Finding A Home For A Stray With Ibd

WannabeCatLady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, I have taken in a stray that has been diagnosed with traumatic Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Basically, any time something big happens in her life, she gets bad diarrhea that requires medication to get rid of. She’s lived in my house for coming up four months, but she doesn’t get along with any of the other cats (she loves them, but they hate her). So here’s my dilemma: I need to find her a good new home, but how do you find a home for a cat with a bowl disease? Anybody have advice? Ive been thinking about calling some local vet clinics to see if they would take her in as a clinic cat, because she’s actually chill with other dogs and cats. Anybody know how that process would work? Please help.

I would be willing to pay for the round of medication that would be needed after her move, and I would provide litter box, a pail of litter, toys, and a bag of food.

Attachments

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First let me say you are awesome for taking her in! Poor sweet one. If there is any chance of letting her stay with you there are ways to get your cats more accepting of her. That would probably calm down her IBD. Is she spayed? If not, that could cause rejection by your other cats. She is sooooo adorable! I love her picture! However, if you feel you have to find her a new home, understand that it will be stressful for her.
I would start with the vet that you already use. If you trust them then they would be your best, first lead. Even if they cannot take her they probably have a Facebook or other social media page. You could ask them to put the information about her there. Then I would ask that vet for any other vets in the area that they approve of. Just start making phone calls or going there is person. No internet for this! The personal touch makes a huge difference!!!! Ask them if they, or anyone they know could provide her a safe home. Be clear about her condition. Again, if you trust them, ask them to let their clientele know about her. Moving is going to be tough for her so I think it’s great you will start them off with the medicine or some form of care she will need.
I would also get in writing whatever deal you make. Make sure you have some say in what happens to her if it doesn’t work out where she goes. Be the first required contact if she gets rejected by the new home. Updates are something I require from those who adopt. At least for a hike and especially if there is a health issue. An adoption contract is common. You might make out a list of your bottom line requirements that must be met to keep her safe and protect you rights with her until you feel confident she is in s good and safe place.
I expect you will get some others posting here with great information so please check back in. I’m very glad you came to thecatsite. There are lots of experienced people here who care. It’s a great place to get help! Welcome to the site!:welcomesign: Thank you for saving this kitty! In my world,,,,,,,,,:rock:! I wish everyone was so caring.
There are some things that might help her to stay calm. Maybe that would help the IBD. Furballsmom Furballsmom is a great one to tell you about that.
Please keep posting here and let us know how things go. Your picture just makes me want to hold and snuggle her! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WannabeCatLady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice! She really is the sweetest kitty. Honestly, the IBD isn’t a problem to me. She just has too much energy for my other two cats, and I think she's probably a little too territorial for them. One of my cats hisses at her any time she gets close and yowls whenever she tries to play with him, and the other will tussle with her. I’m not sure whether it’s playing for fighting, though, because she always hisses and runs away and after each “fight” I find bits of hair everywhere. All my other posts on this site have been about how to attain peace, but nothing has worked. I think she needs a home with only humans or a home where the other animals are not a permanent fixture. She liked my mom’s dog until he stayed with us for more than a week, and she likes my roommate’s cat as long as said cat doesn’t take up my attention.

She is spayed, though, which caused the most recent bout of IBD, poor dear. She’s still ultra possessive of me, and she “fake sprays” around the house. This is my first time dealing with a stray like this, any other advice that might keep her in my house, because I won’t lie, I tear up thinking about giving her up. But she’s not thriving here.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Thank you Jcatbird Jcatbird :)

Regarding calming products, one of the most popular is feliway but there have been comments of the diffuser getting quite hot when it's plugged in, and sometimes it doesn't have an effect on the cat(s).

You could try low volume classical harp music, there is an app called Relax My Cat, there is MusicForCats.com and also George Handel compositions are known to help a cat to relax.

Also, you could try one of these, only a small selection of a fast-growing section of pet products;
Bachs Rescue Remedy, Richard's Organics Pet Calm-this one is drops that you put on the tip of the tongue. Also, Quiet Moments Cat treats, there is Calming Care, Calm-o-mile, Sentry, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has a calming product, Pet Naturals also has one I believe.

Also Thunderease has diffusers as does Sentry.
You might want to check with your vet, but some people have good results with CBD oil, plus there are vet-prescribed calming products too.
Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, drsfostersmith, animaleo, Petco and PetSmart, and other pet stores.

There is a product called a lickimat which could be helpful, as cats can be calmed by the process of licking. The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

This discussion's post talks about some other products;
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You really have not had the kitty very long. Adjust to new cats takes time. She looks to you for protection and security. Maybe letting her in with all the others went a little too quickly. Could you give her some time with the others and some time alone? Maybe restart the introductions at a little slower pace? Did she meet them all at once or one st a time? If she could start with making friends privately with one then she would have an ally. I think there are ways she can be integrated into the group. If you want to work on that then I’d be glad to help you try that. I have to do that a lot when bringing in recues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WannabeCatLady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Their introductoin was very slow to begin with. She was separated from the other for five weeks while we fought against giardia and, malnutrition, and the worst part of her IBD. I started her off with an introduction with my friendly, laid back kitty, Mycroft. He was hissy at first, but reached a point to where he didn’t mind her as much. Once he was chill with her, I introduced her to Josiah. I got Jos when I was working at a shelter, so he’s seen his fair share of fosters come in and out of the house. He hasn’t dealt with a foster that stayed for longer than a few weeks, though, and definitely never one that was as clingy as he. He was interested in Poppy when she was on the other side of the door, but really disliked her when he met her. Since then, he’s stayed much the same, no matter how many times I try to reintroduce them. I’ve tried plugging feliway in, and I’ve tried playing with them separate. It seems the other gets jealous whenever I play with one alone. And he absolutely hates it when she tries to play with him. He runs, hisses, and swats at her. Whenever he’s sitting by me, she’ll creep up and smack him, even when he’s not provoking her. I’ve had her in house since mid-August, and I’m sorta reaching wits end. I appreciate your advice!

Furballsmom Furballsmom , I’ve been reading a lot about CBD! I’ve actually been researching its uses for IBD, and I’m definitely asking my vet about it. Hopefully, she’s not too close minded about it. I live in a tiny town in Texas, and our vets are more than a little old-school

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh boy. I do know that routine. Lol I have a vouoke if jealous and insecure babies here too. My Bonjure still goes through bouts of being jealous. I have to give him extra tlc and private time to get him to leave my old girl Smokey alone. He swats her then she turns and swats Dolly. The domino effect. I tell Bonjure no and stop him. When they calm down, each one gets time with mom starting with the aggressor and ending with him too. The battles stop for awhile but I have to stay aware of giving enough undivided attention to the insecure kitties. All of mine are rescues and some have been troubled before they came to me. Bonjure was found alone as a baby. No mom in sight and he was very little so sees me as mom. Smokey had a mother who died when she was an older kitten. A feral, I caught her and had to give lots of attention to help her adjust. Over the past year 100 have been through here with varying degrees of issues and ,” getting along” problems. It can be very frustrating. You are not alone in this. I have managed to mostly obtain peace. There will always be small squabbles but minimizing hurt feelings seems to keep it down to just a swat once in awhile. Sort of,” I had mom petting me first”, kind of thing. I always intervene in squabbles with a firm no and separation. It helped me to provide each cat with their own space in the form of a csge or carrier. Their safe haven that has their scent and others do not enter. Doors are left open so cats can go there if upset and leave when they feel safe. Biggest thing I can say is getting enough time with each kitty to make them understand, they are all your favorite. It’s kind of like having a toddler child and then bringing home a new baby. The first child gets worried that mom will love the new one more.
CBD oil is becoming more accepted but I live in the Deep South and no that it hasn’t reached everywhere yet. I think you can talk to the vet and at least ask them about getting it online if they don’t have it. Some of the cats are helped by feliway and some are not. That’s why I like for Furballsmom Furballsmom to weigh in. She has loads of great ideas on the calming process. Your IBD baby may not need calming as much as the others. I’d work with the ones most upset.
Encourage her relationship with Mycroft by petting them together or even putting them together somewhere for awhile for alone time with you. Maybe Mycroft will help her. Give Josiah and Mycroft the same thing. It may bridge the gap. They really are still in the “ getting to know everyone” stage. It seems a long time but cats move at their own pace. Establishing the order of who is top cat can tamale time and, for you, hanging in there. :alright:I hope something here helps. Keep us posted. :goodluck:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I currently still working on introducing 3 feral cat to my 3 resident cats. I moved to a new home and brought my 3 feral cats with me and decided to keep them inside. So I have had the issue of the feral cats getting used to inside living as well as the move and then the introductions. It has been a process. It has now been 10 months and things are still not perfect. Yet we have made progress the entire time.

It does take lots and lots of time. The first feral I brought inside almost 6 years ago took one solid year to acclimate and have an understanding with my resident cat. It was all a process. Yet so worth it in the end as they are best buddies now.

I have used CBD for arthritis pain and also for some mild aggression in cats. I have found it works quite well. It did wonders for my cat with arthritis and with the right dosage it is helping to calm one of my agitated cats.