Fever Of Unknown Origin / Fip?

blob99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 1 year old cat was not at all acting herself yesterday--lethargic, not wanting to eat, etc. I took her to the vet today and she had a fever of 104, but she has no other symptoms and the blood work came back normal. The vet gave her sub-q fluids, a fever/pain reducer (plus pills for the next couple days), and her on a broad spectrum antibiotic (clavemox). The pain/fever reducer seems to have her feeling a bit better this evening, but obviously it's too early to know if the antibiotic is making a difference.

Of course, I made the foolish mistake of googling, and have just now learned of FIP. And so naturally I'm totally distraught. The vet today said her bladder felt full, but then was unable to take a urine sample when he tried. So, now I'm worried that what he felt was actually fluid from FIP. And of course now we're going into the weekend.

Has anyone had first hand experience with FIP? Are there other symptoms I should keep an eye out for?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi blob99.

Back in February you spoke about a cat who (initially) tested positive for FIV.....would that be this kitty?

In case you might need it in future, there's a specialized online community for folks managing their FIV kitties' health. That group also has a website here: fivtherapy.com You can access the "Support Group" from the menu on the top there.

Just one question...is the "pain/fever reducer" Onsior?

Keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blob99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
white shadow white shadow , yes, it's the same cat. I had her retested at 9 months since I was told kittens often have false positives. Her updated test came back negative, thankfully.

It is Onisor. I've never used this on a cat before, and know little about it... She's had one dose and is supposed to get a second tomorrow