First time cat owner - cat hasn't pooped yet!

neato

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rescued a cat yesterday. She's very small, about 5 years old, and very sweet. She is getting acclimated to the house and slowly starting to come out more and more. She rolls on her back and lets you rub her belly, butts up against your hands, etc. The only problem - she hasn't pooped yet. Her appetite has been good; she ate dinner last night and breakfast this morning. She has peed in her litter box but no poop. I've mostly restricted her to the laundry room while she acclimates, and only open the door to the kitchen and living room when I can supervise her. Unless she has ninja, non-smelling poops, she hasn't pooped anywhere else, though I have checked all the nooks and crannies she has access to.

I gave her 2 litter box choices - a covered one with a normal litter (not the one she was using before because my local store doesn't carry it, but tomorrow I'm going to make the drive to get her the litter she is accustomed to) and a topless one with a pelleted litter. The latter is what she peed in. 

I know I probably sound like every other new cat owner, but I'm just worried and overprotective I guess! She seems totally fine otherwise. She's sitting next to me on the couch right now begging for pets.

alistair

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's probably fine. One of my cats only takes a dump every 1.5 days. High quality canned food and some raw gets digested more efficiently.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for rescuing this little cat.  Sounds like you are doing the right thing with letting her settle in in a smaller area and allowing her to explore a little if she wants to when you are around.  Still, she is almost certainly pretty stressed and is having to cope with loads of changes so it might take her a day or so to pass anything solid.  Also, unless you know what she'd been eating and when before you brought her in it might be a little time is needed for her to process food she is taking in now.  If she has a reasonable apetite and her belly isn't getting distended or uncomfortable chances are she is just settling down.  If nothing in a day or two I would look to take her along to a vet, but that is probably a good idea if you have just rescued her anyway, to check she doesn't have any health issues you are not aware of, and check about things like spaying.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neato

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the quick replies all. She is going to the vet on Tuesday for a check up and a bath, though she is spayed and UTD on all shots. They did give me a little of the food she had before, Science Diet, and I'm mixing it with Blue Buffalo (and seriously, I feel like I can already see the difference, like her coat seems shinier and less dry!) mixed with a little wet food. She chows down. I'm glad to hear that she's not totally abnormal :)

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Good that you were provided with a little of the food she was having before.  I hope she settles quickly and you are reassured that all is well soon. I'll have my fingers crossed that all is well for her at the vets on Tuesday, and that bath you have planned isn't too stressful. 

neato

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: Sammi has started using the covered litter box to pee, so I removed the other box to conserve space. However today, she keeps going into the box and digging around in there for a few minutes, then comes out. I keep checking to see if she's pooped yet, but nothing, just seems to be digging around in there. Is this normal or is she trying to tell me something? Too much/not enough litter? Or is she just being a nut? 

/cat noob questions

astroboy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My recent rescue didn't go to the bathroom for nearly 48 hours after I took him in. He ate and drank with gusto, but was maybe a little nervous about his new situation. I was worried, too, because I had no idea what he ate before or if he even knew how to use a litter box. He eventaually went and has been a pro litter box champ ever since!

alistair

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats will jump in and dig around for fun when they are hyper. If she was just digging and didn't look like she was trying to go but couldn't then I wouldn't worry. If you really want to induce a BM you could give her a little bit of milk or plain sugar free yogurt.

One of my cats has gone as long as 4 days without a BM. He never acted like he was constipated though. Once every day or 2 days is normal for him.

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You're wonderful for taking this little girl in!
She sounds like a sweet little thing.

When she goes into the litter box, digging around, does she posture like she's trying to pee or poop and nothing comes out? The digging around is usually them trying to stimulate their bowels, but if she's not straining it's not really a concern yet. Water will help if she is a little constipated. Mix some canned food  with enough water to be soupy.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

You're wonderful for taking this little girl in!
She sounds like a sweet little thing.

When she goes into the litter box, digging around, does she posture like she's trying to pee or poop and nothing comes out? The digging around is usually them trying to stimulate their bowels, but if she's not straining it's not really a concern yet. Water will help if she is a little constipated. Mix some canned food  with enough water to be soupy.
Good advice from Susank521 I think.  Do try to keep an eye on her and if it looks like she is straining at all then a trip to the vet sooner rather than later would be best.  Hopefully it is just her settling in and trying to get things moving though.

neato

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good news, I found a BM while scooping Sammi's box! Celebration! LOL. Thanks for all the wonderful advice in the meantime. Now I can stop worrying (for now, anyway).

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
  Your poor little girl, did she know what a well celebrated kitty poop this would be?  That would be enough to keep her from performing for a start! 
   I'm really pleased she seems OK.  May you sleep well now, and no more worries about your new girl for a good length of time.