First Aid (non-emergency) For Scratch Near Eye

ManekiNekko

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey, everyone. My cat Ace has a minor scratch above and to the outside of his left eye. It appeared two days ago, but was very minor/surface (an abrasion with no blood) and we opted not to treat it since it's so near the eye. This morning it appears to have broken open (maybe he scratched it overnight). So now I feel like I should treat it to prevent infection, but I am still leery about treating something so close to his eye.

What would you try for first aid today in this case? Should I go find some betadiene and dilute it to try to wash the wound? Or would I be better off (as far as making sure I don't do anything dangerous to his eye itself) with applying a tiny bit of plain neosporin (less potential runoff from trying to wash there)?

Attachments

Last edited:

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recommend to trim his nails. Perhaps look at using a cone collar.

My cat had something like that but in much worse form. My vet recommended to leave it alone since he is a cat. I sometimes put a cone collar on him to give it time to heal but then he won't eat and sulks. My old vet was giving him antibiotics which helped a little, but those have side effects, and he actually did better after we stopped the antibiotics. Neosporin gives cats diarrhea, so if you use that you'd need the cone collar then wash it off (and ensure you have the right kind).

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd leave it alone. Minor cuts heal quickly on their own as long as the cat doesn't bother it. A tiny bit of the original Neosporin can be dabbed on if you feel like something is needed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ManekiNekko

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Carebare, he just had his back nails trimmed two days ago, but I'll check them again. The wound does appear very shallow, so he may have run into the corner of something and then accidentally made it worse himself by scratching it (he had a similar wound once before that we took him in for to make sure it wasn't infected). We do have a collar, so we'll try that if he keeps worrying at it. He's never worn it before, and I don't imagine he'll take to it well! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ManekiNekko

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
LTS3, Husband and I ended up going ahead with applying a tiny bit of neosporin (since that was also what the vet said to do with our cat who had a forehead injury). So I guess for now, we'll keep watching to make sure the scratch and/or neosporin doesn't irritate his eye and keep hoping we don't have to take him to the vet for it.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I also hope you won't have to seek medical help but if you notice any change whatsoever I would not hesitate to call your vet. You don't want to take chances when it comes to their eyes. Best of luck, please keep us posted on his progress.