Firewood?

Optatus Cleary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
2C9F80CC-62AF-4828-9F92-496DFF1BB0A6.jpeg

It’s starting to get cool, and I recently got some oak firewood delivered. Does anyone know if oak logs or bark would be dangerous to a cat? I usually put them directly in the fire, but as it starts getting rainy it would be useful to keep a few logs inside. I know acorns can be toxic (to humans as well) but would keeping a few logs inside be a problem?

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
While the acorns and leaves are very toxic, I don't think the wood and bark have enough toxin to cause any issues unless the cat is actually chewing on and/or eating it. If your cat is chewing on it then no it's not safe to have the logs in the house, or at least not where the cat can reach it.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oak, wow I envy you I can't get that here. Dry firewood should not be a problem. There are a lot of varities of oak, some are a problem but I think most are not. Also it's often the sap that is usually a culprit so dried wood likely will not be an issue. Some leaves if burned can produce irritating smoke, poision ivy is one of those. But keep in mind that they age wine and whiskey in oak barrels.The flavors from the wood are picked up in the wine so that makes for great whisky and is not a problem, but they use specific oak trees. Some woods are bad for woodworkers when they form dust but they wear masks. Anyway, I wouldnt worry about the firewood. My cats ignore it, sometimes scratch on it but mostly don't care about it unless somebody has peed on it.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I think the biggest problem is the cat scratching on it and upsetting a bundle.

Have you seen the scratching posts in zoos for the big cats? They put a whole large tree trunk in the cage.