Finicky cats who get more finicky when given more choices

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

That's interesting! And here I thought variety is always better so a cat doesn't develop allergies. I'd love to read that article when someone finds it!
This is also my understanding.  I know my IBD kitty developed an allergy to chicken after being fed chicken almost exclusively for a long period of time.  Of course there is know way of knowing if feeding it exclusively for a long time is the cause of the allergy.  My vet believes that it does contribute to allergies.  Unfortunately he can't tolerate beef and I keep fish to a minimum so I have to feed things like rabbit and lamb which are the more expensive foods.  Fortunately his allergy showed up in his ears rather than digestive issues.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Shadow's exactly the same as Jenny stephenq stephenq He won't eat any kibble except for his royal canin urinary s/o, but he's impossible with his wet food - even to the point of loving something at one meal, the refusing it point blank a few hours later :rolleyes: He's got tons worse as he's got older too. Asha's being a good influence on him though - he's eating and enjoying foods he's previously rejected just because he can see me taking them to Asha. I just have to hope he doesn't corrupt her :lol3:

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I know what you mean ..  I am glad the a/d worked for her . How is she doing now ?
Thanks for asking! She's doing pretty great now. *knock on wood* Just threw up one time 1.5-2 weeks ago after trying Sheba beef pate. I immediately threw away the beef pate in case she is allergic to beef or the Sheba pate. She hasn't thrown up since, except for a hairball. She now has a nice little mound of Orijen Regional Red in a new large stainless steel bowl that helps her eat neatly. She's such a messy kibble eater. :D I got that bowl at the dollar store! So glad I did! Works better than her other food bowls. She still has 4 other types of dry kibble out in case she wants to eat them. I have to toss them soon. She's drinking water out of the drinking glasses I designated for her, so I'm fine with her wet food strike.

I'm so glad I decided not to fight her on her wanting to drink water out of my drinking glasses. She'd just think I was crazy/mean for depriving her of a water source anyway. :) She seems to love reaching from the bed to the nightstand to drink water out of the glass I put there for her. She probably still thinks she's drinking out of my glass. ^.^ She tries to reach over to the taller drinking glass I'm using now, but it's usually empty or too far away. Haha. Those taller ones are not safe from her, however. =/ I've seen her reach her paw inside those ones to drink the water. She sees what I'm doing and wants to copy (and steal my seat) sometimes. :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Shadow's exactly the same as Jenny @StephenQ He won't eat any kibble except for his royal canin urinary s/o, but he's impossible with his wet food - even to the point of loving something at one meal, the refusing it point blank a few hours later
He's got tons worse as he's got older too. Asha's being a good influence on him though - he's eating and enjoying foods he's previously rejected just because he can see me taking them to Asha. I just have to hope he doesn't corrupt her
Jenny's only three so we have a long way to go!

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks for asking! She's doing pretty great now. *knock on wood* Just threw up one time 1.5-2 weeks ago after trying Sheba beef pate. I immediately threw away the beef pate in case she is allergic to beef or the Sheba pate. She hasn't thrown up since, except for a hairball. She now has a nice little mound of Orijen Regional Red in a new large stainless steel bowl that helps her eat neatly. She's such a messy kibble eater. :D I got that bowl at the dollar store! So glad I did! Works better than her other food bowls. She still has 4 other types of dry kibble out in case she wants to eat them. I have to toss them soon. She's drinking water out of the drinking glasses I designated for her, so I'm fine with her wet food strike.

I'm so glad I decided not to fight her on her wanting to drink water out of my drinking glasses. She'd just think I was crazy/mean for depriving her of a water source anyway. :) She seems to love reaching from the bed to the nightstand to drink water out of the glass I put there for her. She probably still thinks she's drinking out of my glass. ^.^ She tries to reach over to the taller drinking glass I'm using now, but it's usually empty or too far away. Haha. Those taller ones are not safe from her, however. =/ I've seen her reach her paw inside those ones to drink the water. She sees what I'm doing and wants to copy (and steal my seat) sometimes. :D
That is great , I am glad she is doing better ..