First Pregnant Foster

christinesfosters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's around 3 years old and super pregnant. The rescue staff named her Kiwi. She wants attention 24/7, she even fell asleep in my lap yesterday. I have her in my foster room (a spare bedroom) with everything she needs, but when someone isn't in there she is meowing her head off. She'll stop for 5 or 10 minutes, then start again. All night. I have a dog who is concerned about the meowing (although he's getting used to it) and 2 cats of my own, so I can't just let her wander. I even tried sleeping in there (on some pillows I dragged in, not comfortable) but she wouldn't just sit and sleep, she had to come sit on my head (literally) or wouldn't stop rubbing on me and moving around. Is there anything I can do to help her be calm by herself? Will it get better when she has her babies? 32130682_778619682324090_3574264666970390528_o.jpg 31939554_778605882325470_6686382013848485888_n.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow, she is very large! She also looks very young. Poor kitty just wants/needs comforting.

Pregnant cats are also extremely affectionate in general, due to hormones. She should redirect her attention to the kittens more after they come, but she will still want attention for herself too.

Do you let her out of the room at all?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

christinesfosters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, apparently she was trying to tell me babies were gonna come soon! She had 7! Kittens throughout today. She seems like she's done, but her belly is still distended and I can feel something, but I don't know if it's a kitten or organ. She's also still oozing some blood. She just wolfed down a can of kitten food, so that's good.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Congrats! She will need a larger nest for herself and the kittens.

Have you weighed the kittens? With 7, there will probably be a runt or two who get pushed off nipples and may not get enough. They may need supplementing with kitten formula.

Kittens should gain 6-10 grams each per day.

Mom may spot blood for 7-10 days while her uterus heals. The uterus is lumpy until it shrinks back to normal size.

christinesfosters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's got a bigger one I will move them to, she apparently liked this one. I haven't weighed them yet but I will.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Congratulations, 7 healthy kittens, wow! Good luck to Kiwi & you, keep the pics and updates coming.

christinesfosters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Everyone weighed in nicely, the lowest being 96g and highest 120g. I had a kitten in my last litter whose birth weight was around 70g, so this is nice! I tried doing a sharpie dot on the tabbies different feet because right now they all look the same but momma washed them off :/ would the tiniest bit of nail polish on a tiny nail be okay?

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try the polish on their tail tips! :)

Are all seven kittens getting ample nipple time?

christinesfosters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I put some on their nails of 1 foot each, but I think I'll also do some on the tail tips to be safe. The problem was letting the polish dry before the baby started crying and mom got worried. I weighed again tonight but it's hard to gauge since their dots wore off. I've had to clean the poop off some of their butts, Kiwi is so tired. How do I know she's properly pottying all of them? They seem to all get good nipple time.

I did notice that she has an extra nipple... It doesn't have a twin on the other side, it's a 9th nipple. It doesn't stick out much at all, more like a mosquito bite. To the side of the actual hole the milk comes out (and it is producing milk) there's a little red spot, like a sore. The rest look good, not too red or infected seeming. I'll attach a pic.
0511181000.jpg

christinesfosters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, should I supplementally feed any of them? Would that confuse them and make them not want to nurse from mom?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can help her out by wiping bottoms with a warm, damp cloth 2-3 times a day.

Mom needs coconut or olive oil applied regularly to her nipples and mammary areas to prevent chapping. That one in the picture looks sore. Watch for infection.

Supplement if they are not gaining weight.

christinesfosters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is that okay for the babies? How often should I apply it?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, both are non-toxic. Apply several times a day as needed so she does not dry out and have cracking, raw nipples.

Supplement or top off any kittens who do not gain 6-10 grams per day.

christinesfosters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's been 2 days since she had the kittens, and she still kind of looks pregnant. Her stomach is bloated and feels a bit firm. Her temp is normal, she's eating/drinking/using the litter box. Today she had about a teaspoon of bloody discharge. Is her tummy being still swollen and the discharge normal?

All kittens gained very well since yesterday, by the way. I also think I've worked out sexes, but not 100% sure on all of them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
All normal for now. It takes time for the uterus to contract to normal size, and moms can spot blood for 7-10 days during the healing process.

Good to hear the kittens are thriving!

christinesfosters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another nipple question! I'm a worry wart of a foster mom. Tonight I noticed the end of one of her nipples is red, like it's a blood blister. It seems to bother her a little when I try it 'milk' it, and I can't get any milk to come out.
0513182126.jpg
0513182126b.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s clearly irritated. I would not squeeze it. Apply a warm, damp compress. Then use coconut or olive oil or bag balm to soothe and moisturize. Watch out for infection.

I mentioned this on Friday in a previous thread. Have you been oiling all of her nipples?

christinesfosters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't been because they didn't seem dry in the least, but I will definitely will now.

christinesfosters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update in nipple: went to a vet and she said it's fine, just irritation. The scab is almost gone.

New question! The babies are all working on opening their eyes. About half of them have some watery discharge, no color to it. Is that normal for developing eyes? I don't remember it with my last litter. I occasionally hear sneezes, but only when they are nursing so I figure they get mommas hair in their noses. They've all been gaining 8 or more (usually more) grams a day.