Fighting Cats

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A short background - we have three cats (Meowzers, ~4 year old declawed siamese, Lloyd, ~2 year old feral bottle baby DSH, and Moww, ~9 former stray DSH) and three dogs (Sadie, ~7 year old miniature dachshund, Fynn, ~5 year old standard dachshund, and Bruce, ~1.5 year old king shepherd). Lloyd and Bruce are very close, they play together and will sleep together. Meowzers and Lloyd are off an on as to whether they like each other, but most of the time they will sleep together. Moww tolerates everyone unless they come too close to him but he will crawl up and cuddle with the dogs. Sadie doesn't chase the cats at all, but will bark at them when they growl and hiss at each other. Fynn and Lloyd play, but Fynn will chase Meowzers if Bruce starts. Meowzers hates Bruce, he chases her at times but listens when we say "Leave it". 

Everyone got along pretty well from the time Moww came home (Aprilish of this year), but after Moww's PU surgery the fighting has been almost daily. About 2 months ago now, we noticed Meowzers had been overgrooming her belly. We never actually saw her doing it up until about a month ago. She now has extremely short hair there. We put Feliway diffusers all over the house but it only made things worse - the fighting increased over the first week, so I unplugged the ones upstairs and left the downstairs ones plugged in. Unplugging the upstairs ones helped a bit, Meowzers spends most of the time up there (it's blocked off so the dogs can't go up there unless we're up there). When the downstairs ones ran out, we just didn't bother refilling them. No difference in the behaviour. 

We know why Meowzers is overgrooming herself, Bruce chasing her. They are pretty much never in the same room anymore and we stepped up Bruce's OB so when they are in the same room, he's laying on his bed. Currently, we've been locking Meowzers in the bedroom when we leave - we cannot crate Bruce or lock him in a room - he destroys them (he destroyed 2 heavy duty wire crates, escaping from them and almost seriously injuring himself, when we locked him in a room he ripped up all of the flooring and destroyed the door. He does not try to get into the bedroom when we're gone.

So we have eliminated the source of stress for Meowzers, but things haven't gotten any better for her - she continues to overgroom. When Bruce was actively chasing her (before we realized he was doing that), we noticed that all of the cats were fighting a lot more. So we decided to keep them all separated at night. One of them comes in the bedroom with us, one is kept in a large dog crate downstairs and the other has free roam of the house - it rotates which cat is where but Meowzers is never the one in the crate. The two small dogs are crated in our bedroom and Bruce is also kept in the bedroom (he stays on his bed). When Meowzers is in the bedroom at night, she sleeps under the covers between us. 

We are down to our last two options - medicating her or trying a medical food. I think we may try the food first, we've had success with it at the clinic and at this point I'm willing to try anything. I really don't want to have to medicate her, I think it would cause her a lot more stress. 

She has been to the vet, nothing is physically wrong with her, bloodwork is great, xrays normal, her belly is not infected from the overgrooming.

I'm here looking for any suggestions to try before resorting to medication. 

We have tried:

- reintroducing them over the period of a week

- feliway

- keeping the completely separated (only lasted two days because they kept escaping)

- adding more cat trees

- feeding them separately

- feeding them together (worked best, they all have their own bowls)

- keeping them separated from the dogs

- putting a cone on Meowzers to break the habit, she just went right back to it after

Right now we have/are:

- multiple cat trees on the main floor and a couple upstairs

- a baby gate blocking the stairs so the dogs can't go upstairs

- separating the cats at night

sillywabbit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This might sound silly, but do you think it would help if she had another female cat to keep her company? Poor girl, all loud boys and dogs, and no chance for girl talk. Just a thought. We had a female cat who stressed terribly but when a neighbor moved in with their female kitty they became close buddies. My mom said she felt safe with another female cat around.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the late reply - the holidays were insane!

We absolutely, without a doubt, cannot have any more cats. It's at the point right now where we may have to consider rehoming one or two of them, we have three (and three dogs).

When we got Meowzers, she wasn't friendly at all - we didn't even see her for the first couple of weeks. Then she started coming and sleeping on our bed at night. Through the day she would go on random attacking fits where she would literally chase me around our apartment trying to attack my arm or leg, this has pretty much stopped since we moved to a townhouse. At that point, she was an only cat. Then we found Lloyd, no one would take him so he ended up staying with us. She HATED him, and all other cats, but loved the two dogs we have. Within about 2 months she would tolerate Lloyd when he wasn't being insane and we would sometimes find them curled up together. Everything was all good until Moww's PU surgery, we just can't get them to get along anymore.

BUT....

Moww has been urinating on soft things that are left on the floor on the main floor of our house lately. He won't do it upstairs and won't do it if the soft things are off the ground - as an example, he'll pee on a blanket if it's on the floor but if it's on the couch he won't. Because of all his urinary issues, I brought him in and we tested his urine. Nothing. Nothing on the culture either. Last week he peed in our friend's violin case (only a few drops, we saw right away and got him out, then cleaned it well with Nok Out), then last night he peed in my SO's bass case. SO was MAD and understandably too. The case is far too large to put up anywhere so when my SO is practicing it has to sit on the ground - that's when Moww got to it. We had an argument about it, the end result was a compromise to keep him in the bathroom for at least a week to "retrain" him. I'm also going to be bringing him in as soon as I can to have his urine rechecked and if there is still no infection discuss our options. I feel bad for Moww, being stuck in the bathroom, although he doesn't seem to mind. It's a fairly big bathroom with a window he likes to sit in, a bed by the heater, food and water and his litterbox. I also feel bad for my SO - he used to like cats and has now said that he doesn't and when the ones we currently have eventually pass he doesn't want to get another ever.

HOWEVER...

Since we started with Moww in the bathroom yesterday evening, there hasn't been any fighting and I haven't seen Meowzers overgroom herself at all. Both Lloyd and Meowzers seem to be more comfortable, and Moww seems to be fine in the bathroom and hasn't tried to escape. I know it's too soon to tell if this is our solution, but thought that I would see what you guys thought about keeping Moww in the bathroom long term. He was kept in there for a couple of weeks when we first got him and then for about three weeks after his PU surgery. I figured we could put a cat tree in there for him, even though he doesn't seem to care for them. Do you think he would do fine in there as long as he was getting a good amount of attention? The room is fairly warm, about 5x12 so it's narrow but long. I thought about putting a radio in there so it wouldn't be quiet all the time and moving our goldfish bowl up there for entertainment (it has a lid). I was also thinking (even before Moww was put there) of getting a bench like this one (http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/10201687/ ) and putting a cushion on the top so it would be more comfortable for us to spend time with him there. If I got a different style, I could have the litter hidden in the bench and it would expand the storage for the room. It would also be another place where he could look out window, which he loves to do in the summer.

So, in short, we seem to have found a solution to the fighting issue but have a new behavioural issue. It never stops does it?