Fireworks & desensitization

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Let me start by saying that I know it's pretty normal/common for cats to be afraid of fireworks (though not so much as dogs), but I've never had a cat before, so I don't know precisely how much fear is normal and whether it's a good idea to try to get my kitty used to it.

This Fourth of July, my Juno hid all night and wouldn't come out for about 6 hours afterward, even for her favorite treats. Granted, it was pretty loud, bc people were setting off professional-grade fireworks half a block away. Last year, though, she was fairly fine. Thing is, I live in a city where fireworks go off pretty much every night during late June and July. And Juno now seems much more sensitized to the noise, even when it's a few fireworks many blocks away. I may have inadvertently made the situation worse because I tend to keep a quiet home (inside voices, rarely play music, etc.).

I've read online that noise aversion tends to get worse over time, and that some people recommend slow desensitization, such as playing videos that have soothing music but include sounds that gradually get louder over time. Had anyone tried this? Would you recommend this? If so, how should I do it in the way that makes her the most comfortable and doesn't make her noise anxiety worse.

I don't want Juno to be spooked all summer, and now I'm starting to think maybe I should get her used to a little more noise, in case something in my lifestyle changes that makes that inevitable.

Thoughts appreciated!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know if I would do what you've described, but a different approach might be a white noise machine and a calming chew, wipe or spray.

Anyway, my boy, who is up in years but has his hearing, was pretty much unfazed by the incredible racket around us this year, so I don't believe that noise aversion gets worse but rather that it depends on the cat :)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I don't believe that noise aversion gets worse but rather that it depends on the cat :)
:yeah: I completely agree! When we adopted our last dog he was terrified of certain loud sounds, e.g. fireworks, motorcycles, thunder, etc. No matter what we tried to alleviate his fear nothing worked. As for our cats, they were completely unaffected.

How does Juno act if you vacuum, use a 'dustbuster', blow dryer, etc.? That might be one way of slowly getting her used to noise.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:yeah: I completely agree! When we adopted our last dog he was terrified of certain loud sounds, e.g. fireworks, motorcycles, thunder, etc. No matter what we tried to alleviate his fear nothing worked. As for our cats, they were completely unaffected.

How does Juno act if you vacuum, use a 'dustbuster', blow dryer, etc.? That might be one way of slowly getting her used to noise.
Juno is pretty good with the vacuum. She can be a little skittish around it but her curiosity usually overcomes it and even when she runs away from it, it's never to hide.

I think it's the surprise factor. She knows when I'm about to use the vacuum. But in my house, there's not a lot of random noises like in a livelier household.

I turned on some calming cat music on the Fourth but I can't really predict when fireworks will go off these days. If it's a self-limiting problem, then I guess we just deal until the neighborhood kids run out of pyrotechnics. I've just noticed that she's been a little more skittish with surprise noises since the Fourth (like when I drop something or the doorbell rings) and I wasn't sure if it was a prelude to a worsening problem.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I understand. What about Bach's Rescue remedy or something from the website Only Natural Pet to help calm her jittery nerves for the next few days?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have used TV in general to help desensitize Feeby to all kinds of noises (that and old age giving her the appreciation that these noises just can't do something bad to her). She has listened to loud truck noises, to rain and thunder, etc. all on TV. So, try TV too. This past week, when the fireworks started outside, we turned on the TV to fireworks shows that were being aired, and Feeby seemed to think even the outside noises were coming from the TV. That settled her down pretty quickly.