First Time Frontline Application. Is She Okay??

DeniseK27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! So long story short, I have two adopted feral sisters. They are about a year old now. I noticed a flea on one of them and my aunt gave me Frontline Gold application tubes (brand new box) monthly applicators. I read the instructions, watched a video so I knew the correct way and place to apply the ointment. I applied it right between the shoulder blades I guess in the "scruff" area. It seemed to go on just fine, but within seconds, she bolted around the room. I asked a friend, and she said she might have just had a mini panic attack. They are skiddish to begin with and I'm sure she wasn't happy with what I just put on her clean coat.. well now it's 3 hours later, she's eaten a bit here and there and no problems, but occasionally she'll shake her head and do a short quick run before stopping and her eyes are half closes. Then she seems to calm down again. When I pet her, she purrs. And no signs of change in her breathing. I do think she's drooling a little, but not foaming. I'm sure she somehow licked a bit of it, but these are my first cats and my first time applying this ointment. Just want to hear what everyone thinks of the symptoms. Also, if she does ingest some, will she be okay? Thanks!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There can be reactions to frontline, or any other medication, but its rare. If she licked a bit then she will drool and foam at the mouth a little, i had one lick a fair amount, silly cat, and he foamed up quite a bit, but he was fine. Some cats will have a reaction and loose the hair in the area you apply it, i have never had this happen. And if the dose was too much for her weight it could make her sick.

It can also sting and burn a little, i think. some of my cats act like it bothers them, other act like nothing going on at all. Mine never seem to have any issues with it after an hour or two.

If she has calmed down by now, seems normal. eating drinking, using litter box. Not hiding or lethargic acting then i think she will be fine.

If she is acting off, or you are worried a vet check never hurts. And if they had fleas you will most likely need to have them treated for tapeworms. Where there are fleas there are normally tapeworms to deal with :(

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. Frontline Gold is a newer product. The ingredients are a little bit different than regular Frontline Plus, which is the one I use. The new Gold version adds pyriproxyfen. So maybe that is what she's reacting to. Did you put it high enough on the back of the neck where they can't reach? I find the middle of the shoulder blade, then put it a little above that.