Figuring Carbs

sunflower7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can someone help me figuring out carbs on CAN WET food?
I know on dry I take 100 and minus protein, fat, moisture, ash and fiber right?

how about wet?

Thanks

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's what i use. lol ....bless her heart, she does the math for us :)
Yes, it's probably about as close as you can get without contacting the companies for the as fed numbers so you can calculate the dry matter carbs yourself. I've found that some companies actually have dry matter numbers that they'll give but others won't even give out as fed data. In any case, at this point, I just avoid all carby ingredients, so no potato, peas, tapioca, carrots, grains... there are others, I'm sure, that I'm not remembering!

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would go with the chart LTS3 mentioned from catinfo.org as Dr. Pierson took the time to contact each company on her list to get the TNA "typical nutrient analysis".

TNA for e.g., carbs, protein, fat is considered more accurate than deriving DMB values from the GA, guaranteed analysis, which is loosely based on minimums / maximums.

Even with Dr. Pierson's info (updated in 2017), however, some companies' formulas may have changed since then.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would go with the chart LTS3 mentioned from catinfo.org as Dr. Pierson took the time to contact each company on her list to get the TNA "typical nutrient analysis".

TNA for e.g., carbs, protein, fat is considered more accurate than deriving DMB values from the GA, guaranteed analysis, which is loosely based on minimums / maximums.

Even with Dr. Pierson's info (updated in 2017), however, some companies' formulas may have changed since then.
I agree, and use Dr. Piersons chart whenever possible. But not all foods are listed. There are some new ones out, and the online calculator gives us a good guess for any that are not on her list :)