Finally Feral Piper Took Treat From My Hand!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Piper is doing surprisingly well. She's still not coming out of her safe room but I can pet her and she's been playing with wand toys. I think she might actually really like me. She still acts a little uncertain/ spastic. So she'll come up and rub on my legs or butt my hand but she whirls around and looks at me like she doesn't know what just happened- but sometimes she will let me just pet her from her neck to her tail and she has no problems.

Sometimes I walk into the room and feel like I'm the queen and she's just been waiting for my return and she adores me. Occasionally I walk into the room and she goes right in the other direction.

She gets along very well with two of my males, okay with the other male and not so amazing with my dominant alpha female. She is willing to take up the subordinate role so really it's on the dominant female to come around to her (as it always is. Our other female is an ex semi-feral colony cat who absolutely takes up the most subordinate position and loves every other cat but she doesn't go in the safe room since she was graduated out when her kittens were weaning.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I took some pictures tonight. They show off her roundness and fearful side. I had to deflate the air-mattress in that room. To deflate it I had to lay out on top of the half-rolled mattress and pull the nozzle out. It looked and sounded like I was killing something so she was not happy with me. She still came up to rub up and get some pets but she walked away and went back to looking poofy, round-eyed and feral for the photo.

I don't know why it's coming out sideways. In photoshop it comes out right side up. I give up on technology:(

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well Piper is now sleeping on a cat lounger right next to my bed and right next to the side I sleep on. She's super lovey-dovey sometimes with me when she knows I'm approaching. So if my hand flops down to her lounger she will just take off but if she knows I'm coming she stays and gets pet- unless she's not in the mood for it lol. She adores my ex-colony male cat and seems to be ok with the others that interact with her.

She's finally starting to come out of her room and explore the upstairs rooms a little bit. We saw her peering down the stairs at us just a few days ago. Her safety room is still a security blanket for her but I think she's coming along very nicely. It's better than I could have hoped for since I do not believe she had any human interaction before trapping.

I haven't even attempted to pick her up yet. That might be a pipe dream but now that we have six and two won't be picked up we worry a little about fire safety etc. It'd be nice to be able to easily get them all packed up in case of emergency.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Piper is remarkable. I can't get over how well she's doing. She is now coming out of her safe room, eating communally with the other cats and loves being pet I can brush her with a slicker or pick at her matts (shes long-haired). I can pick her up a little- she gets nervous if I pick her up higher than my shins but...just wow... the fact I can pick her up at all is amazing to me. She's not shown any signs of aggression since the swatting she did in the very early stages of socialization.

She has one habit that is sometimes a bit annoying- she will flop down and lay across my feet. It's really adorable but if I'm on my way to go to the bathroom or when I need to get to my bed/ allergy medication/ phone it's a bit of a drag.

She is still nervous around new household noises. Since coming out of her safe room she's encountering things like the dishwasher, tv etc but I think in another week or two that'll be old hat.

I think she's going to end up being a decently social cat with humans. She's not afraid of people if she sees them petting our other cats. She's so observant. So when new people come over she will hide but if she is out and sees them interact with the others she is more likely to stick around and do slow blinking at people.

She's just remarkable. I'm certain she had zero interaction with humans before trapping and now she's accepting and wanting adoration, physical contact, closeness and she wants to be in the hubbub of daily life even if new things are still a bit scary.

All the doubts and anxiety I had before are just gone.