first time clipping claws

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Today I clipped Lilly's claws for the first time myself she was ever so good only squirmed a little no hissing bitting and I only ended up with one scratch as she lauched to floor after we were done only ttimmed her front claws for today but I'm proud of us both for staying calm she was amply praised and treated after both front paws were done :clap:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She also sat on my lap for an hour to be brushed she never sits that long to be groomed! I got a whole 2 brush fulls of shedding out before she got fed up and wandered off! Again she was beyond praised and given yummies for being such a good girl. I did during brush time check her back claws and from climbing her cat tree they aren't really in need of snipping! I can only imagine this is from all the climbing and that my girl is lazy about the front claw care hopefully when she realizes that I'm going to keep clipping them when they get out of control she will get into a routine of maintaining them! I am proud of her though as she went from being okay to groom to being impossible to groom! Lilly and my 2 year old had a run in where my daughter tried to brush Lilly's back end I think she may have got a bristle jabbed somewhere!!!!! Thus the aversion but I kept trying and it seems my patience and praise came up trumps :D we have a happy kitty who is now hiding somewhere in the lounge though I can hear her purring!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
   Great work getting Lilly back to being a preened and pampered princess kitty.  I am sure your furniture and vacuum cleaner will thank you! 
  An hour of brushing and grooming is a real accomplishment.

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nice! When I clipped Oliver's claws for the first time, I got two of them before he ran off! Took me a few days to get them all clipped. After a few weeks, he'd sit through the process. So now I clip them regularly and he just lays there. So awesome that your kitty behaved the first time!

Have you tried brushing her teeth? I can't get Oliver to stop eating the paste off the brush!

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have never tried brushing her teeth but she doesnt trust me around her mouth after she tried to swallow a sewing needle and thread I had to pin her which wasnt nice so we use dental treats for now

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tomorrow I'll be making a stab at her hind claws as when I inspected them this morning they are looking a bit long to! I'll give her the day to relax today though as I don't think she'd sit still for me today :)

luv2cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Congratulations!  When I first got my girl at 5 months old I would clip her claws while she was sleeping LOL It worked, but I also made sure that I always handled her paws so she would get used to having them touched.