Fervour For Ferals.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After reading a recent thread in another TCS forum, it struck me that a great many of our members have successfully brought formerly feral cats into their homes and into their Lives, yet I can find no trace of a thread in the Photos Forums for former ferals and their success stories.

Let's see those former ferals - those beautiful kitties who everyone told us would never end up as housecats - who were too wild and too set in their ways ever to find peace in the safety of someone's home.

whitetipcloseup.jpg

I'll start with White Tip, to whom I sometimes refer as, "the wildest of them all." In a Lifetime of working with and living with feral cats, she was by far the toughest nut of all. Trapped with her Son, Oz, it took my veterinarian, myself and a vet tech just to capture her inside the confines of a very small building so she could be spayed and vetted, and blood was shed before she was safe in a transport carrier.

My vet is an old Friend, and he's not the sort of fellow who ever gives up on an animal, but when he brought Oz and White Tip back after their surgery, he told me in no uncertain terms that she would never trust Humans and would never be an housecat. "Let her go in the yard when she's healed," was his advice.

A few months later, there was a terrible windstorm on Hallowe'en night, and worried about the old Spruce tree against their little building, I managed to get her into one of her many hidey-boxes and slip another box over it. I sealed it with tape while she hissed and hollered, and finally picked Oz up under one arm, and managed to move them both into the house, and into the upstairs office.

What followed was two years of hissing, scratching and biting, which eventually wore down to nothing. I'd pick her up, she'd attack, and I'd hold her as long as I could. Finally one day as I sat on the floor with her, after her breakfast, something magical clicked inside her head. She came to me for the first time, and when I reached down, she never made a sound. I must have held her for an hour that morning, and over the next two weeks, I introduced her to the other cats, whom she'd only met through the door.

It's funny - my veterinarian always asked about her, assuming that I'd released her and was feeding her on the property as a feral. "Seen that white tipped cat lately?" It always made me smile. Then one night he dropped over for wings and pizza, and while we sat, he asked about her as he often did. She was still shy, but knew her name by then, and I took a chance and called her. Presently, there she was on the last stair, looking at us warily. "Come here," I said - "there's chicken," and a moment later, there she was beside me, taking a scrap of chicken from between my fingers.

This is only one of the countless success stories I've read by TCS members - of how some wild, untamed kitty had come inside, and had at last became a member of a Family. If ever anyone tells you to give up on a cat, tell them that you can't give up, because you know the magic words. The words aren't really magic, but they make magic happen everywhere they're said, by everyone who knows them: "Love conquers all."

Omniavincitamor.jpg

It does, you know. Now let's see those former feral cats in all their glory!

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Buttercup was a feral kitten born outside during the coldest months of winter, and somehow her mother kept her alive. She had black frostbite on the edges of her ears and was terrified of people. The problem was she was SO cute, the humane society was trying to find her a home that didn’t just grab her because she was cute, and then return her because of her behavior. When I saw her she looked right into my eyes and cried, and in the quiet room at the shelter curled up on me and purred away. They couldn’t believe it, and I had been looking for “just the right one” for over a year and a half, I knew my son and I had the patience to work with her fear. She wasn’t overly aggressive though, which I couldn’t believe- so she came home. She was so terrified at first I though she was really sick, as she would go to the bathroom in her bed and not even get up- she just sat in it! She then would pee on me when I held her and not get up either, I was devastated- but finally realized she was so scared she would only pee if I was there to make her feel safe, and would only eat them too. We decided even the small bathroom was too big, and moved her into the bathroom cupboard (we called her Harry Potter when we would walk in!). She had a little bed in front of a paraffin (unplugged) bath that took up more space so felt secure, and would come out and eat and use the bathroom when Luke or I would go in with her. She didn’t know how to even play with toys at first, just zero interest- she had no idea how. Soon we started closing her cabinet and she had the run of the bath, then the hallway and so on. We did a LOT of blocking the unders as she would just run and hide and not improve unless we pushed her a little. She is now so wonderful with us, you wouldn’t believe it. Her frostbite scars are long gone, but she still doesn’t like anyone other than us really, and that’s okay. She’s quite the wonderful member of our family and loves to hop in bed and cuddle, and causes plenty of hijinks about the house too. It takes lots of reading and asking advice and patience, and of course- love. :hearthrob:

FlawlessImperfection

Alpha Cat
Purraise
After reading a recent thread in another TCS forum, it struck me that a great many of our members have successfully brought formerly feral cats into their homes and into their Lives, yet I can find no trace of a thread in the Photos Forums for former ferals and their success stories.

Let's see those former ferals - those beautiful kitties who everyone told us would never end up as housecats - who were too wild and too set in their ways ever to find peace in the safety of someone's home.

View attachment 235649

I'll start with White Tip, to whom I sometimes refer as, "the wildest of them all." In a Lifetime of working with and living with feral cats, she was by far the toughest nut of all. Trapped with her Son, Oz, it took my veterinarian, myself and a vet tech just to capture her inside the confines of a very small building so she could be spayed and vetted, and blood was shed before she was safe in a transport carrier.

My vet is an old Friend, and he's not the sort of fellow who ever gives up on an animal, but when he brought Oz and White Tip back after their surgery, he told me in no uncertain terms that she would never trust Humans and would never be an housecat. "Let her go in the yard when she's healed," was his advice.

A few months later, there was a terrible windstorm on Hallowe'en night, and worried about the old Spruce tree against their little building, I managed to get her into one of her many hidey-boxes and slip another box over it. I sealed it with tape while she hissed and hollered, and finally picked Oz up under one arm, and managed to move them both into the house, and into the upstairs office.

What followed was two years of hissing, scratching and biting, which eventually wore down to nothing. I'd pick her up, she'd attack, and I'd hold her as long as I could. Finally one day as I sat on the floor with her, after her breakfast, something magical clicked inside her head. She came to me for the first time, and when I reached down, she never made a sound. I must have held her for an hour that morning, and over the next two weeks, I introduced her to the other cats, whom she'd only met through the door.

It's funny - my veterinarian always asked about her, assuming that I'd released her and was feeding her on the property as a feral. "Seen that white tipped cat lately?" It always made me smile. Then one night he dropped over for wings and pizza, and while we sat, he asked about her as he often did. She was still shy, but knew her name by then, and I took a chance and called her. Presently, there she was on the last stair, looking at us warily. "Come here," I said - "there's chicken," and a moment later, there she was beside me, taking a scrap of chicken from between my fingers.

This is only one of the countless success stories I've read by TCS members - of how some wild, untamed kitty had come inside, and had at last became a member of a Family. If ever anyone tells you to give up on a cat, tell them that you can't give up, because you know the magic words. The words aren't really magic, but they make magic happen everywhere they're said, by everyone who knows them: "Love conquers all."

It does, you know. Now let's see those former feral cats in all their glory!
So true! Wonderful to know she found someone who remembers it.

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The stray kitty i adopted had a similar "click" moment-she wasnt feral, and i could pick her up to get her from poit a to point b, but i coupdnt hold her and cuddle her-shed always struggle to get down. Id hold her just one or two minutes, pat her, then put her down, bc i didnt want her to think "being held=being trapped and she was ont let me down". So every other day: pick her up, pet her 60 seconds, swt her down. Then finally one day i picked her up, started petting her... and her little body relaxed in my arms :) i pet her and she just sat there abd lapped it up. Now 9 times out of 10 when i pick her up, she'll settle down for a few mins of cuddles :)

I just couldnt give up on her i guess... i waa like, yoiui re gonna love me, dammit! :lol:

FlawlessImperfection

Alpha Cat
Purraise
The stray kitty i adopted had a similar "click" moment-she wasnt feral, and i could pick her up to get her from poit a to point b, but i coupdnt hold her and cuddle her-shed always struggle to get down. Id hold her just one or two minutes, pat her, then put her down, bc i didnt want her to think "being held=being trapped and she was ont let me down". So every other day: pick her up, pet her 60 seconds, swt her down. Then finally one day i picked her up, started petting her... and her little body relaxed in my arms :) i pet her and she just sat there abd lapped it up. Now 9 times out of 10 when i pick her up, she'll settle down for a few mins of cuddles :)

I just couldnt give up on her i guess... i waa like, yoiui re gonna love me, dammit! :lol:
How hard it is to let them go when you want to cuddle them! You just added another point I forgot- how important it is to have a sense of HUMOR!! :)

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMG_1354.JPG

Charlie was born feral. My mother's coworker found him all alone at two months. I'll never know how he came to be separated from the rest of the litter, but it created additional issues on top of his being feral.

Mom's coworker wasn't able to keep him, so she asked Mom if she knew anyone who wanted a kitten. Mom immediately got in touch with me, and I immediately said yes.

Charlie has frustrated me, angered me, even injured me. He's also delighted me, entertained me, even comforted me. Despite their squabbling, he welcomed Selene almost immediately and has been a great big brother.

In the end, I've been the one to learn from him.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
This is not my story, but Randall and Gohan's story.

My boyfriend Randall had two cats, Trin and Neo. Neo passed away and he thought "you know, I'm one guy, I should just have one cat. I don't want to be a crazy cat guy."

His friend calls him up, and tells him this tiny feral kitten wandered into their backyard, and would he like to take him? Randall says no, I have one cat and that's enough.

A few days later they call back and tell him "you know, I think he wants to be a wild kitty. I think we will just let him go." Outside in Florida. Where there are alligators. So Randall says, "I'll be right over." But he's not planning on adopting this kitten. Remember, he's a one-cat guy.

On the way over to her house, he picks up a carrier and kitten food.

And that's how he adopted Gohan, the hissy, spitty "rainbow kitty" (because he was dirty, bloody, and 'every color of the rainbow' according to the friend's kid). Gohan was 5 weeks old, missing a fang (we like to think he won a fight with some larger beast). Until the fang grew back, everytime he drank water it dribbled out his little scar. He became settled in Randall's bathroom but was angry and hissy. So Randall was patient. Brought in food, read aloud to the kitty, and was a calming presence. Eventually after he ate some food, Randall picked him up and placed him next to his heartbeat. And Gohan purred (and hissed, and purred. He's a contradiction). Slowly Gohan was introduced to his brother Trin, who suffered the kitten-play of one weaned too soon. Many ears were chomped in those years, but eventually they became friends.

Slowly Gohan acclimated to humans. First Randall, but he hid from all guests. Slowly he would come out earlier and earlier with people, until now it's only 20 min before he comes to investigate the newcomers.

I still remember my true introduction to him. Randall went out, and I stayed the night. I went to bed early, and all of a sudden Gohan placed his two forepaws on the bed, and slowly looked me up and down. "Mapping" this new territory. He looked so confused. Now he trusts me (almost) as much as Randall.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a story of my own for this thread. My younger daughter Clora has four cats all of them ex ferals but she would have to tell their story herself. I'm just making sure that by posting this in this thread I'll get it in my mail page so that I can follow it.

My 4 years old Sombra was originally a feral cat but I have adopted her from a shelter just over a month ago so I cannot really claim her case as a feral adoption. I had been warned that it would take some time, probably many weeks, before she would accept me but she slept on my bed the very first night after her arrival and has since become a cuddly affectionate kitten.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is Barry's first picture - he's about 10 weeks old and already has a clipped ear from TNR. This is the best the rescue could put up for him. He was not a happy kitty.

Three months after we first saw Barry, he was still in the rescue shelter at Petsmart. Still not so good with people - he was VERY withdrawn. I still was smitten with him, so my wife picked him up for me. This is is first night in our house. It got worse the next few days - he hid in a desk drawer for a day and a half.

I spent a lot of time sitting on the floor of that bathroom gaining his trust. Talking to myself and throwing him treats to get him to associate me with food. He is still pretty far away from me, but he is out. After about 3 weeks, he would take a treat from my hand after luring him closer with other treats.

Then is was just time getting him used me me, my wife, and his BFF, Duncan. One day, he just let his guard down - we were playing and I stopped to get ready for work and he brings his toy to me to keep playing. He is still very cautious, but not all the time.

After about 18 months, he is out and about all the time (except when guests come over), follows us both around the house, and purrs like make. Really really deep purr --> Barry White.

I get so mad sometimes - this great cat sat in the rescue booth for 6 months. We were told he would never purr and would be very aloof and standoffish. Nothing could be further from the truth for this love bug. Its not perfect - he still freaks out if I approach him too fast and he is often more comfortable being 8 feet away - but whenever I turnaround, I can be relatively sure he will be in the room.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I spent a lot of time sitting on the floor of that bathroom gaining his trust.
I remember that photo of him trying his level best to hide by the fantastic bottle!! (My goodness, that was quite a few posts ago for me :compsurfing: )
Wow, what a terrific update, thank you 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine and duncanmac, and everybody here - you all ROCK!!!
LOL, go Barry white purrs - he'd be proud :thumbsup:

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I remember that photo of him trying his level best to hide by the fantastic bottle!! (My goodness, that was quite a few posts ago for me :compsurfing: )
Wow, what a terrific update, thank you 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine and duncanmac, and everybody here - you all ROCK!!!
LOL, go Barry white purrs - he'd be proud :thumbsup:
He's actually in the radiator. Which is better than when he would hide under the deep-freeze