Find the culprit or take them all in?

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So this morning marks the 2nd occasion where one of my 3 cats has thrown up what looks like coffee grounds. The first time I was out of town and returned to find it. I thought maybe it was fluke and didn’t give it a second thought. This morning I saw it again and decided to find out why it looked different (usually they throw up whole pieces of food from eating too fast or hair balls). I’m going to call their vet asap today but do I take all 3 or try to discern who the vomit is from? Also what are the other symptoms I should be looking out for (Paranoid me googled it and saw the word cancer and slammed the computer shut).

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think it depends on what your vet says really. And if your cat has opportunity to eat something like coffee grounds or dirt. (Or perhaps you mean the food is digested enough that it's that small?)

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can you put each one in a separate area and see if one of them does it again? :catrub: :vibes:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd take all three in just in case I guess wrong about who threw it. At least, that way they would be there and you wouldn't have to make another appointment and wait.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't suppose you kept the vomit? If you did, I would take that to the vet too so they can analyze the contents. It would help to give you a clue about what might be going on and what other symptoms to look for if the vet thinks it is a health related issue. I don't know how far apart these incidents occurred, but that can play a role in helping to determine what the problem could be, if there is one.

If your cats go outside, any one of them could have gotten into something out there and ate it.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If any of these three are acting in the slightest bit different from the norm, that's probably the one who has the problem. Any lethargy, diarrhea, loss of appetite? How long ago was the first occasion of vomiting "coffee grounds"? Definitely call the Vet and see if they feel it is an emergency, which it normally is, but with two instances which could be months apart (?) they might think different. Plus I guess it might depend on how much volume we are talking about. But it usually means there is bleeding coming from somewhere. Could be from the mouth, nose, esophagus or stomach. Because it's dark, it's from the upper tract, vs lower tract.

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I remember a long time ago we had a kitty that was having tummy issues. Vet said vomit that looked like coffee grounds was dried blood. Here is a clip from a google search: If the vomit blood is dark and resembles coffee grounds, it's most likely an issue in the digestive tract. Keep watch for these other symptoms that may occur if your cat is puking blood: Lethargy or weakness. Difficulty or shallow breathing

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
do I take all 3
One thing about taking all three is that there should be less chance of emotional/cranky upset by two left at the house because the third one who went to the vet smells different and not like their friend anymore.