Filtered Fountains

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Help! At night my cat is sticking her paws into the water and washing her face. The result is grungy drinking water with kitty litter all down the bottom!
Last year I bought a lovely filtered fountain, but I can't get her to drink from it even if the water is still. Would it be cruel to withdraw all water bowls around the house, thus forcing her to go to the fountain when she is ultra thirsty? Keep in mind she is 'renal'.

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've never had any luck with my cats drinking from fountains, either they won't use them, they contaminate them like yours does plus it is more of a pain to clean them compared to a bowl of water. I have multiple bowls of water around the house and clean and refill them daily.

I wouldn't withdraw the existing water bowls especially if she is used to using them and she is 'renal'.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Would it be cruel to withdraw all water bowls around the house, thus forcing her to go to the fountain when she is ultra thirsty?
Not cruel, but very likely ineffective because if she doesn't like it now, she probably won't like it even if she doesn't have other choices, and so it could possibly even be dangerous to her health.

As mentioned, can you add more bowls and other types of ceramic or glass containers?

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats just like playing with the water in the bowl as well as drinking it. Phoebe much prefers the water bowl in my bedroom to the fountain in the lounge - in fact I never see her drink from the fountain now. She also likes covering the water bowl with a bit of carpet (ie scraping the carpet as if she's burying the bowl) and chucking the odd bit of litter in it. Doesn't bother her, she drinks from it regardless of any bits of fluff or litter in there.

RTR

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had a pet safe fountain for years. Yes you have to clean it obviously! Every ten days to two weeks I clean mine! It has a charcoal filter that I change each cleaning, and I buy the filters from Chewy in a box of ten. It's much cheaper that way! The cats drink a lot more water with the fountain, and yes one puts his paws in it! I have two fountains set up for when I go away for a few days! I also have an old stainless steel bowl from when I had German shephards! Two cats are 12 now and one is 15! Every three years I have the vet do blood work for kidney function, diabetes etc. They get a small can of wet food in the Am and free feed Purina One avaible all day!(From an automatic fedeer) Last blood work the vet told me my 15 year olds kidney function is as good as a very young cat! I think it's possibly the wet food each morning and the fountain! I read that many cats will drink more from running water! The fountain comes apart! I put it in the sink and let it soak with a cap full of bleach and dawn then wipe it down with a paper towel and rinse well! All animals are work! I had five German shephards at one time once ! Brushing each one, each day! Training, exercise (weather permitting etc! Ha! Cats are much less work and I found them to be calming animals, and just as affectionate!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This cat fountain is up high and paws don't reach it as easily, but it's easy to drink from. Running water is a no no...she is scared of it. Even when it is still she knows what it can do and she is afraid to get near it.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your cat's water is getting grungy, you could change it daily and use multiple bowls. A filtered fountain won't clear the water. Our cat's fountain is filtered and it would not clean water with kitty litter in it.

You might try putting filtered water in to your fountain (that already has a filter)

It might also be aware the location of the fountain that is discouraging her drinking from it.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try changing the kitty litter. It should not be sticking to their paws.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I can't post any pics, keep getting message that file is too big.

I use a generic store brand. It is clay, clumping and very low dust....nothing fancy.

You might have to try a few.

I'm in Canada and buy it from "PetSmart".

That may not be of much use to you.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. I believe I have used that one.Last year I would bring my jug and refill it from a big tub in the store. It was cheap, but lugging that was too much for my back(recent stenosis procedures
).I am afraid lugging just up my apartment stairs is enough for me to endure. i also wanted something with added odor control

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went through the litter in the water with my kidney failure cat. I believe that your cat is probably like mine and gets urine on his feet so the cat litter sticks and then as he plays in it’s water it makes “mud”. My guy had fountains, bowls of still water and even coffee mugs of water I left out for him and changed multiple times a day as his vet said to make sure he always had fresh water.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Help! At night my cat is sticking her paws into the water and washing her face. The result is grungy drinking water with kitty litter all down the bottom!
Last year I bought a lovely filtered fountain, but I can't get her to drink from it even if the water is still. Would it be cruel to withdraw all water bowls around the house, thus forcing her to go to the fountain when she is ultra thirsty? Keep in mind she is 'renal'.
Yes. Some cats may never use a fountain.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can’t force her to drink from the fountain no, I definitely would not take away her water dishes. I had a fountain for Syb, and she played with the water, but I found that it stayed cleaner without the filter so I took it out.

It really was a big job cleaning it…after she passed away, I put it away. I gave both the fountains away because Quinn didn’t like them. Now I have two large dog food dishes for water upstairs and downstairs for the kitties, it works very well.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
You can’t force her to drink from the fountain no, I definitely would not take away her water dishes. I had a fountain for Syb, and she played with the water, but I found that it stayed cleaner without the filter so I took it out.

It really was a big job cleaning it…after she passed away, I put it away. I gave both the fountains away because Quinn didn’t like them. Now I have two large dog food dishes for water upstairs and downstairs for the kitties, it works very well.
They do get slimy fairly quickly. I am also not a fan of any that are plastic. The flower ones especialy have narrow paths the dishwasher can't reach.

Dishwasher is best for things that can harbor bacteria because they get fairly hot. Would not reccomend putting the pumps in there though.

Speaking of pumps, they don't do well with hard water. Soaking with clr is how i do the outdoor fountain pump but would not recommend for a drinking fountain. Not sure clr is safe for cats.

Many are splashy or the spout is too high. I think I have only seen a couple that just bubble gently from the base up.