Fight for Dominance

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,
it's been a while since i posted because I am dealing with going back to school and my new furbaby Jasper.

Jasper is an orange tabby and is about 10 months at the moment. The issue we are having is his need to dominate, not another cat, but our 4 year old Lab/Malimute mix Kyra.

As you can imagine Kyra is about 15 times the size of Jasper. Thankfully she is quite tollerant of Jasper's presence. However Jasper keeps pressing Kyra's Buttons.

For example, Jasper tricks Kyra off her dog bed and then Jasper settles in for the long haul. Jasper also will run up to Kyra and grab her by the head and somtimes licks her, somtimes bites her.

It has gotten so bad that we cannott allow Jasper to remain "free" at night because he won't let Kyra sleep. So Jasper is relegated to the bathroom overnight. He used to sleep in my room but he kept me up half the night and I ended up injured by claws and a marble bedside lamp to the head.

I am trying to figure out what to do, Jasper shouldn't be punnished for just being a kitten, and Kyra shouldn't be punnished because Jasper wants to play.

We do not have a house that is condusive to shutting off a part of the house to seperate them so they have equal room to roam. Jasper does seem to be fine about his confinment but I feel guilty.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like kitten play to me. Have you tried hissing at Jasper when he gets too "dominant"?