; he deserves a more full introduction, (maybe best saved for another post). In the interim, we have been able to take the BC (baby cat) to the vet for a well-check and immunizations. We have committed to foster her, and she is living in sequestration until she and our cat can become friends (a topic for another post as well!). The MC (mama cat) came and went for a while, staying away for days at a time, returning famished. We of course fed her and have tried to give her the best care possible.

Upon one of her return visits we noticed that she was most definitely pregnant. We upped the quality and frequency of her food (wet & dry). I placed a cardboard box with fluffy clean white towels out over 2 weeks ago for her nesting/birthing box. She always preferred our doormat, the yard, or the hard concrete of our sidewalk to the comfortable nesting box. Don't think she ever even touched it.

Fast forward to today. I have been on pins and needles, monitoring her, immersing myself into research in hopes of becoming the best feline mid-wife/doula I could be for her. From day 1 she was very friendly, eager to be petted, and in the last several days had stuck extra close and began looking like she wanted to come inside. Who can blame her? It is intolerably hot during the day and she has been ready to pop.

Several factors kept us from making a place for her inside (yes, that would bring us to 3 separate sequestration areas indoors). Chief among the factors that kept us from bringing her in was that we had not been able to catch her to take her to the vet for a well-check so her health status was unknown, and more recently I discovered what look to be segments of tape worms in the fur around her bum. Feeling so guilty for keeping her outside, we really took it upon ourselves to monitor her very closely, always have good food, fresh, cool water available, and give her lots of attention and hip rubs (her favorite).

This afternoon I was just giving her a check before heading out to get additional supplies we would need for a successful birthing experience. Well, as luck would have it, at long last, today seemed to be her day. She had cloudy to brownish discharge which was perhaps her mucus plug. The heat and humidity we unbearable and she was ready to dart inside. From all I had read, I knew it was vitally important that above all, I remain calm, so that she will as well. After a few failed attempts at trying to get her into an enclosed carrier (so that I could safely take her to the basement and set up her own private space whilst she was contained), at the pleading of her cry, I caved and just opened the door to let her in. Our resident cat was loose in the house and I couldn't get him to budge from under the furniture. I began to get frustrated and found myself frantically an futilely scrambling to herd these two cats in separate directions; he to a bedroom, she to the basement. I'm sure as you're reading this you can tell how that went. Horribly and unsuccessfully. I tried luring her downstairs with treats, and she would only come halfway. After a few rounds of hide and hiss, back out the door she wanted to go. I could tell she did, but she didn't. She knew she needed to cool and quiet shelter the indoors could provide, but it was all too unfamiliar and too fast.

Back outside, sweltering, & bewildered, I tried one last ditch effort to make the nesting box a go for her. She hid in the shade of our hedges and I could tell the trust we had built over the course of over a month and a half was coming apart. For all my worry, fussing, and fretting, now, when she needed me to pull through for her, I had failed her. My heart sank...and broke...and then sank some more. I tried to hide my agitation (toward myself, not her) so that she would remain calm and at the very least hopefully stick around the front of the house. I did what I could do, filled her water dish with chilled water and put out more wet food, thinking this might draw her back and give me another shot at helping her.

Maybe it was a mix of built-up anxiety, a deep sense of responsibility to this precious Mama Cat (MC), all colliding with my anger at my failure to be who she needed to me to be in this, her hour of need...but it all crashed down on me, hard. I took myself inside because I had begun crying and I knew if there was any hope of getting her close again, she didn't need me out there all upset. Add to that, several more layers of guilt..."who was I to be crying, she was the one giving birth in less than ideal conditions?"..."what are you doing going back inside when she needs you out there?" This all happened in the late afternoon hours (5-ish). It is now 10:33pm. I went out and made a lap around the house calling for her around 8:40pm, sat outside calling and listening for her and the kittens who I pray made it into this world without incident; but I've not heard a peep. And her food was untouched. I continue to call for her to no avail.

To anyone who may still be reading this way-too-long post (which I intended for it not to be), I want to thank you. And I want to ask for your prayers for this Mama Cat, and for your feedback for me. What could I have done differently? In your experience, do you think it is likely that she will return? Will she bring her kittens? Should I be out scouting the woods as we speak? I'm so very worried about her and those babies.

If you have any insights or advice, this worried heart would love to hear them. Again, thank you for reading such a long post. I'll be holding out hope and will keep calling for her. Hope someone can help me. Many, many thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HappyCatMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_4950.JPG

Mama Cat earlier today...
IMG_4947.JPG
Beautiful, and looking ready to go...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She will be back for food. She's out having her babies, and will eat the placentas, which will tide her over for awhile.

You'll need to follow her if possible and hope she leads you to her kittens.

Once you find them, you can move the family inside your home. Mom should follow.

Try not to beat yourself up over this.

HappyCatMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You are indeed cat lady extraordinaire. Thank you so much for responding to my post. I will take your word; give Mama time and try to forgive myself. Thank you for giving me sound advice and a measure of comfort.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:vibes::vibes:Prayers for blessings for MC, her kittens and you. Since she already has had a litter (BC), she is experienced and all should go well, especially since you have given her good nutrition. Since she trusted you enough to bring BC to you, I am confident that she will bring the new tinies to you as well, if you don't locate them first. Thank you for MC's photo - she is a real beauty. & welcome to TCS! :hellocomputer:

HappyCatMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can't tell you how much I appreciate your reply. I'm so happy to have found TCS, so thank you for making me feel welcome. I will take your advice to heart and rest knowing that others are praying for her (and her babies) as well! :bluepaw::hearthrob::redheartpump::hearthrob:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just to agree with the others, including thanking you for your good heart and your trying.

As you want to analyse. Its not easy to do all in once, it becomes easily a chaotic situation, as you noticed. So plan beforehand as long as you can, both main plan and reserve plans.

The main fault come earlier: you should spay her much earlier, before she become preggo. Probably taking her in a trap. Next the planning. IF you want to take care of a homeless high preg, the best is to do it inside. Safest for all, and above everything: the easiest way to foster her children. So you should plan on enticing her inside. Possibly with a trap yes. You say it wasnt easy, you dont have good place for three different quarantine places. But in the end, you did found a suitable place, the basement...

And as you noticed, high pregs wants the best for their children, a safe and good place becomes easily better than "freedom". So they are surprising easy to give shelter inside to.

Here it fell apart in the chaos, so you must contend yourself with plan B.

Her doing what she does outside, as before, and hopefully coming to you for food and water, and perhaps even some petting. With time coming to you with her surviving children.

As an extra bonus you have still the hope, she will led you to her litter, and you perhaps can collect the litter in a carrier. She will almost surely follow after inside your home, to the prepared room in the basement... Dont forget to talk nicely and sweetly the whole time. Some rescuers manage excellently with this...

HappyCatMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In response to stefanz:

"As you want to analyse. Its not easy to do all in once, it becomes easily a chaotic situation, as you noticed. So plan beforehand as long as you can, both main plan and reserve plans."

The Mama cat was pregnant from the first time she visited us as a stray cat. I could not have spayed her as she was already pregnant, and would not have aborted her litter. So I'm not beating myself up about that.

"You say it wasnt easy, you dont have good place for three different quarantine places. But in the end, you did found a suitable place, the basement..."

Re: Plan B placement in the basement. This was not a very viable option to begin with and I resorted to it only as an emergency back-up when I saw her level of distress. Given her unknown health issues, the decision was made before hand by my husband and I that she not come in the house. Again, I only tried the basement when I saw her distress and desire to come in (which I did not anticipate given previous behavior).

"Don't forget to talk nicely and sweetly the whole time. Some rescuers manage excellently with this..."

Throughout her time with us, I spoke only kindly, softly, and gently with her. Thus, the level of trust and rapport we had with her.

I appreciate your reply, however, I'm not sure you have an accurate understanding of all the hard work, time, and effort we put in to making her birthing experience a success given the fact that she came to us pregnant.

Admittedly, this was clearly my first time assisting with a pregnant cat. There have been many lessons learned. But I think one must take into account that we can only work with the hand we were dealt. We did the absolute best we could given the nuances of the situation and in the interest of protecting the health of our indoor resident cat.

We remain vigilant and hopeful for her and her litter to return or be found. My husband just finished circling the property looking for her. We appreciate helpful comments and most of all prayers for her and her babies.

HappyCatMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:hearthrob:Update:hearthrob:
We had severe thunderstorms with lightning and heavy rain throughout last evening. My husband and I continue to call and search for her. I freshened her food and water dishes last night after calling for her in hopes that she may find her way back. My husband found that the food dish was cleaned out this morning, and we have not typically had any other animals come to our door, so we are hopeful that she may have come by for food. I can't imagine how she left the kittens, but I'm trusting that she knows best, left them protected, and returned with a belly full of food. :bluepaw:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I absolutely would not give up hope, and would continue leaving food and water for her. She knows where you are.

Cats are excellent at hiding their babies! :)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope she comes back! She's really pretty. I love calico/tortie cats. She looks like my very first cat when I was a child. Don't feel bad, you did your best, it's not easy trying to get cats to do what you want, they have a mind of their own!