Fighting with Daughter; Give it to Me Straight

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My DD recently became engaged and, no, congratulations are not in order. This boy has 4 alcohol related arrests, swore to DD that he wasn't drinking anymore then called my house at 7:15 on a Sunday morning---drunk, of course----because her cell phone wasn't on. The following week his aunt found him passed out on the front porch of his parents house at 8 a.m. in
15* weather. Later that same day he (according to DD) met her at the local mall, weaving from side to side and dropping items on the floor in various stores. Later that same day his sister found him passed out again---at least this time he was inside his parents' house. When they were finally able to bring him around (DD wanted to call the ambulance, but his sister, her husband, and 2 friends wouldn't let her) his excuse was that he'd taken too many OTC testosterone supplements. Of course, he was only doing it to look good for her, altho' he admitted he'd been taking 'supplements' for a year and a half and they've only known each other 5 months.

I sat her down and had the most intense talk I've ever had with her about his addictions. I really thought she'd heard me---until she saw him that night and everything was just fine again. I don't care for him, obviously, but have tried to tell myself that he's her choice and I have to make the best of it. Basically, grin and bear it.

DD came home last night after DH and I were asleep; she had to call for me to unlock the door because she didn't have her keys. Since her car and house keys are on the same ring, I immediately knew something was up. She says there's a problem with the brake lights on the car she drives (the one that belongs to DH & me), that she'd taken it to the Ford dealership, they'd given her a loaner, and that's where her house keys were. Since it's my car I called the dealership this morning to see what's wrong with it. They have no record of the car being there. I go outside to look at "the rental", which turns out to be her bf's Dad's car. Naturally, I ask where my car is; she tells me the same story. I let her know that the dealership knows nothing about it and that it's her future FIL's car parked in front of the house. (he's a salesman at the dealership) Trying to shorten this a lot----the future inlaws know I don't care for their son and thought I'd get mad that the future FIL was helping my DD by sneaking the car in to be worried on 'off the books'. So, they tell her that she should tell me the story about taking the car in and getting a rental. In other words, they told her to lie to me.

It took 2 days for the geniuses at the dealership to discover a bad fuse.
I pointed out that if I'd been told there was a problem with the lights in the first place I could have called our mechanic--whose shop is a whole block away--and had the problem fixed in all of 20 minutes.

DD admits the future inlaws and their family are 'weird'. I am scared to death about what's going to happen if she marries this character. She's at the stage where she blames everyone else when he screws up: he only got drunk because he went out with Joe, he only overdosed because he took a lot of pills on an empty stomach. I can't stand the thought of her marrying him, and there isn't a thing I can do. DH, in his infinite wisdom, tells me 'we have to stay out of it; she had to dump him on her own.' In fact, DH is convinced that if the wedding actually happens they'll be divorced within a year.

Am I totally unreasonable? I feel as if his family told her to flat out lie to me. They don't even know me. DD hasn't even brought the bf around to meet her Dad! She's my only child and maybe I am over-protective. But I look at this guy's record and his recent stupidity and it tears my heart out that DD is settling for someone like that.

I really needed to vent about this; it's been eating at me for ages. I got one of those 'gut feelings' about him when they started dating and it just gets worse at time goes on. Can anyone tell me how to come to terms with this? I seriously don't even want to attend the wedding; that would be like giving my approval for something I think is a HUGE mistake. I cry several times a day just thinking about it, and go ballistic when it seems as if DD is taking the inlaw's side over her own family's. I talk to my Mom about this a lot, and she understands completely. I just don't know how to cope with this until the wedding a year from now.

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been in her situation. My last boyfriend, before I met my husband sounds exactly like that kid. The bottom line is, I was an adult (over 18 anyway), and I wasn't going to listen to anyone. I had to make my mistakes. And you know what? I don't really regret them, I learned a lot about myself from that relationship.

I think all you can do is support your daughter, and love her and let her know you'll always be there. Let her make her mistakes. I know that's hard. Maybe you won't listen to me, but I don't think there's much you could do to talk her out of it. I'm sure she's a smart girl.

I work with a lot of young girls. They come to me for advice, and then of course, completely ignore it. They make their mistakes, but hopefully they learn from them. I was like that too.

I'm sorry you have to go through this. I hope everything works out. Maybe someone will have better advice then me, but I think the more you fight it, the more you will drive her to him.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry you're having to deal with this..
I don't think you're being overprotective.

Yes, she might learn from her mistakes and change her situation, but that's not what always happens. I know many girls who have been in that situation, they are way out of the guy's league, and I don't mean physically or monetarily, just that the guy's values and out of whack, but they stay together, end up picking up a few negative traits from the boyfriend, have babies and just change completely.

If I were in your place I would probably do everything I possibly can to send that guy to jail. From what you describe, it can't be that hard.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You didn't mention your daughter's age but I guess she's of legal age since you can't do anything to stop the marriage. If there is a whole year to go till the wedding, maybe she will see just what he is before then...hopefully.

Now I will be brutally blunt here.

If she does marry him and things go as wrong as you suspect, you're going to have to play hardball if she comes running to you each time he gets drunk and normally what comes with it...the physical abuse. Some women stay with their husbands even with physical abuse, I still have no idea why. If she comes to you with a black eye or bloody nose and still has excuses why she stays with him, then you have to wipe your hands clean of the whole mess..

As you said, there is really nothing you can do at this point, she is the one who eventually will suffer and I know that will break your heart. Your daughter has seen all the warning signs and still wants to marry this guy, then I'm sorry to say she deserves what she gets...and unfortunately you and hubby will suffer the consequences too. I hope she will see the light before she gets married because it sounds like this marriage will be a disaster.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you called groups such as Al-anon for suggestions or support? People that have walked in your shoes may have some ideas that none of us can come up with.

I was engaged at age 18 to a man that I met when he was fresh out of drug rehab. He was great for about a year then fell back into the drugs. I also denied it for a while but when it finally sunk home what he was really about, I walked away. I hope your daughter can come to the same conclusion.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this is very hard - you see the writing on the wall - she doesn't. And nothing you say will get thru at this point. I'm assuming, too, she is 18 or older.

I would just sit down and tell her: "We love you and care about you. You are grown up now and will make your own decisions - good or bad. The bad ones will have consequences. We will be here for you to offer emotional support, but don't expect financial support. We hope you will choose wisely in all you do and if its not the right choice, we hope you will learn from your mistakes."

Then you have to let her go. But you do not have to support her in any way financially, nor do you have to accept her choice of who she is with. You make it clear that he is welcome ONLY if he is not drinking and no drinking will be allowed in the house, nor will he be allowed to stay overnite if they are not married.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I know this is very hard - you see the writing on the wall - she doesn't. And nothing you say will get thru at this point. I'm assuming, too, she is 18 or older.

I would just sit down and tell her: "We love you and care about you. You are grown up now and will make your own decisions - good or bad. The bad ones will have consequences. We will be here for you to offer emotional support, but don't expect financial support. We hope you will choose wisely in all you do and if its not the right choice, we hope you will learn from your mistakes."

Then you have to let her go. But you do not have to support her in any way financially, nor do you have to accept her choice of who she is with. You make it clear that he is welcome ONLY if he is not drinking and no drinking will be allowed in the house, nor will he be allowed to stay overnite if they are not married.
I completely agree. And I would add that I would not pay for the wedding, but I would pay for couples counseling if they both agree to it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, you guys are tough----and I'm so grateful!
DD is 20, so obviously doesn't need our ok to marry. We have saved a small sum for the wedding because she is still our daughter. His folks are kicking in almost as much, for some reason. As one of my brothers said, "Sure, they're happy about the wedding. They're getting your daughter and getting rid of their problem."
DH & I both grew up with alcoholic Dads; we know what's going to happen, and we want so much better for her.

If she does marry him and things go as wrong as you suspect, you're going to have to play hardball if she comes running to you each time he gets drunk and normally what comes with it...the physical abuse. Some women stay with their husbands even with physical abuse, I still have no idea why. If she comes to you with a black eye or bloody nose and still has excuses why she stays with him, then you have to wipe your hands clean of the whole mess..
That's my feeling exactly. I love this child so much! It's killing me to see her making this decision. She says he treats her like a princess. Don't they all---when they're not drunk or high.
As I said, her Dad hasn't even met the guy yet---after 5 months of dating. After his "overdose" last week, she wanted me to promise not to tell her Dad because "he'd beat him up". Her Dad is the gentlest, laid-back soul in the world. I think DD is embarrassed by the bf, or afraid that her Dad will scare him off. (the bf is 5'7" and scrawny; DH is 6'3" and built like a bull)

I know that talking to her is a waste of time; she actually asked me to 'pretend to be happy'. I had to remind her that I don't lie to her---never have and won't start now. Should I actually try to act as if everything is peachy? I don't want to alienate her, obviously, but I don't know how to deal with this.

Have you called groups such as Al-anon for suggestions or support? People that have walked in your shoes may have some ideas that none of us can come up with.
Good idea; I might just do that.

you do not have to support her in any way financially, nor do you have to accept her choice of who she is with.
Exactly! I've told her "I will try to get it thru my thick head that this is the guy you want to spend the next 50 years of your life with. You need to get it thru your thick head that I don't have to approve and I don't have to like him." There will be NO financial support after the wedding.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My daughter got engaged to someone who treated her badly and was basically a waste of space, though thankfully not an addict of any sort. I could see what would happen but she could not. Like yours, she kept making excuses for his inability to keep a job, or save money, or be polite to me, as well as his possessive behaviour towards her. I was at my wits' end but kept telling her I loved her and I would be there for her, no matter what.

And you know what - he overstepped the mark one day with her, had an affair with someone else and they split up. She came running to me and stayed with me tor 2 months while she got her head together. Now, she cannot understand how she stayed under his spell for so long. He has tried over the last two years to get her back, but she has told him on every occasion to get lost. She now has a good job and a flat and a great social life.

Whatever you do, do not alienate your daughter. Reassure her constantly that you are there for her, and accept her confidences however painful it may be. There is always a good chance that she will see the light. You have at least a year in which that can happen. In my teens I stayed with an abusive bf because my father would not speak to me and forbade him the house, and I was too proud and scared to admit I was wrong and hurting. I swore it would never happen to a child of mine. Keep the communication channels open and I hope it all works out for the best.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

I can't stand the thought of her marrying him, and there isn't a thing I can do.
Unfortunately that is the answer right there. I know you are her Mom, and I know you want the best for her, but the reality is is that she is an adult and is old enough to make her own decisions, whether you like what she decides or not.

As hard as it is for you, it really is none of your business and you really need to stop trying to get in between her and him because all you are going to do is alienate your daughter, not something you really want to do, especially when you know deep down that she's going to come running back to you to help make it all right, at some point down the road.

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Alcoholism is a disease, and perhaps instead of writing off this man, you can help in whatever effort there is/will be to get him help. Do you have issues with him that are not related to his alcohol use? I didnt see anything like that...I had an alcoholic bf once, and it didnt work out for us - he wasnt ready to get help for what he didnt see as a problem yet. That said, aside from his alcohol use, he really was a very dependable guy - and he has since gone on and gotten sober, and is now married, with a very good job. He made his amends, and I wish him the best. Im glad he wasnt written off by everyone, as with the help he needed, everyone was able to see how good of a person was under his disease.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have issues with him that are not related to his alcohol use?
Yes. They may not seem huge to anyone else, but this is my daughter I'm talking about.

My DD wasn't the first (or the second) girl he's given a promise ring. His last gf told my DD to be careful of him, that he is clingy and controlling. A member of his family told my DH that the guy had stalked that gf---until he started dating our daughter. She has caught him in lies, but always makes an excuse for him. To his credit, he's had a full time job for 2 years, but doesn't have a penny in the bank. He's had several accidents in the past year or so that he's begged the other people not to report. His parents pay them off and he reimburses them (supposedly). He is the ultimate "Mommy's Boy", even DD admits that. His excuse for drinking to excess is this: his best friend was killed in a drunk driving accident (of course). A year later to the day, he was arrested at an underage drinking party. He told DD he was "celebrating his friend's death". Of course, he'd already been arrested on alcohol charges before that.

The alcohol and probable drug abuse are just the tip of the iceburg. He is immature and irresposible but, as his Mom wrote about him on facebook, "If I had 2 sons he'd still be my favorite."
Did I mention his family is a little odd and complete enablers?

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

Wow, you guys are tough----and I'm so grateful!
DD is 20, so obviously doesn't need our ok to marry. We have saved a small sum for the wedding because she is still our daughter. His folks are kicking in almost as much, for some reason. As one of my brothers said, "Sure, they're happy about the wedding. They're getting your daughter and getting rid of their problem."
DH & I both grew up with alcoholic Dads; we know what's going to happen, and we want so much better for her.

That's my feeling exactly. I love this child so much! It's killing me to see her making this decision. She says he treats her like a princess. Don't they all---when they're not drunk or high.
As I said, her Dad hasn't even met the guy yet---after 5 months of dating. After his "overdose" last week, she wanted me to promise not to tell her Dad because "he'd beat him up". Her Dad is the gentlest, laid-back soul in the world. I think DD is embarrassed by the bf, or afraid that her Dad will scare him off. (the bf is 5'7" and scrawny; DH is 6'3" and built like a bull)

I know that talking to her is a waste of time; she actually asked me to 'pretend to be happy'. I had to remind her that I don't lie to her---never have and won't start now. Should I actually try to act as if everything is peachy? I don't want to alienate her, obviously, but I don't know how to deal with this.

Good idea; I might just do that.

Exactly! I've told her "I will try to get it thru my thick head that this is the guy you want to spend the next 50 years of your life with. You need to get it thru your thick head that I don't have to approve and I don't have to like him." There will be NO financial support after the wedding.
I think you should see a counselor for yourself to get some guidance on how to be loving and supportive without enabling. It's a thin line.

Secondly, I don't think you should lie to her father about this guy and his problems. It isn't fair for your daughter to ask this of you. Just as you don't lie to her, you shouldn't lie for her.

Personally I don't believe that parents owe a daughter a wedding. It is a gift, and only to be given if you feel like it. You don't owe it to her.

ETA: Don't worry. She won't spend the next 50 years with him. From what you describe, he'll be dead in 10 yrs, assuming he doesn't stop drinking. And then if that doesn't happen, his drinking and the abuse that goes with it will drive her away in 5 yrs. or less.

JMHO, of course.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is what is distressing to me as well... why does your daughter think so little of herself, even subconsciously, to accept someone like this as her life partner?

This is rhetorical... I don't expect you to answer.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There was a time, years ago, when I used to listen to Dr. Laura.

Finally, I had to quit. It was just too frustrating listening every day to people (mainly women) who kept on making the same mistakes. And, I'd guess, the same mistakes women have made since they were able to choose mates.

You can't tell anyone anything. We advised my brother's fiancee not to marry him, but she wouldn't listen to us. Man, it's frustrating trying to help people when they don't want to be helped.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

There was a time, years ago, when I used to listen to Dr. Laura.

Finally, I had to quit. It was just too frustrating listening every day to people (mainly women) who kept on making the same mistakes. And, I'd guess, the same mistakes women have made since they were able to choose mates.

You can't tell anyone anything. We advised my brother's fiancee not to marry him, but she wouldn't listen to us. Man, it's frustrating trying to help people when they don't want to be helped.
You can't help people that don't want to be helped.

I think the suggestion of counseling is a great one - in fact, why not have a couple of family sessions as well? Tell your daughter it's for you, not for her.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

You can't help people that don't want to be helped.

I think the suggestion of counseling is a great one - in fact, why not have a couple of family sessions as well? Tell your daughter it's for you, not for her.
that is a great idea!!! Alanon might have some good suggestions, also. Or maybe a good hard talk from his public defender
I know how worried and miserable you must be - since she will probably often be the passenger in the car with a drunk driver

Sending mega prayers & vibes that your DD changes her mind

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he her first serious boyfriend?? Were any other men/boys she dated similar in character to him. If yes, perhaps your daughter has a self esteem problem.

Does he have a job, have they made plans on finances, where they are to live etc...

He seems to be on a self destructive path and I hope she doesn't join him.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry that you're going through this. I also think the counseling idea is a great one. And the most important thing is that you are able to stay in your daughter's life. I'd let her know that I didn't approve, but if it actually comes down to attending the wedding, I'd go.