First Time Flea Treatment, Worried

a028

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats are both 7 years old next month and this is the first time they've ever had a flea problem. After lots of exhausting trial and error with natural products and constant bathing & vacuuming to no success, I bit the bullet and got Bravecto gel from the vet, administered yesterday. One of my cats may have a flea allergy, so they needed to go.

Both were itchy the hours following treatment but were fine by this morning. Found lots of dead fleas. I stayed home from work to make sure they didn't have any other reactions, and other than sleepiness, everything seems normal. But tonight one of them just threw up their dinner they had just eaten. Vomiting is a bit uncommon for him though it could just be he ate it too fast, and have nothing to do with the bravecto, but my mind just always assumes the worst.

Is this a normal side effect and/or what are normal side effects, and when should I get worried? Medication this strong gets me pretty nervous :(

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have never heard of vomiting as a side effect of flea treatment. I hadn't used that particular one but the ones that you get from the vet are generally safe. An allergic reaction is always possible even with ones from the vet, that is usually a dermatitis type reaction. Hartz over the counter is the one that can be a big problem for cats. The reaction is usually neurological in nature and presents as a seizure like reaction.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vomiting is an adverse effect in a small number of cats. Its listed in the little info sheet with tiny little print that should have been in the package: https://us.bravecto.com/pdfs/Bravecto_Cat_PI_155373_R8_8.5x11.pdf

The vomiting may or may not be related to the Bravecto, though. Eating too fast, just having an upset tummy for some reason, etc can cause vomiting in cats. Call your vet if you want reassurance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

a028

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Besides the vomiting last night he’s otherwise normal so it must’ve just been him eating too fast. They’re back to itching a bit more than usual though, but I suppose that comes with treatment as the fleas are dying.