First Time Fostering a (Possibly) Pregnant Cat

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, all. About six weeks ago, the shelter I volunteer for gave me my first ever pregnant cat. She was showing at the time, though I don't know how far along she actually was. She seems healthy, happy, and active, and has been dewormed. I've also provided a covered nest and an uncovered one so she can take her pick when the time comes. One thing I am a bit confused about is the concept of the pinking of the nipples. Her nipples (at least the ones she let me check before she decided she was done) range from a kind of bubblegum pink to almost red, but they don't seem to have expanded or started milk production. Is this normal for a cat who is probably about 7-8 weeks pregnant? Any other advice would also be greatly appreciated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thanks! Those are very helpful! I'm still a little bit confused about the nipples thing, though. Should they be producing milk at this stage in her pregnancy?
It varies. But its quite common the milk is coming in quite late, occasionally even first after the delivery.

so, to be safeguarded its wise you have home some kmr, or goats milk, + a needleless syringe or a dropper, just in case.
Also, be sure she gets nourishing food, kitten like, and be sure she gets calcium.

"The guarded is protected by God" as the proverb says. :)

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It varies. But its quite common the milk is coming in quite late, occasionally even first after the delivery.

so, to be safeguarded its wise you have home some kmr, or goats milk, + a needleless syringe or a dropper, just in case.
Also, be sure she gets nourishing food, kitten like, and be sure she gets calcium.

"The guarded is protected by God" as the proverb says. :)
Thanks! I will definitely add picking up KMR to my list of errands for tomorrow.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, the mammaries tend to engorge at the very end of pregnancy, usually the last few days to a week before birth. You’ll see white “crust” on the nipples sometimes, which is dried milk that leaks. Full milk usually comes in at or just after birth, with kittens initially suckling colostrum. :)

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, the mammaries tend to engorge at the very end of pregnancy, usually the last few days to a week before birth. You’ll see white “crust” on the nipples sometimes, which is dried milk that leaks. Full milk usually comes in at or just after birth, with kittens initially suckling colostrum. :)
Thanks! I'll keep checking her nipples every day.

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A quick update on my foster: It turns out she wasn't as far along as we thought she was. We've now had her for 7 1/2 weeks and I think she may be showing signs of prelabor. Her nipples have definitely become much bigger and she's been wandering around the house yelling quite loudly. She's also been grooming her tummy and genital region with increasing frequency. Are there any other prelabor signs I should watch out for? What's normal at this time?

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  1. You might give her a saucernog MR every day. This will provide her extra calcium and protiem, And continue doing so as long as she continues to nurse her kiyttens. Maybe feed her kitten kibble and/or kite tined food/ Again, for as long as she is nurs9ing her kittens. Buy the powdered form of KMR. Then you only need to mix as much as you need.

Provide updates! Please!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
These articles should be helpful:

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth? – TheCatSite Articles

Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth – TheCatSite Articles

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens! – TheCatSite Articles

Kittens will “drop” towards the end and your cat may look smaller as kittens are nestled closer to the birth canal.

White dots on her nipples are dried milk. Apply bag balm, olive oil, or coconut oil to her nipples and mammaries to keep them from chapping.

You may see clear or pinkish mucus the final few days. This is normal. You may also see her lose her mucus plug up to a week prior. The plug can be yellowish or greenish.

You’ll know when she is having contractions. They look like waves down her sides.

Good luck and keep us posted! :)

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much! I'll definitely give those articles a thorough read. Also, I have one final question: Hathor (the foster) is very young. She was actually described by our foster coordinator as the youngest pregnant cat she'd ever seen. I'd guestimate she's maybe 6-8 months old. I'm in contact with people from the shelter and we'll get her to an emergency vet if needed, but I'd like to know what kind of complications might arise from such a young, small cat giving birth so I can be prepared.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thanks so much! I'll definitely give those articles a thorough read. Also, I have one final question: Hathor (the foster) is very young. She was actually described by our foster coordinator as the youngest pregnant cat she'd ever seen. I'd guestimate she's maybe 6-8 months old. I'm in contact with people from the shelter and we'll get her to an emergency vet if needed, but I'd like to know what kind of complications might arise from such a young, small cat giving birth so I can be prepared.
Aside of birth complications (not that very common as one would fear), its quite common in the beginning she doesnt know what is happening. Ie, you must be there and if necessary, help her out with cutting off the umbilical cord, dry them off, put to teats... Try to soothe and calm her.
Do have gears at home to handfeed them if necessary.

After a while, they often catch on anyway what they should do, and most become good moms anyway.

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aside of birth complications (not that very common as one would fear), its quite common in the beginning she doesnt know what is happening. Ie, you must be there and if necessary, help her out with cutting off the umbilical cord, dry them off, put to teats... Try to soothe and calm her.
Do have gears at home to handfeed them if necessary.

After a while, they often catch on anyway what they should do, and most become good moms anyway.
Thank you! I've got sterile gauze and surgical gloves as well as PetAg KMR and Miracle Nipples Mini should I need them. I'll definitely be there for her when she goes.

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Quick update: I do believe Hathor is in pre-labor. She lay down in one of the many cardboard boxes she has in her room and suddenly convulsed very briefly (pre-labor contraction?). It was sort of like a wave down her side. She's curled up in her favorite bed now. I'll keep checking in on her periodically.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Has she dropped? Ie suddenly seems less high preg? If so, its prob beginning of prelabor. If not, its probably the Braxton - Hicks convulsions [contractions], the same as with women. Its a way of body to prepare, to strenghen up the muscles involved in diluting and parting at birth

Quick update: I do believe Hathor is in pre-labor. She lay down in one of the many cardboard boxes she has in her room and suddenly convulsed very briefly (pre-labor contraction?). It was sort of like a wave down her side. She's curled up in her favorite bed now. I'll keep checking in on her periodically.

Last edited:

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has she dropped? Ie suddenly seems less high preg? If so, its prob beginning of prelabor. If not, its probably the Braxton - Hicks convulsions, the same as with women. Its a way of body to prepare, to strenghen up the muscles involved in diluting and parting at birth

The Braxton-Hicks convulsions may very well be what she's dealing with. Pretty much all of my familiarity with pregnant cats comes from watching TinyKittens' rescue livestreams, and I'm finding it's quite different in person. I've got her confined to one room of the house (except when she's crafty) just in case. Thanks for all the help and explanations.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The Braxton-Hicks convulsions may very well be what she's dealing with. Pretty much all of my familiarity with pregnant cats comes from watching TinyKittens' rescue livestreams, and I'm finding it's quite different in person. I've got her confined to one room of the house (except when she's crafty) just in case. Thanks for all the help and explanations.
Nice to hear our comments helps. I want to add, I wrote B-H convulsions; the more common name is B-H contractions.