FHS/Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All day yesterday she was demanding food..not eating it..and still sitting in front of her placemat demanding more.
It started early this morning..the continual loud meowing that got to a demanding YOWL!.
I fed her and she paced the house until dawn.
After her breakfast around 7:30 she started racing around the house. I never saw her have the Zoomies before and just thought it was that.
Then she started to jump high and even ran around uncontrolled , banging into a wall or furniture. The racing round and round through the house lasted so long I thought she had gotten into something and looked all over, but nothing was disturbed.
Then she started to jump and try to grab at things up in the air! (Now I am really getting scared)
A few weeks ago I noticed she started to notice she had a tail,and would try to catch it as she lay in a donut position on the bed!
I also noticed that I changed laundry detergent to Tide and she started to sleep in the recliner rather than on her favorite blanket.
This made me think she was allergic to Tide and this was a result!
She is now sleeping after contentedly watching birds on Cat TV.
I am jumping the gun,I know, but researching on the internet points to FHS.
Anyone have this FHS in their cat and what helps other than Gabapentin(which is horrible)?
Does Feliway plug in help?
Am I being overly concerned?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The only thing that doesn't fit the things I have read about FHS is the issue with the food. However, I have also read so many variations in what folks have experienced with their cats, that maybe some have had problems associated with food. It does seem that gabapentin is the 'go to' for the most part, but I do know that some are venturing into CBD oil if permitted in their area and approved by their vet.

Here is a TCS article on FHS, just in case it might help any. It probably would help to start a log/diary of events that occur before an incident with her begins to see if there could be an identifiable form of trigger. It is also wise to have a full-scale vet checkup done too.
Feline Hyperesthesia – TheCatSite Articles

And here is a link to threads from other members regarding FHS in case you haven't already done a search for them.
Search Results for Query: FHS | TheCatSite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will read read read today. Thannks. Also I will video her episodes for the vet if needed
Thanks tons, freebysowner

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today I washed her blankets with plaiin water toget any potential allergens out andused the Feliway Spray. I wanted to get the diffuser, but there were too many reviews about the plug catching fire(not sure they were all legit)
I had used this in a crate when going to the vet once and she still yowled. I think she was in pain.
But today the crazy unusual behavior was absent and she was calm, ate normally , enjoyed the sun on the sunporch in the Ikea, and was here usual calm happy self making buisquits ,wanting pets and purring! The stuff works. So...success for today. ODAT