First Non-Recognition Aggression - Kinda Weird

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clyde escaped yesterday without our noticing so was outside for about 4 hours. He used to be indoor/outdoor so it was never a safety issue but we were a bit worried since we didn't even know he got out. It rained hard the last hour or two. When he escapes and we know about it, he is never out more than 10 minutes.

Clyde immediately was sent to the finished basement where he always spends the night with Pip, his good little friend. This morning, non-recognition aggression, their fist. Actually their first problem of any kind. Kinda surprising to me since he used to be an indoor/outdoor and Pip never reacted to him going in or out, and the rain should have left him smelling neutral at worst. I tried rescenting him with a blanket he lays on, but I think since they spent the night downstairs, I figure at this points its probably tension from the tension rather than any remaining smell issues. Its not *that* bad, I dont think there was actual fighting last night. So I'm going to try a separation for a chunk of the day.

Last edited:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Perhaps Pip worried for Clyde too and was cross at him.

Lily used to bite my hand a couple times when I came home from a trip (out her teeth on me really and only me).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps Pip worried for Clyde too and was cross at him.

Lily used to bite my hand a couple times when I came home from a trip (out her teeth on me really and only me).
Years ago, I had a cat that always used the litterbox pee in our suitcase when we came back from a trip, so I definitely think your right that our cats were communicating that they were ticked off.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Years ago, I had a cat that always used the litterbox pee in our suitcase when we came back from a trip, so I definitely think your right that our cats were communicating that they were ticked off.
How's today gone with them?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The skittish girl is having a hard time getting over it. Good thing the older cat is non-violent to his core. He is hissing back at times, but I don't see any likelyhood they will fight. So I figure its reasonable to just let them work it out.

Kind of a bummer, and I've always wondered if cats that have a hard time with non-recognition aggression will have a hard time accepting another kitten.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A ArtNJ Nobel has NRAgression and we didn't find it too awful. Though, his relationship with Magnus did deteriorate a bit during the introduction to Calcifer.

Basically it was about being in it for a long haul and really catering to what would suit Nobel personality wise. We also chose resilient kittens who each had experience with a grumpy older cat in the foster home.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are absolutely not fighting. And yet they are absolutely not getting over it, either or both might hiss when they get close to each other. Without fighting, I very much want to avoid the time and hassle of redoing part of the introduction process . . . but I'm not seeing progress. I guess its reasonable to give them a few more days, perhaps up to a week or so?

When they first met 3 years ago, from start to friendship was about 4 days total. I know age makes cats less adaptable, but this still exceeds my expectations in a bad way.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A ArtNJ I wouldn't separate, but I'd definitely incorporate some of those introduction relationship builders when possible. Lily and Nobel took a bit to recover from this. It very well could be that they are still miffed with one another. "You left me." "I'll do what I want." Hiss hiss. It was definitely over a week as I remember being really upset and thinking we might have to choose between rehoming one of them, which I was not sure how to manage emotionally.

IF he escapes again in the future, I highly recommend putting him in a room on his own for an hour or so with all he needs and rubbing scent stuff on him. We've had really good success rates with this. Once we let Nobel out, we always give treats to all as distractions.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A ArtNJ I wouldn't separate, but I'd definitely incorporate some of those introduction relationship builders when possible. Lily and Nobel took a bit to recover from this. It very well could be that they are still miffed with one another. "You left me." "I'll do what I want." Hiss hiss. It was definitely over a week as I remember being really upset and thinking we might have to choose between rehoming one of them, which I was not sure how to manage emotionally.

IF he escapes again in the future, I highly recommend putting him in a room on his own for an hour or so with all he needs and rubbing scent stuff on him. We've had really good success rates with this. Once we let Nobel out, we always give treats to all as distractions.
Oh, he escapes quite frequently. I don't let my 17 year old take the car in or out of the garage since its narrow and like every single family member has had issues. So there is a lot of going in and out the front door. But the escapes are usually 5 minutes. I just go outside and sit on the steps, and he comes over, I pet him, I let him stay for a few minutes and the next time he comes for petting I take him in. We try hard, but he is totally fearless, a timing master, and it doesn't seem worth the fuss of airlocking him. This time though we didn't even know he was out. He is a grey cat, and he darted past when it was already dark out. Thats a first. Then he got drenched, which I think must have been the trigger for this. The routine esapes do not cause problems, although obviously I have no idea what the future holds!

As far as relationship builders, we mainly take turns petting them when they are near each other and talking softly. That seems to help, at least in that moment. We have also given treats, but thats a mixed bag and can actually cause problems at times.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, now that I think of it, its goose season. Every year, the flock flies over just my house, not the neighbors. Every year, we get maybe 1000 goose poops on our lawns and driveway. Its totally crazy. I hear the overflights at points in October, and I'm actually hearing them now, and have heard them a few times recently, but I've never been outisde when the poops are dropping lol. So maybe, even though it was raining hard, maybe he did come in smelling different. The timing seems to match up. Haven't noticed anything in the driveway yet this year, but I haven't been looking :)

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Quite possibly! Or because of the rain he smelled more strongly of grass and soil. Or both?

I think it's only necessary for the longer escapes. I don't really consider anything less than an hour a true escape session. Lily was a bolter too and a black cat. Usually she was just on the front green space, sniffing our neighbour's flowers.

Yes food can cause more issues many times. How does catnip go? That never went well for us but I've heard others state the opposite.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haven't tried catnip. They both do like it, especially the older one. I'll give it a whirl.