Find A Home For A Friendly Semi-feral Cat?

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good morning!

I have a bit of a problem and I don't know what to do. I'm trying to find resources that can help, but I'm coming up empty. So here goes.

About three years ago, the woman across the street started caring for two feral kittens. She had them spayed and neutered and got their shots. One kitten was more than happy to be a house cat. The other, not so much. His name is Jenner and he's become the king of the neighborhood. Everyone knows him and everyone feeds him, and although he wouldn't let anyone close enough to touch him he is used to people.

This cat has ignored us for three years. Then about a month ago, he started lying on my sidewalk, then on the porch steps, then graduated to the porch and my porch furniture. He lets me pet him and scratch his chin and has even jumped into my lap. He's become an affectionate love bug. The woman across the street said that he just recently allowed her and her husband to touch him as well. What gives? IMO, it seems to me that he is ready for a home.

What to do? I would love to bring him inside, but I have cats already, one of which is a 4 year old spayed female who has decided she doesn't like him out there and started spraying. It's hard enough to find homes for tame cats, much less one that I'm not even sure can be taught to use a litter box. I am going to talk to the woman across the street. If she doesn't want to give bringing him in another shot, I'd love to find him a good home. Her husband says he's NOT their cat, but as far as I'm concerned, if you feed him and take care of him and he lives in your garage in the winter, he's yours. On the other hand, if he's not claiming ownership, then I have no compunctions about finding Jenner a loving family.

I live in a large urban area. You'd think there would be some resources to help advise me on what to do. Shelters won't take ferals and I don't want to take him there anyway.

Should I put up with my cat spraying and bring him inside, even if only until I can find him a home?

Thanks in advance!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for caring about this sweet kitty. When you call the shelter, I would tell them that his behavior is more stray like than feral. Yet since he has not yet lived inside a home that might be something you try first.

The protocol for bringing a new cat inside the house is to be sure the new cat has a cat proofed room of his own. You want the cat completely separated from your resident cat. Introductions between the two can happen much later after the cat is used to inside living and used to you. If possible a spare room where the bed is flat on the floor or picked up. You do not want the cat hiding and under the bed is the first place they will go. You also need to block under and behind other large furniture as cats can squeeze into very small spaces. Yet do have a safe place for him to hide even if it's just a box with a cozy blanket.

You will need litter boxes. It's best to start with 2. You can try using regular litter and sprinkling some soil on it or get some Dr. Elsey's litter attract.

Next step is a vet visit. You want to be sure he tests negative for FELV. Also be sure he is up to date on all vaccines before doing any intros with your kitty.

Be sure to get some Feliway diffusers. Both for the room with the new kitty and also one for your kitty who is spraying. THey also sell Comfort Zone phermone spray that might help her. I also like to you Composure liquid Max. It is a non sedating supplement that helps to calm cats during times of stress. I have used it each time I have brought a feral inside.

This will take time and patience and it can be done. Yet rushing things will most likely always backfire. Take things slowly and read up on cat to cat intros. I have post a few good articles and a video. Yet first step needs to be getting him into a safe room.

I hope you are able to help this one. I know how very hard it is to find home for cats. I now have 6!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for caring about this sweet kitty. When you call the shelter, I would tell them that his behavior is more stray like than feral. Yet since he has not yet lived inside a home that might be something you try first.

The protocol for bringing a new cat inside the house is to be sure the new cat has a cat proofed room of his own. You want the cat completely separated from your resident cat. Introductions between the two can happen much later after the cat is used to inside living and used to you. If possible a spare room where the bed is flat on the floor or picked up. You do not want the cat hiding and under the bed is the first place they will go. You also need to block under and behind other large furniture as cats can squeeze into very small spaces. Yet do have a safe place for him to hide even if it's just a box with a cozy blanket.

You will need litter boxes. It's best to start with 2. You can try using regular litter and sprinkling some soil on it or get some Dr. Elsey's litter attract.

Next step is a vet visit. You want to be sure he tests negative for FELV. Also be sure he is up to date on all vaccines before doing any intros with your kitty.

Be sure to get some Feliway diffusers. Both for the room with the new kitty and also one for your kitty who is spraying. THey also sell Comfort Zone phermone spray that might help her. I also like to you Composure liquid Max. It is a non sedating supplement that helps to calm cats during times of stress. I have used it each time I have brought a feral inside.

This will take time and patience and it can be done. Yet rushing things will most likely always backfire. Take things slowly and read up on cat to cat intros. I have post a few good articles and a video. Yet first step needs to be getting him into a safe room.

I hope you are able to help this one. I know how very hard it is to find home for cats. I now have 6!
Hi, thanks for your response!

With my 4 year old female spraying ever since Jenner started coming onto my porch, I'm not sure bringing him in is such a great idea--as much as I really want to! She is not my only cat, either, but she's the one I'm worried about because she's being so territorial. I have Feliway all over the house, and it's helping to some degree, but as soon as he shows up she goes bonkers. Even with the blinds down (I velcroed them to the window sill so she can't see out), she knows he's there. I don't know if she can smell him or what. The others, including the (neutered) male, couldn't care less if he's there. They would sit in the window and just watch him, but they've accepted him. Believe me, I'd take him in a hot minute if I could. I truly believe that even though he may have been feral, he sure isn't now. And he WANTS a home. Winter is coming and I'm so worried about him.

I think I may have found a local organization that can help. They are through one of our TNR programs. They assess cats for adoptability and sociability. If there is any way to socialize them, they will place the cats in foster care until they are social enough to be adopted. I'm willing to underwrite the cost of his adoption. I'm 99% sure he was cared for through them as a kitten--he is neutered so someone trapped, neutered and released him. But he's probably overdue for his shots. I know they will do that either at no cost or at a very reasonable rate.

But...I need to talk to my neighbor first. If she really cares about him (and I know she does), she'll let me do this for him.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is great that you found a place that might help. I hope it will all work out. Thank you so much for caring about him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update!

First off, she is really a he. LOL After speaking to several neighbors, all of whom are feeding and sheltering Jenner, I have decided to NOT bring him inside for the time being. Everyone says they've tried to bring him inside at some point, and he wants nothing whatever to do with it. So...I've built him a nice little house on the front porch and I'll continue to feed him. One woman says she started feeding him when they moved in 6 years ago and he was an adult then, so he's been around for quite some time and can obviously take care of himself. She still has a cat shelter on her porch for him, so he isn't lacking for safe and warm spaces to go. The woman across the street runs a heater for him and another stray in her garage during the winter, too. It's not that cold here yet, but if he seems uncomfortable at any point, I will put him in my basement during the worst of it.

My tortie has finally stopped spraying and has apparently accepted the fact that he's not going anywhere, and that is also a factor in my decision. I don't know how she would react to him coming inside, and right now I don't want to find out.