First Step Away From Friskies Poulty Platter Addiction! :)

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Vega had addiction:
Friskies Addiction~
The number of cans showed how frustrated I could get and those were only a part of them...
Fortunately, we made a breakthrough this evening. I finally made the decision to do "no Friskies or no supper" to Vega. It's not easy. Three hours passed supper time, she finally started eating. She got Fancy feast chicken feast pate and Nutrience sub zero fraser valley pate (red circled in the first photo). She finished Fancy feast but left something from Nutrience. From what I could tell, it's sweet potato (My smart girl! :D ). She also had some raw turkey neck as treats :)
Now, it's time to think about what would be her main food. After doing some research, I am inclining to give her Boreal. I like the idea that it's made in Canada with North America sourced ingredients. Also, there is no plant!
Will see how it goes and any comments/suggestions are appreciated :)

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think the ingredients in Boreal look great! I think it looks high-quality, but some TCS nutrition experts might be able to tell you more.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The Boreal looks good, but the question still remains, will she eat it :wink: ?

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
If she likes whole earth duck(saw it in your photo) like mine do, she will probably like whole earth beef, Merrick rabbit, Soulistic chicken pate & shreds dinner also. Mine won't eat the really expensive stuff, so I feed the middle range food, which still cost a bit because I don't feed kibble, I only do wet timed feedings and everything gets eaten in 15 minutes.I sprinkle purebites freeze dried chicken on top of their meals for crunch factor. I buy large dog size bag at chewy.com and break it up. (Same as cats only cheaper) I give it to my dogs too!❤❤

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If she likes whole earth duck(saw it in your photo) like mine do, she will probably like whole earth beef, Merrick rabbit, Soulistic chicken pate & shreds dinner also. Mine won't eat the really expensive stuff, so I feed the middle range food, which still cost a bit because I don't feed kibble, I only do wet timed feedings and everything gets eaten in 15 minutes.I sprinkle purebites freeze dried chicken on top of their meals for crunch factor. I buy large dog size bag at chewy.com and break it up. (Same as cats only cheaper) I give it to my dogs too!❤❤
Vega got Nutrience and Authority chicken this morning. She ate it without adding Friskies :) I could be too optimistic but feel she has passed the transition stage and is willing to try new staff. It fits her personality that she always likes to explore! :D
She has gained 400g since she came home at the end of April. She is 1 year old and 9 lbs now and very active. I decided to give her 200 kcal per day and will keep watch her weight.
The feeding guide from Boreal recommends 17 kcal per lb daily...

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Boreal looks good, but the question still remains, will she eat it :wink: ?
That's the problem with my two. They both love the more expensive (and different formula) small cans of Boreal, but won't touch the big cans.

That's great that Vega ate her new food breakfast today! Sounds like she's young enough to not be too set in her ways regarding food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's the problem with my two. They both love the more expensive (and different formula) small cans of Boreal, but won't touch the big cans.

That's great that Vega ate her new food breakfast today! Sounds like she's young enough to not be too set in her ways regarding food.
Just found out Boreal changed their formulas:
Boreal - Cobb Chicken and Heritage Turkey
Took a brief look, I think the main changes are:
1. all big cans have chicken now;
2. they started adding peas, fruit and berries, which reminds me of Orijen;
3. no more guar gum;
4. size from 14oz down to 13oz.
Over all, it still looks like decent food. But I may store some old ones just in case ;)