First Catnip harvest of the season

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Catit tube for scale because we are all cat-people here šŸ¤£

Magnus for scale in the other photo? In reality my standing fan for scale.

Both the amount on the fan and the tray today. There's still more in the bucket outside. (It's invasive so you can get fined for growing it in the ground in Ontario). I grow it in a pickle bucket which that size will likely only make sense to other food service workers.

I think my first harvest is a year's worth of catnip!

Attachments

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow! That second photo really puts it into perspective. My cats say they'll be right over! :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think I'll need to start selling it! šŸ¤£

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I see your cat approves! We have it growing wild here, I see the cats rolling in it once in a while. You have a great harvest!
Magnus is excited for it to dry out so he can cronch it.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, nice! Those leaves are big.
Yes very much! We have a photo from last year where we compared the leaf to our cat's heads! The leaves are bigger this year I think.

Attachments

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes very much! We have a photo from last year where we compared the leaf to our cat's heads! The leaves are bigger this year I think.
I don't know what it is about cat heads, but when I find a leaf, or have a Chiquita banana sticker, or comb out a bit of fur from them, onto their heads it goes. Cute photos!!!

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have grown catnip for years. This is the first time the catnip has been subject to some type of insect--I assume mites or flying something. White spots on leaves. I am treating with a commercial (Home Depot) Neem Oil solution. I make sachets out of the dried catnip, and give away some to friends and others I donate to an clinic for fund raising. My question is: will the solution interfere with the scent? I won't give any cats the leaves to chew on. (My resident cats don't like catnip.....) Thanks a lot.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
ritz ritz

I don't think Neem oil is safe for cats. A quick search shows that it's non-toxic but can cause a host of side effects . Is Neem Oil Toxic to Cats? What You Need to Know! | Hepper Neem oil is absorbed by the plant so I think you'll need to cut down your catnip and only feed cats the new leaves.

Ive always attracted beneficial insects to my garden instead. I've planted different native plants to my area to do that.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks. Just to be clear: the dried catnip would be in a sachet, which I make. Sewing machine closes all four corners. I don't think a cat would so enamoured by the catnip that he would be able to tear open the sachet. Still cut down? Thanks.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks. Just to be clear: the dried catnip would be in a sachet, which I make. Sewing machine closes all four corners. I don't think a cat would so enamoured by the catnip that he would be able to tear open the sachet. Still cut down? Thanks.
The cats wet catnip sachets with their saliva to activate it.

I have no idea if the neem oil would still be there after drying and then cause any effects or be reactivated by the wetness. You'd have to contact a professional about that and I have no idea of you'd need a vet, a chemist, biologist or botanist or a combination thereof to get your answer.

When it gets that complicated, I go with "better safe than sorry" for my personal activities.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's a good point about the cats wetting the catnip sachets with their saliva.
Yes, better safe than sorry.
Will cut down the three plants and hope the new growth doesn't get the white spots.
Thanks.
Cindy E

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's likely powdery mildew anyways. It might have been too humid