Finding a friend for 13yr needy boy

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sqeeker is 13 3/4yr, healthy as 2yr old, and needy as a kitten. We lost his brother, Yoshi, about a month ago. They were very bonded. Sqeeker has very limited use for humans. He doesn't like to be picked up and only petted at certain times and locations. Most of the day he cuddled with his brother and if he saw his brother open his eyes, Sqeek insisted that Yoshi groom him.

Last week we thought Sqeek had FLUTD or a UTI. It turns out we have crickets and he was afraid to go downstairs. Put a box upstairs and he's fine.

Now we're all ready to look for a companion. We applied for a mother(2yr) and daughter(1yr). Mom is described as calm and supportive of other cats. The 2 of them are bonded so decided to apply for both. Daughter is silly, playful, and active. I love a playing and have the energy for her. If Mom will play with us even better. Even when he was a kitten Sqeeker would play for very short times but he'd probably join in a little also.

After we put in the application my partner has worries about getting 2. She thinks they are more likely to pay attention to each other and Sqeek would still be on his own. I think Sqeek would just go and sleep with them after the intro process.

Even though Sqeek is a senior, my heart can't handle another senior. A friend recently adopted 8-10week olds. I have fun watching and playing with them but know I'd worry about such tiny things hurting themselves and that would be too much chaos for Sqeeker.

I'm looking for input on age and weather getting 2 is a bad idea.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I didn't realize it was you posting Hellenww Hellenww and did a post about how much difficulty senior cats often have accepting new cats. But you know all that already, so no need for that. I'm very sorry for your loss.

I tend to think two gives the best chance, as they are less likely to turn that youthful energy on driving the senior cat nuts, allowing for the possibility of an easier transition. Certainly, trouble is possible either way. Years ago, I adopted two kittens with a senior cat. The senior cat always got along fine with chill kitten, and there were always problems with hyper kitten. Having two did not prevent the major problems.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The cat is for me and my partner but Sqeeker is a big part of the equation. I'm not in a rush but hope to find a cat that has a history of calmness and has been in foster care.

He's a little odd. When he see's stranger cats out the window he makes happy noises and wants to go out. Any other 13 yr old I'd be hesitant. He's more likely to walk up to a hissing cat and ask it to lick his head. He's not the brightest. He just doesn't like humans.

I'm aware of the intro process and expect it to take 6wks to 6 mts and expect to be hear looking for sanity.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What is it about his behavior now that makes you think he's needy?
He depended on Yoshi for all physical contact. Wanted to be groomed so much that Yoshi had the hiss at him to stop sometimes. Even when he no longer needed to have continuous physical contact, if they were both awake he'd follow Yoshi everywhere. I don't expect this kind of relationship but hope to Sqeeker has a cat in the house that will let him sleep close.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Every morning he loves brushing, petting, and his sides scratched. Some mornings it last so long I'm tired, others 2 min and he runs off. Then I'm not allowed to touch him with more than 1 finger until the next morning. My partner is allowed to look at him sometimes but not touch and never look and speak at the same time.

He likes his kickeroo covered in nip. He will also play with cat dancer or a string toy after dinner.

I ordered a heart beat cat this morning.

Over the years we've developed an all day schedule with him to get him more involved with us.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to think on that. I met a few 4mt old this week but hesitated because I thought a young adult would be better.
Well, you know how it is. A young adult adds another cat that could have issues, and might be perceived as a possible threat. A kitten can't have serious issues adapting, but can be more of a PITA with jumping. And its almost impossible to be certain of a kitten's personality, so you might get a hyper one despite best efforts. On balance, I tend to think the young adult, any adult really, is only better if you have an extremely reliable accounting of its personality and ability to adjust to new cats. I'm not sure there is a clear right answer.