Finding a breakaway collar for Clover

mrcloverthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I was wondering what I should be looking for when I shop for a breakaway collar for my cat, Clover. I heard you shouldn't buy them online because you should feel them yourself and see how easily they breakaway, but that doesn't really help much because I don't know how easily they should breakaway in the first place.

Right now, Clover has a traditional collar, his microchip, and his tag (which has his microchip number and company on it). But it's extremely important that he gets a breakaway collar - at the edge of my neighborhood, right behind my house, there's a bunch of rose bushes and past that is a sidewalk and then a street. It's not an all too busy street, but since it stems off of a street which is  busy, it does have enough cars to make me worried.

Anyways, so if Clover were to run outside and get caught in a rose bush's branch, then he would obviously get stuck and hurt himself. If he manages to survive, knowing how he is, he would try his hardest to get out of the branch... but with force. So if he manages to not get killed lunging himself passed the rose bushes, he would get onto the sidewalk, where people walk their dogs and ride their bikes every so often (and by the way, most people where I live have medium-sized dogs, so that's scary, too - I don't know which would love to eat him and which won't). And then if he gets onto the streets... well, we all know what would happen.

So I'd like to get him a breakaway collar because those rose bushes really pose a threat. The sidewalks and street do too, but at least the collar gets ride of one problem. Kind of. I don't think he'd go back in there with all the branches and thorns once he got out, having felt them, but he might; you never know.

I'd like to get it for him anyways, but for us it's EXTREMELY important that he has one. He's not likely to run away since we have our main door, a hallway, and then a screen door, but if he were to scratch the screen door, then well... that's not too good, is it? He's not likely to scratch the screen door since he prefers horizontal scratching (and there's a welcome mat in front of the screen door, which he scratches every time we let him out into the hallway), but this is our first cat (first pet,  really), and on top of that you don't always know with him - he changes his mind a lot.

Anyways, sorry for going on such a huge tangent, but as I asked originally, I'd like to know what I should look for in a breakaway collar, and how easily they should break away.

Thanks! :)

sparkymema

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is what I've been using for two of my cats http://www.coastalpet.com/products/product/scc10.aspx?style=06775 I didn't buy it from there but at a pet store. It breaks away fairly easy. I normally check to see if you can move the collar around the belt buckle then I just hang a 5 pound weight or something that weighs that much on the collar and see if it gives out. The one I showed buckle allows where the clip is to move around the buckle. The other nice thing about the one I have is it glows in the dark,a good collar should either glow in the dark and or be reflective. Any good color will have that buckle feature though where you can move it around. 

For fitting a collar to a cat check out 

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A lot of people use Beastie Bands. They're stretchy and can be easily adjusted to fit any cat with the Velcro closure.

Make sure your cat's microchipped is registered with your contact info. Many people mistakenly belive that paying to have the microchipped inserted into the pet is the only thing needed and that the microchip somehow automatically has the contact info.