First taste of raw

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, this discount, warehouse pet store near my boyfriend's house carries Nature's Variety frozen/raw for cats and dogs.

And they had a special ... by one "taste of raw" bag ( small ) and get the second one free.

I had been toying with the idea for quite some time, but don't feel comfortable going it alone or feeding straight raw and working out the supplements, etc.

So, yesterday, I bit the bullett and got a bag of chicken/turkey and one of lamb... .which is what they had available.

This morning, I opened the lamb bag and took out ONE frozen patty. I put it in a clean dish and took a sharp knife and shaved off little pieces to give to the cats as an experiement. Would they or would they not eat this?

Eeeeepp! I thought Archie was going to take my fingers off!

All SIX loved this little "treat," even fussy boy Rex. Prowler kept getting up on his hind legs and tapping me with a front paw! Tex of course, grabbed his and ran off, growling, which is what he does when he really, really, really likes what he is eating.

So, I have decided that I am going to do this a couple times a week.. give them "treats" of raw food. I don't think they will mind.

I can't really afford to bring it into rotation in their overall diet, but I can certainly spoil them, right?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am all for adding in some
... Keep the dry food away for at least 4 hours 8-12 is better

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds like a plan that will make everyone happy.
The description of their reactions is so cute!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I am all for adding in some
... Keep the dry food away for at least 4 hours 8-12 is better
I can try... but I am not there very much. When I say I am giving them a little raw, I mean maybe a half-ounce each.

koobe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

I can try... but I am not there very much. When I say I am giving them a little raw, I mean maybe a half-ounce each.
AddieBee,

Good start!! My cats reacted the same when they first tried raw. I know commercial raw can be expensive, but 1/2 oz sounds like a good start. When you are more comfortable, then you can make your own, and it will be MUCH cheaper.

Right now I have their diet about 10% dry, 30% commercial raw and 60% homemade raw. Sometimes I mix a fish canned food into a jar of homemade raw I make. I feed Rad Cat for my commercial raw.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well... I had thawed a couple of the NV medallions and cut them up to give to the boys with their wet food. I got a mixed reaction... the brothers were NOT interested after really liking bits of the frozen. The other cats liked it well enough. Casper was so-so with it. Of course, Archie and Tex eat EVERYTHING!!!

The biggest surprise for me was Ghost. He REALLY liked it. He finished Casper's food with the raw mixed in. He was gurgling, clicking and trilling for more.

My little carnivore!!!

Now someone did puke a little bit in the garage. Don't know who it was .... Tex is the likely culprit since he IS my puker and he was gobbling up everyone else's wet/raw when I turned around.... His eyes are most definitely bigger than his stomach. But I will be more vigilant in the future.

koobe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I personally do not like NV. I do not like its rubbery paste like texture.
That is why I only feed Rad Cats. And that is what my cats like the best.

I heard people encounter freeze burnt NV too. I only tried 1 bag of NV and returned it. But it was because I bought a lamb one and then found out Panther is allergic to lamb.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by koobe

I personally do not like NV. I do not like its rubbery paste like texture.
That is why I only feed Rad Cats. And that is what my cats like the best.

I heard people encounter freeze burnt NV too. I only tried 1 bag of NV and returned it. But it was because I bought a lamb one and then found out Panther is allergic to lamb.
I did notice a touch of freezer burn. These two bags cost me five bucks. It is simply a trial for me.... I am not sure where I am going to go with this.

One of the local supermarket chains here has really good meat. They have their own butchers. Maybe I get a little chicken or stew beef... and hard freeze it .. and use that for treats.

ETA: Rad Cat is a West Coast product... not available in Michigan.

koobe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

ETA: Rad Cat is a West Coast product... not available in Michigan.
I did not realize Rad Cat is not available in Michigan. I have been looking at Aunt Jeni (from Maryland) online. Not many stores here carry it. If it happens to be available to you, please let me know what you think in case you try it.

Good luck on the raw, it sounds a good start!