FINALLY moving!! ... help?

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay.. so we are finally getting out of this basement and onto something that my mum doesn't have to climb 8 or more stairs. But.. I am worried about Poptart. He is a very timid cat for some reason.. he never used to be like this.. this is just something that developed during the summer months. anytime someone comes to the door he runs to the first bed he can get to and stays under it until the poeple leave or until he feels its safe to come out.

Also just other things he does, I know he is not going to take this move very nicely.

This is the first place he has ever lived in.. he was a feral before practically so.. is there anything I can do to make him feel safe and not so scared.. its an extremely short notice thing.. as we move up there tomorrow.. so anything will be appreciated.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Move him last, after everything else is gone (keep him in the bathroom if necessary while the door's open all day), and when you get to the new place, make SURE every door & window is closed in case he panics and wants to go 'home' (for at least a week). Keep all his stuff together near your bed, etc. and let him be there with it. As long as he has familiar smells around him in the new place, and knows where his box and water are, and nothing new (noises, etc.) scares him, and he feels safe, you should be fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

Move him last, after everything else is gone (keep him in the bathroom if necessary while the door's open all day), and when you get to the new place, make SURE every door & window is closed in case he panics and wants to go 'home' (for at least a week). Keep all his stuff together near your bed, etc. and let him be there with it. As long as he has familiar smells around him in the new place, and knows where his box and water are, and nothing new (noises, etc.) scares him, and he feels safe, you should be fine.
We are moving up one apartment.. so the scenery and everything look the same.. I doubt he would bolt hrough a window.. but regardless they wil be shut, its too cold to ahve them open.

Nacho and Orion will take this fine most likey.. as the apartments we are going into is the one they both lived in from age 6weeks to 4 months or so. Gordito is a good guy.. awesome in all sorts of situations. Its just Poptart I am worried about.

We are moving up there slowly.. my sister bedroom just went up this evening.. and my sister and my bedrooms will be going u tomorrow, along with the cats and the dog so it can be painted in the bedrooms, and the carpets washed.. but he will have familar smell, from our bedsand a few chairs will be up there as well.

I was wondering where I might be able to find one of those Feliway things? I have heard so much about them but cannot find them anywhere!