First Kitten Not Cuddly Now That Second Kitten Was Adopted

TXHunny84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband found a roughly 4-5 week old girl kitten in the road back in April. All alone with no mama Cat or siblings and it was raining outside too! He said she had missed being run over by just inches!! We brought her home and decided to keep her. We only had two dogs (& 2 kids) before the kitten. She quickly became our kitty princess and was spoiled with love, cuddles, toys, treats, Cat tree, wet and dry food and vet visits for all her shots and Spay. She was very cuddly when we got her. She loved being picked up and held. She’d lay in our laps. She’d sleep with us in bed. She was always curled up in someone’s lap and we just LOVED it! We named her Katniss Meow-merdean since she kept trying to “hunger games” out feet. LOL Well I got a second kitten at the end of July because my younger daughter (10) wanted a Cat of her own. Katniss took to favoring our older daughter (14). The new kitten Dylan was about 10 weeks old and from a shelter and harboring an upper respiratory infection, round worms, tape worms and was skeletal thin!! The tape worms were SO bad he’d sneeze and tapeworm segments would come out of his nose! My vet had never even heard of that! Poor baby!! So we got him and kept them separated for a week since he was ill and wormy (all plump, neutered and healthy now) and of course Katniss was pissed! Long story short, the cats cuddle, play together and groom each other and get along fine. However, now my Katniss doesn’t ever EVER want to be held! Nor does she ever want to lay in your lap and cuddle!!!...:-( All the Lovey affection we got before is now gone. She still wants to be near us but she doesn’t always want to be petted.... I just don’t get why she changed simply because we wanted to have two snuggle kitties?... Will she ever go back to how she was?... She’s 8-9 months old Now and still aloof in the affection department.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may not have anything to do with the other cat at all. When we got Angua as a kitten she was extremely cuddly with us and with our other cat. She always wanted to be in people's laps. As she got older, she became more of a teenage kitty and was much more independent. Now that she is around 2 and a half years old she has become snuggly again. She started back up about a year ago now.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, your Katniss is about 11 years old in human terms, and has a new playmate! She's at that age when she's more interested in playing with other kids than with Mom and Dad. And then she's going to be a teenager for a few months, God help you, but after that she will very likely become the loving cat that the kitten foreshadowed. Almost all kittens go through a phase where they would rather play with another kitten than get snuggled. Part of them growing up and becoming independent. But they come back to us, especially if they were snuggle-bugs when very young.