First Time Birth

MartheLilly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im so sad. My Lilly started giving birth today while i was out w my two youngest kids. My eldest (12yo) was there Trying to keep me posted by phone while i hurried home. Long stretches of bad-no reception... First kitten took too long I think...and my inexperienced cat might have been slow with getting the sack of the kitten, my son cud not get it going and even tho he tried it stayed still. I finally got home, removed the dead kitten, calmed the kids and helped Lilly deliver another. Again the sack seemed to confuse her and she was not removing it, merely eating placenta and licking herself. I got the kitten out, checked face for residue and got her licking it. It is a lovely little one and w a little assistance went straight to nursing :) Shortly after another one appeared, so so still...tongue looking too not pink. I tried all I cud think of but no... :( then everything stopped. after 2h of stop, And heeding advice on several sources I called a vet, emergency phone since all is closed here (it’s nighttime). She advised me to wait abit more, try feeding and watering. -cause I know there’s more, I feel them moving, and to contact her at a set time if nothing happened until then. Within the last 20min of that time limit Lilly starts getting real contractions but it’s another stillborn. I am devastated...I try everything I know to get it going but no. 3 dead! I still think there’s more but it has all stopped again. Reading on this site about birth, pauses in birth etc and looking at Lilly’s state (eating, resting,some panting and tiredness, being mom) and the new kitten (absolutely fine) Im gonna wait, let nature do its thing, feed and stay w her. See if there’s more. Cannot understand why this is happening she has been absolutely fine the entire pregnancy. Don’t even know why I’m writing this, getting the grief out I guess

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my goodness! This is a really tough thing to go through. I’m so sorry.

Sometimes there is no explanation. Do the stillborns appear full term?

It’s wonderful that you have one healthy kitten at least. So sad about the others.

If she has more, and is in no distress, letting nature take its course is best.

Please keep us updated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MartheLilly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the sympathy

They all look full term to me, although slight variation in size. First one was biggest.

The two of them seem fine. She gave birth in my bed, settling in the nesting box I left in the room after a while. Had to change a lot of sheets tho... but who cares!

We’re all trying to catch some sleep/food/milk now.

MartheLilly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And one more came now...outside it’s sack, back feet first seemed to get abit stuck while almost out. Helped her through a last push and tried again to get the kitten going...Lilly helped too, but no luck. I feel like I never wanna have kittens ever again and so sorry for my cat for all the pain and we somehow failed at helping her get through it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s very upsetting, but you really did all you could to help her.

It’s best to spay her after this litter weans, which was a big litter. That may have been part of her problem. Don’t let her outside at all until she is spayed. Cats mate like rabbits, regardless of an existing litter.

Are the two living kittens nursing well? Is mom doing okay?

I’m so sorry you, your children, and your mama cat had to experience this.

MartheLilly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And one more came today at noon...outside it’s sack, back feet first seemed to get abit stuck while almost out. Helped her through a last push and tried again to get the kitten going...Lilly helped

MartheLilly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I dont know why this posted twice, Im sorry

MartheLilly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Its only one live kitten out of five. Lilly and the new one (What i meant When i wrote both) my eldest insists on calling Lille (means:little), is just fine. They stay in my room, getting lots of space

But Also kids stopping by w concern and admiration. Nursing and resting.

We just had a little funeral, lets both me and the kids cry abit.

I know We will love and rejoice over our new one, But right now We just miss the others.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry this happened. This sounds like it was an extremely rough labor for mom.

Would you like help finding a low cost spay center in your area for a few months from now?

MartheLilly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live in Norway...so I think I must find it myself. But thanks anyway. There are a few places I know of, got my former cat neutered nearby so there are some options.

I’m leaning towards something going wrong during early stages of first kittens delivery and prolonging the whole process as likely cause of this horror.

She struggled, and it hurt, but I’m not sure it was very unusual. I did wonder if she tired a lot on the first therefor her pushes was less efficient after, but they did not really take very long coming out as soon as the real contractions happened. So idk...

I keep her close so I’ll know if she’s not well. Thankfully I have most of tomorrow free too. So I’m able to keep her monitored in case she doesn’t recuperate as expected.

Right now she is stretching out on the floor leaving the tiny one sleeping in the nest for a sec. it stays content if I leave my hand there.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please be sure to keep mom 100% inside and away from intact males. She can get pregnant again at any time, even without going into heat.

Let us know how she is doing.

MartheLilly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It seems to b going fine, But She leaves the kitten to go Lie outside the nest more today...i made a bigger nest thinking She’d like a bit more room...But She persists. She returns if the kitten calls but it takes a while. If it was a pile of Kittens i wud not worry as much But i worry over its temperature when its alone. Nursing seems fine too, but right now i find myself thinking anything possible will go wrong, and sleep will not come to me.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s okay for mom to take breaks as long as she returns to nurse the kitten when it cries.

Can you add a heat source for the kitten when mom is absent? It is critical that the kitten stay warm, as kittens cannot regulate their own body temperature for the first 3 weeks.

A heat source is ideally an electric heating pad set on low under a blanket, with room for the kitten to move off if it gets too warm. However, a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel and placed nearby is good, as is a sock filled with raw rice and microwaved for 5 minutes, then wrapped and placed nearby. This is usually good for 4 hours or so.

You must try to rest!

MartheLilly MartheLilly

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also, you are in Norway. Our StefanZ StefanZ is in Sweden, so he can assist on your time zone when I am not available due to time zones, as I am in the USA (Florida). Thank you StefanZ StefanZ !

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If its really hot as it may be in the summer, the need for extra warming isnt as big.

It may even become important to cool down some.

Become cold is a major danger but be overheated is another danger - although not that common.

MartheLilly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Its hot here theese days, But cold-ish at night, i regulate by opening/shutting window. It works I guess, as long as I don’t sleep all night and can alter it by need.

I ended up moving them back to the little nesting box, and they are settled there.

I got some sleep in this morning after sending the kids off to school and seeing Lilly more focused and calm w the kitten.

I have observed she uses her litter box, she has drunk water but is more into the wet food, and there is milk for the kitten.

Deworming and spaying is on the agenda, as she is an outdoors cat.

Maybe it will be ok.

MartheLilly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Things feel more normal now! And thank God for that!

The kitten is growing, Lilly is moving about taking care of herself, but taking care of the kitten too, I’m allowing myself to get attached.

And tonight I might sleep easy!

Thanks for input and letting me have a space to fret and worry. This has been an ordeal!