First Cat Cold

mozzarellastick

Mom to Mozzie and Catrick
Young Cat
Purraise
So my second cat, Catrick, has a mild URI. He's a pretty recent addition to the household, and only my second cat. The first, Mozzie, hasn't had a cold since I adopted her. Catrick is 9 months old, had a clean bill of health as of his adoption two weeks ago, and is FIV+. He started getting sneezy and having watery eyes last week, and I took him for a vet check on Monday out of an abundance of caution (having had neither a cat with a cold nor a cat with FIV before, I'm a little paranoid). She said he should recover just fine, and that it's not uncommon for newly-adopted cats to 1) have a dormant URI virus from living at the shelter and 2) have it flare up from the stress of moving and settling in. She gave me some antibiotics and antihistamines to speed him toward good health. He's not even congested, and doesn't have a cough or anything; just a lot of sneezing and the watery eyes. Hs appetite and mood are fine, and he's sleeping well. He's had a few better days this week but was back to more frequent sneezing yesterday, so I started giving him his antihistamine in the morning instead of at night, and that seems to help. I know logically that this is a mild cold and, being so young, his FIV shouldn't have any impact, but he's also a new cat that I'm in that early, hypervigilant stage of attachment with, so him being sick is causing me a lot of anxiety. If anyone has words of advice or encouragement, I'd really appreciate them!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi - I've read that putting cats like this in a bathroom with a steamy shower for a few minutes at a time (lots of warm humidity) can help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mozzarellastick

Young Cat
Purraise
Hi - I've read that putting cats like this in a bathroom with a steamy shower for a few minutes at a time (lots of warm humidity) can help.
Did that last night! It did seem to clear him up a little, and he sneezed less overnight

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a very sneezy kitty, and yes, stress exacerbates it. She was the worst after she moved in, and again when her sister kitty passed away. We found that running a humidifier helps her. She also takes FortiFlora to help support her immune system. I also try to use unscented litter. I’m currently running an air purifier as there is a ton of pollen in the air right now.
I hope your kitty’s sneezes clear up soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mozzarellastick

Young Cat
Purraise
I have a very sneezy kitty, and yes, stress exacerbates it. She was the worst after she moved in, and again when her sister kitty passed away. We found that running a humidifier helps her. She also takes FortiFlora to help support her immune system. I also try to use unscented litter. I’m currently running an air purifier as there is a ton of pollen in the air right now.
I hope your kitty’s sneezes clear up soon!
Thanks! Yeah, I've never used scented littler, try to keep any unnecessary scents to a minimum (goodbye nice candles), and Catrick gets immune supplements in his wet food every morning. I'm shopping for a humidifier and a purifier too, just want to invest in the right ones.
Catrick's cold is much better the last couple days, just the occasional sneeze and no watery eyes! He's also clearly feeling a lot better, health- and stress-wise, because he's suddenly very playful and less sleepy and his personality is emerging much more. He even managed to get my other cat to play with him briefly. I may keep him on a low-dose antihistamine until the pollen count in my area is lower; he gets more sneezy when our windows are open! Thanks for everyone's help!

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That’s wonderful news!! So happy 💕 If it helps at all, I’ve been having success with Levoit air cleaners that I bought from Amazon. We really notice a difference when they are running.