Filtered Water & Reverse Osmosis (pur/brita)

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A couple months ago I bought a pur sink filter along with a TDS meter that detects ppm of minerals in the water. I don’t really understand the complexity of RO but turns out my tap water had less minerals than when it went though a filter. The water tastes better with pur but the results on the meter say otherwise. Is RO just adding additional minerals to make it taste better? I don’t have a filter right now but am debating getting a Zero filter which removes every mineral. It’s true that some minerals are good for us, but it we also get minerals from food. This is not just a question for my cats diet but for just the water quality. I felt mislead by RO filters and just stopped buying them altogether.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not that this really helps regarding your thoughts or your question about RO, as I don't know, but I have the pur maxion faucet-end filters, (which, after I just now double-checked to be sure, aren't RO) and decided that was enough, or at least pretty much as good as it gets :)

I can't stand the taste of Denver's water straight out of the tap, and the pur filter gets that water tasting almost as good as the Deep Rock artesian water that I have delivered.

...I think you could contact the company regarding your under-sink model/style (did I understand your description right?), which is spelled differently, I think?

Last edited:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've reminerlized water before, and I think it tastes better with minerals in it.
We get minerals from food, but our land and food supply (in some locations) are kind of overused, the land isn't rested, and the food that grows from that land sometimes doesn't have the minerals we think they do.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pur doesn't offer an RO option, as far as I can tell.

Water put through an RO system shouldn't have any minerals, but water without minerals tastes flat so some units add some minerals back in. I wouldn't worry about minerals in water. If you had super hard well water, and a cat with a history of blockages, maybe then worry. But not under normal circumstances. American tap water is mostly very safe (barring unusual situations like Flint) and the filters are just for taste.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My numbers weren’t too high. Something like 430. I just can definitely taste the difference between tap and bottled to the point that bothers me. Zero water has mixed reviews but I’ll try it anyway. Honestly the cat has been drinking tap with a carbon filter. Does that defeat the purpose?

These water pitcher filters don’t seem to last very long.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Our well water was so bad (iron, sulphur, etc) that we put a filtration system in the basement. It's a softener and filtration with reverse osmosis and it's connected to the kitchen and bathroom. The fridge has a filter on its ice and water line. The water tastes OK and it seems to test OK.

But we still give the cats bottled spring water. We could probably stop, since we no longer have males, but females can also get crystals, so they only get bottled water.

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our well water was so bad (iron, sulphur, etc) that we put a filtration system in the basement. It's a softener and filtration with reverse osmosis and it's connected to the kitchen and bathroom. The fridge has a filter on its ice and water line. The water tastes OK and it seems to test OK.

But we still give the cats bottled spring water. We could probably stop, since we no longer have males, but females can also get crystals, so they only get bottled water.
Totally Off topic question, do you hunt and kill things? The family business?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Honestly the cat has been drinking tap with a carbon filter. Does that defeat the purpose?
In my opinion, carbon filters like this and the ones in pet water fountains don't accomplish enough regarding some of the things that may not be taken care of by municipal water treatment plants - human medications, fertilizer, weed killer and roundup etc...

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I met Felicia Day. I wasn’t in my Charlie cosplay though. Damn it lol
I like Charlie; she seems to know what she's actually supposed to be doing.

I was disappointed when Mark Sheppard was killed off. He made a great Crowley. I have a large coffee mug (and a black tee-shirt) that advertises Crowley's Hellhound Ale. :) Could anything be better than Crowley's Hellhound Ale? Seriously? I'd buy it!

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hi i just want to update my results. i said my tap water was 430, that's wrong i forgot i was making tea when i tested it lmao

my regular tap water is 110. i just set up my zero filter today and it really does work! tds was 0, but the water... tastes really flat. i dont know if that's good or bad because we've been exposed to mineral water all our lives. it's something i have to get used to. boiling water increases TDS to like 14, which is actually better than my Kirkland bottle water. The biggest issue now is how long these filters would actually last.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only reason I use a filter is that the tap water here does have a bad taste. I don't know what is causing it but I believe that the water here is safe. I just use a Brita water pitcher for drinking water and for making coffee. I use the tap water for everything else including cooking. The taste of the water doesn't affect things cooked in it. I buy cheap bottled water at the supermarket and I take that to work, I don't mind drinking room temperature water. It beats paying vending machine prices for water.

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The only reason I use a filter is that the tap water here does have a bad taste. I don't know what is causing it but I believe that the water here is safe. I just use a Brita water pitcher for drinking water and for making coffee. I use the tap water for everything else including cooking. The taste of the water doesn't affect things cooked in it. I buy cheap bottled water at the supermarket and I take that to work, I don't mind drinking room temperature water. It beats paying vending machine prices for water.
Oh yeah definitely. I used most of the popular brands for filters and so far I’m like why am I paying for filters quarterly if the filter only filters out my water 50%? ZW is definitely more expensive (because it’s 5x filtration) but I can really, really taste a difference. If this is what pure water is supposed to really taste like, I’m mind blown.