First Day Behaviour!

Gfwilkinson05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My husband and I have just brought home our little kitten today at 10 weeks old. I've had cats before but don't remember the kitten phase all that well.

When we opened the crate she came out willingly, had some biscuits and played for a bit. During play the toy she was using got too close to the wall so I went to move it out for easier access, and the movement scared her, and she jumped and hissed.

She then carried on playing, has had a wee and fallen asleep in a safe corner of the sofa. Since she's woken up she went to the litter tray, scratched and squatted but didn't go (encouraged by husband scratching the litter, which is when she jumped in and appeared to go but didnt). But now she seems more scared and nervous than when she first arrived.

We're giving her space and I've now read not to stare at her etc, but i just qabted to check if this this seems normal? We can't limit her to one room as our kitchen and lounge is connected by an arch, so she's staying in the lounge and kitchen until she's older and more confident. It's only a small house so we hope the use of two rooms won't effect her too much.

Just looking for some advice on the normality of the above and any advice please. I'm worried about her litter tray use and her general timidness. Will her hissing at us earlier have had an effect?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gfwilkinson05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also just to mention, when we picked her up this morning the breeders advised that she was used to the whole house (already going up and down stairs), had ventured outside and even caught bats! And they weren't worried about the settling in at all. Am I just worrying over nothing and all is perfectly normal?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn’t worry she seems to be doing very well for her first day. But everything is new to her and smells different so some or even a great deal of nervousness is going to occur. She will probably be feeling much better in a few days. You set up for her seems great.

Gfwilkinson05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Phew thank you! She's settled down next to me now, she did bite earlier but I had just fed her a treat out of my hand so tasted yummy. She has squeaked and meowed a bit (silent car ride home), but I'm guessing that's normal, my old cat at my parents was very vocal.

Just making sure I keep an eye on eating and bathroom habits. She's had some treats and biscuits, and two wee's (had to scratch the litter tray to encourage her), so that seems pretty good for a first day? I was only 15 when my last cat was a kitten so it's like doing it brand new!

Gfwilkinson05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just an update, day 4 with little miss Lily. She managed to eat happily with the dishwasher on in the kitchen, however she's still very jumpy (loud sounds or some movement) and a bit nervy around us or when my husband and I make any sudden movements or sounds (such as a sudden cough) but she is letting us stroke her and she cuddles up to me to sleep during the day, and greets us in the morning.

Is this normal at only four days into her new home? I'm not sure if I'm just excusing her jumpyness as 'Oh she's only four days in living with us' when actually it's not normal. Or just worrying over nothing if it's totally normal!

Attachments

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say your girl is doing better than “normal”. That she will sleep with you and let you pet her is great progress after such a short time.

Gfwilkinson05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply, were on day five now and she's so interested in the kitchen cabinets that whenever we are in the kitchen she will climb up our legs and back into our shoulder to see what's going on, and also had a huge thing for attacking feet. We keep our feet still but it almost spurs her on. Hopefully she will grow out of it as she grows older, and will be a bit less jumpy and skittish.

She's a but nervy, but I guess day 5 that's to be expected? I think she's still really anxious

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Be sure to peel her off you and not let her climb up you. That can be a painful habit for a cat to get into. If she persists after you have put her down a few times give her a hiss or shuffle your feet a bit to discourage her.