First time doing wet food.

Ladewyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I was waiting cause I really wanted to know what was considered decent. When I look up that cat food, I calculate 15.5% carbs. That's not bad at all. I think the reason why I didn't look into this product is because it's got fish in it. I don't feed my cats anything with fish unless it's a weekly treat.
The thing I like about it is that even though it has fish, it's not really fish based. Because the first 7 ingredients are meat, but the fish is only the last 2 of those 7, so it's primarily chicken, turkey, and duck making up the protein content. I think the fish works to make it more palatable, and does provide some protein, and probably some beneficial fatty oils, but it's not like other fishy foods where it's a primary ingredient.

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the info, that's rad you've studied feline nutrition! Yes, your opinion is highly valuable, don't think otherwise. For so many it's just hit or miss. My main concern with dry is the water content. After having my senior cat go into kidney failure, I knew I was going to do something different when I got new cats. That's when I tried to do everything right & read up & study what "the experts" had to say. I just switched to raw in the last month or so & it's a real challenge to even get my cats to eat a can of wet food now. I don't want to leave raw out all night at bedtime.

Good deal. I'll look at the food I'm feeding & look at the calorie content

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Weruva is great but is pricey. Look into Soulistic which is the lesser expensive version of Weruva and made by the exact same company. Petco sells this brand and often has food sales.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
It's really important to remember that no one diet is perfect for every cat. What works for one cat could be detrimental to another. What works for months your picky little cat may refuse to eat all of a sudden. Maybe that's just my cat. ;)

SuzeeQ, my cat gets both wet and dry and I have no issues with her being overweight. It really depends on each cat. When my mother adopted her cat she was quite overweight and a kibble addict. My mother added wet to her diet and cut back on the kibble, but still feeds some dry and she has lost a lot of weight and is doing well now. Not every cat is a kibble addict. :)

I hope the trial bag you ordered works out well. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

suzieeq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@LTS3  Thank you for that suggestion, I just looked at Soulistic's site and I'm definitely going to go try these out once I finish off these weruva cans.  

@AbbysMom  Yes I know what you mean.  My last 2 cats were super picky about their food.  I tried a bunch of great brands and they wouldn't touch them.  They were both on dry food only but they were a tad bit overweight.  But they were not very active cats either, esp as they became older.  I want to do wet and dry with my new cat just because of the water content in the wet food.  Ive been watching my new cat and he's definitely getting a little belly.  I dont know if it's because he was a little underweight from being at the shelter for so long so I'm noticing him fill out a bit more or if he's gaining too much weight. But he eats EVERYTHING! lol he is not picky at all and always seems hungry.  He finally finished his last of his antibiotics so I'm going to take him to my vet for his first check up.  He should be able to let me know if he's over weight or if he's okay.

Thank you all for the help :) I really appreciated it.

Last edited:

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thank you for the info, that's rad you've studied feline nutrition! Yes, your opinion is highly valuable, don't think otherwise. For so many it's just hit or miss. My main concern with dry is the water content. After having my senior cat go into kidney failure, I knew I was going to do something different when I got new cats. That's when I tried to do everything right & read up & study what "the experts" had to say. I just switched to raw in the last month or so & it's a real challenge to even get my cats to eat a can of wet food now. I don't want to leave raw out all night at bedtime.

Good deal. I'll look at the food I'm feeding & look at the calorie content
You can leave raw out if you leave it frozen.  It will thaw during the night and he can nibble.

suzieeq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Verdict from the vet: my new cat is healthy but is a fatty that likes to eat 

Vet said I'm feeding him too much, so I need to cut back on his meals so he doesn't become overweight.  Also said to feed him more dry, than wet.  

Last night, he had his normal one can for dinner at 6pm.  I decided to give him a little more that night because he wouldn't be able to eat all day today because of his neuter surgery.  So I fed him at 10:30pm and he ate then entire portion at 10:30pm (after he ate all his meal at 6pm).  He couldn't have been hungry already so now I know, he just likes to eat and will eat if food is placed in front of him.  

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Verdict from the vet: my new cat is healthy but is a fatty that likes to eat 

Vet said I'm feeding him too much, so I need to cut back on his meals so he doesn't become overweight.  Also said to feed him more dry, than wet.  
This is terrible advice for an overweight cat. Dry food is full of fillers and carbs, and super addicting. Low carb wet food would be a better choice if he needs to lose weight. If you want convenience, CatMate makes a automatic feeder with ice pack in it. You can put wet food in it and program it to open at a certain time. 

suzieeq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

This is terrible advice for an overweight cat. Dry food is full of fillers and carbs, and super addicting. Low carb wet food would be a better choice if he needs to lose weight. If you want convenience, CatMate makes a automatic feeder with ice pack in it. You can put wet food in it and program it to open at a certain time. 
He's not overweight, nor does he need to loose weight.  He's still a growing kitten.  Sorry,  I should have made it clearer, I just call him my "fatty" cause he loves to eat. I have to reduce his food intake because I was giving him too much food (first time doing both wet and dry so I didn't know exactly how much to give).

And he didn't say to just feed him dry food only, he recommended dry food with the wet as a supplement every day.  As I said before, many have their own views on food preference for their fur babies, but my vet is making his recommendation after blood work and stool samples and all that good stuff.  He's been my vet for over 8 years and has saved the lives of both my previous dog and cats and I trust him 100%.  

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

He's not overweight, nor does he need to loose weight.  He's still a growing kitten.  Sorry,  I should have made it clearer, I just call him my "fatty" cause he loves to eat. I have to reduce his food intake because I was giving him too much food (first time doing both wet and dry so I didn't know exactly how much to give).

And he didn't say to just feed him dry food only, he recommended dry food with the wet as a supplement every day.  As I said before, many have their own views on food preference for their fur babies, but my vet is making his recommendation after blood work and stool samples and all that good stuff.  He's been my vet for over 8 years and has saved the lives of both my previous dog and cats and I trust him 100%.  
Oh sorry! I didn't see the kitten part. That's what I get for skimming threads. :) I just saw fatty and feeding too much.