Fip

cook65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can anyone tell me anything about FIP? We just had a kitten spayed yesterday at the Aminal Rescue League and we were told she had FIP. The doctor found fluid in her abdomen. We opted to continue with the spaying and bring her home with us. She appears to be fine. She is pretty much back to normal from the surgery and is running and jumping. She is eating really well also. From what I have read so far it appears that once the disease is diagnosised things can start to happen rather quickly. Her stomach is not swollen. What are things we should be watching for? This kitten (Rocky) was one that we found at our neighbors front porch and her eyes were matted and she didn't look well. We brought her in the house and took care of her and she seemed to be perfectly fine. What types of things can we expect? What can we do for her? We would appreciate any insight on this that anyone can offer. I am new to this forum and look forward to the information.
Thanks,
cook

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cook65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the information, KittKatt. One of the articles I had read and the second one I hadn't not read yet. They were both helpful. We will take care of our kitten to the best of our ability.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi cook65 and welcome to TCS!

There are a couple of FIP Cat "owners" groups online - made up of people whose sole focus is the management of their cats' health, Some are like you who are new to FIP, others are "old hands" with years of experience. Both groups have been functioning for many years and, in my experience, these are the places to hear about the latest in treatments, trials, studies etc. One further point: because most Veterinarians are "generalists", they cannot be expected to be "in the know" on leading edge treatments...so, these groups are often way ahead of the average Vet's knowledge of complicated diseases. Personally I've seen cases where the Vet has been stumped and the group has come through with a successful suggestion for treatment.

Here's one of them http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/FIPCatSupport/ and the other is here http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/FIP/ I'd suggest getting an email address specifically for these - it would be easier to manage your info.

I'll be thinking of you

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cook65

Can anyone tell me anything about FIP? We just had a kitten spayed yesterday at the Aminal Rescue League and we were told she had FIP. The doctor found fluid in her abdomen. We opted to continue with the spaying and bring her home with us. She appears to be fine. She is pretty much back to normal from the surgery and is running and jumping. She is eating really well also. From what I have read so far it appears that once the disease is diagnosised things can start to happen rather quickly. Her stomach is not swollen. What are things we should be watching for? This kitten (Rocky) was one that we found at our neighbors front porch and her eyes were matted and she didn't look well. We brought her in the house and took care of her and she seemed to be perfectly fine. What types of things can we expect? What can we do for her? We would appreciate any insight on this that anyone can offer. I am new to this forum and look forward to the information.
Thanks,
cook
KittKat and White Shadow have given you excellent resources for your cat with FIP. I went through it but they think it was the dry FIP for my cat Ramsey. He has either been in remission for the past 3 1/2 years or he has kicked it altogether. My best advice is to read and research so you can be well informed about the condition and the best treatment courses.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm very sorry for the diagnosis. We lost a kitten to FIP, and it was very sad. She was quite sick before we realized it, because her sister Festus would lay with her and bathe her constantly. It wasn't until they were separated when Festus was spayed that Mattie began looking really raggedy and we realized she was ill! It was too late for treatment for her, and we just kept her comfortable. Unfortunately, I was advised to keep her separate from the other cats, as it can be contagious. In retrospect, I wish that I had kept her with the other cats, as I believe stress is not good for the FIP kitty. And Festus would have been a comfort to Mattie. And the other cats were already exposed.

Sorry to go on...but I wanted to let you know that I feel for you. I hope your kitty stays feeling well for a long time. ((hugs))

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry your kitten has FIP. I lost two cats to it a couple of years ago, both the 'wet' form with fluid in the abdomen and chest. SOme people have had success in extending life with Transfer Factor, a food supplement powder extracted from bovine colostrum that calves get from their first mother's milk and that greatly boosts the immune system. I put my other cats on it after the exposure to FIP and they have all been fine, though they might have been so anyway. It was too late for the ones I lost. Good luck with her, I am sure you will do all you can.