First Cat. Spat Process Terrifying Me.

kittyemojis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
7BB275BC-4703-4675-93DE-389FD5C6D685.jpeg
This is my first kitty, I’ve had her since she was about a week. She’s 8 months now. haven’t been able to get her spayed because I was financially (and still am often times) financially unstable. Found a great place that does them for residence in my area free, so the time came today.

Even though my day was exausting, ever since getting my girl back from the vet, I’ve been so stressed out. She’s jumped, ran from me and everything. I’m so afraid the incision will tear I’ve resorted to keeping her in a big ol box :/ (not the box in the image, of course).

She even sat in her water container! I guess her grogginess made her nonchalant about sitting in a thing of water but as you’d expect, it added more stress onto layers of packed in stress to boot. Luckily it’s small, so I don’t think it even reached the incision but—you know.

I’m too afraid to take my eyes off her, but I’m in dire need of sleep and I start training for a new job Saturday. I feel like I’m gonna breakdown. I don’t know what I’d do with myself if something happened to her while I’m not watching her like a hawk... I sent my sister out with my card to get a small e collar for her so I can at least try sleeping in peace knowing she can’t reach the incision :( please share some calming words of wisdom? I’m gonna keel over, I swear.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear you are getting a surgical collar - put it on her and be firm about keeping it on her, she will fuss but you have to be strong - you do not want her opening up that incision as it could be very serious.

Also cats react quite differently to recovering from anaesthetic and being on pain meds - some sleep, some go racing around with wild eyes, some try to get as close to you as possible and keep nearly keeling over sideways off your lap (my Sonic after his dental work last year). That will probably improve within the next few hours as it wears off.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Spay incision stitches are pretty hardy. Of course there are cases of them coming loose from extreme rambunctiousness, but not usually. They will withstand running and small jumps. I just fostered a kitten with a serious abdominal wound and he would run, jump, and even climb and his stitches never came loose.

With the ecollar she should be fine! The biggest risk of opening stitches is from the cat chewing or licking them and the collar will stop that. Thanks for spaying!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyemojis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Glad to hear you are getting a surgical collar - put it on her and be firm about keeping it on her, she will fuss but you have to be strong - you do not want her opening up that incision as it could be very serious.

Also cats react quite differently to recovering from anaesthetic and being on pain meds - some sleep, some go racing around with wild eyes, some try to get as close to you as possible and keep nearly keeling over sideways off your lap (my Sonic after his dental work last year). That will probably improve within the next few hours as it wears off.
Ahh, this is great to hear! I got the e collar on the second try and already feel so much more at ease for her health. Thanks for taking the time!

kittyemojis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m glad to hear that you were able to get her spayed! Cats recover well from it, in not too much time. That being said, there are a few things to keep an eye out for: Spaying And Neutering - What To Look For After Surgery

How is her incision looking? Any bleeding, discharge, or swelling?
Fine to my knowledge. No discharge, no redness. Is it safe to assume swelling would appear red too? Checked her incision again just to be up to date. Her skin is pale, so it’s safe to say everything looks good since an issue would be easy to spot on skin so light :) there appears to be a lumpy look around it but I’ve read up about that being the norm, so I’m not concerned about that. She did come home today after all!

kittyemojis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You are awesome, and she is lucky to have you!!
Ahhh, thank you so much. That means a lot to me, I love her to bits. Absolutely can’t think of any harm coming to her! I was absolutely heartbroken seeing her unable to move and such right after she came home! I was so ready to nap because of my long excruciating day—but instead I’ve been on edge keeping an eye and ear out diligently, hahaha

kittyemojis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Spay incision stitches are pretty hardy. Of course there are cases of them coming loose from extreme rambunctiousness, but not usually. They will withstand running and small jumps. I just fostered a kitten with a serious abdominal wound and he would run, jump, and even climb and his stitches never came loose.

With the ecollar she should be fine! The biggest risk of opening stitches is from the cat chewing or licking them and the collar will stop that. Thanks for spaying!!
im afraid she’ll hurt herself trying to leap to places and such with the collar on, though. I can’t tell when it’s okay to let her out the box—I’m especially afraid to leave home with her roaming the place :’( that’s whats bugging me most at this point. Thanks for the input, looking forward to hearing back from you again!

Last edited by a moderator:

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Perhaps keep kitty in the carrier tonight in your room ? She will be safe and near you and both can sleep peacefully .
Pleasant dreams ... :catrub:

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
im afraid she’ll hurt herself trying to leap to places and such with the collar on, though. I can’t tell when it’s okay to let her out the box—I’m especially afraid to leave home with her roaming the place :’( that’s whats bugging me most at this point. Thanks for the input, looking forward to hearing back from you again!
Can you contain her to one room? Then you can remove anything that she could hurt herself on or jump on until she is healed.