First Stage Of Labor?

QuenV92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,I'm new to this site and have been reading a few forums that seem to be a few years old. I would love new input!
My baby Jellybean is expecting her second litter of kittens any day now. I'm not sure exactly when she got caught, I had some things going on and had to leave her at my mom's for a few months and she would let her outside. I finally brought her home in beginning of March,she was visibly already pregnant. (She will be getting spayed ASAP!!)
I noticed last weekend she was starting to really lick her private areas and she started hiding behind the couch frequently. I figured kittens would be coming soon,but nothing yet.
Yesterday I stayed at my mother's house and took Jellybean with me. I did let her roam outside, but she stayed close around me instead of actually enjoying a bit of freedom. On the drive home this morning, closer to home she really started to meow,and she sleeps during car rides. When I took her out of the cat carrier,her bottom was wet and kinda gooey looking around the fur. She immediately snifeed a few places and went behind the couch.
One of the times I checked on her,she came up to get loved on and as she turn,there was a green mucus coming out of her vaginal area. She's been sleeping most of the day,shifting and changing spots and constant licking her bottom area. She's only eaten once,and just nibbled at her food. She's been very affectionate each time I check on her. About a half hour ago,I noticed more discharge but with a pinkish tint,and it's coming out a lot. She's not meowing or howling at all,but she has been moving her tail back and forth nonstop as if it's a soothing thing for her,purring as soon as I walk in.
When she had her last litter,she did extremely well. I didn't even know she was so close to birthing until I came home and she had already had a kitten. No signs at all of labor last time. Quiet and lazy.(She had four her last litter,and didn't make any sounds at all,she was such a champ!)
I have moved her into our spare bedroom with blankets spread and a pillow,she seems comfortable in there but just can't seem to get comfy for long. I have a male cat as well(He's not the one that got her,he's fixed and has been since I rescued him from the pound.) I don't know how he'll act around new kittens so I'd really like to keep her in her own room. I also have two kids that I'd like to keep away from stressing Jellybean.
Any tips and advice on what to expect and how soon to expect it would be awesome! Thank you,guys!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She's in early labor and that's why she can't get comfortable.

The green was her mucus plug. The other is normal pre-delivery discharge as well.

You've done right by her by setting her up in her own room, and by keeping your male cat and children away from her for the next few weeks.

You may want to spend the night with her in case she needs you.

We have tons of current threads going on pregnant cats and new moms too! Just scroll through this forum.

We're here to help! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

QuenV92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! I've tried googling to get some answers,which has led me to this site. It seems everyone has had different experiences with each delivery of kittens,it's so amazing!
She's started following me around everywhere and doesn't want me out of her sight. She's even started holding my hand down near her if I move it away from her.
I've also noticed that sometimes her stomach looks like a hard ball of to the side,tensed. Would those be contractions?
Again,thank you so much! I'm super excited about this litter. Her last one didn't make it a week,my mom's dog broke through the gate and got a little too rough trying to help mother. This time no dogs or anything to harm these babies!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sorry about the last litter. That's sad. :(

Yes, those are contractions!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long ago was the last litter? What is mom eating?

Yes, please do keep her totally inside and in her own room for now. She cannot go outside at all until she is spayed. Mom can get pregnant again within a week of delivery.

QuenV92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well,it was a long night but still no kittens. Jellybean woke me up multiple times needing at my body to wake me up for attention.
She hasn't eatentered since yesterday afternoon, so early this morning I gave her the broth with the chicken from a can of chicken noodle soup. She basically inhaled the broth,but ignored the chicken bits.
She's been really restless this morning. I let her out of the spare bedroom to walk around the house for a bit,hoping that would help get things moving a bit for her. I noticed the discharge was more watery-like,clear and just falling from her vaginal area in spots over the floor,faster than she could clean herself up. Do cats actual have a water that breaks,like us women?
Her walk is very stiff and waddle like,almost as if she can't put her legs together. And it looks like her vulva is opening up,its very noticeable when she walks and seems to be longer almost. I'm not 100% certain on it opening,I've never paid attention to that area before,but you can't help but notice it today.
Her belly is more downward and very hard. No howls or meows,but she didn't with her last litter.
Her last litter of kittens was more than a year ago. (February of last year) She will not be going outside,Sunday was her first outside adventure since I brought her home with me. I live near a lot of woods with foxes and couldn't handle not having her return one day and also explaining that to my children. Even though she will is no longer an outdoor wanderer,she will be fixed as soon as the new litter is completely weaned,and those kittens will be fixed aswell. (Our local clinic does $10 spay/neuter once a year in July)
Hopefully it won't be much longer and we will have some new kittens!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, my guess is that you'll have kittens in the next 24 hours. Her tummy is hard, her vulva is open, and the kittens are low.

Cats do break water. Not only is each kitten in a sac, but there is another sac in each horn holding them.

She's ready to pop, bless her heart!

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your counting down to blast off! Lol It's a waiting game now. Try to keep her in her room and stay with her as much as possible, she sounds like she's determined to have this litter literally in your lap and your lap needs to be available for her use!

QuenV92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to stay with her as much as possible, but with two kids it's a bit difficult. Each time I leave the room,she'd hop back on the bed and give a small meow when I come back in. She's finally resting on the blankets and pillow and off the bed. (Thank goodness!LOL) She did finally really knead the blankets on the floor with lots of purring. And keeps moving into a laying position on her side with her tail up and legs open. She's doing so good so far,drinking lots of water.
No heaving breathing or panting, but it's almost like her heart is beating out of her chest.
Back in with Jellybean I go! Wish us luck!

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your really close. She's desplaying all the signs of getting ready to go into labor. If I had to guess I'd say a few hours at most.

QuenV92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her breathing has gotten deeper,but still with rythem and not panting. She's resting but licking about every minute or so. A few moments ago when she lifted her leg to clean herself up,there was a big gush of clear,watery mucus. It almost looked like a bubble. Is this normal?

QuenV92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kneading and purring like she's in pain trying to coax herself! She's going back and forth from her food bowl and to her nesting area,almost like she's needing a distraction.
I'm getting so nervous and excited for her!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, this is it. She'll be pushing pretty soon. Poor gal is so uncomfortable.

QuenV92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Giving her some privacy for a few minutes. She seemed to be getting uncomfortable with me around. She was purring and resting,then immediately started a soft meow and flicking of her tail. I tried reassuring her with some petting on her head and she jumped to the bed and didn't curl up on the edge to still be near me,like she was doing before.
Hopefully after she gets through the first one she'll let me be closer by just in case!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Every cat is different. It sounds like she certainly does not want to be touched right now!