Ferrel momma, one tame baby

Jim B.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We've been friending a totally wild cat all Summer and she's gained some trust with us. About a week ago our neighbor brought us a kitten that we're all sure is from wild kitty. She said the cat gave birth under their wheelbarrow and 3 of the 4 kittens hadn't been seen in days and this baby (5 to 6 weeks old) was the last survivor assuming the other 3 somehow perished. We took it in and have absolutely fallen in love with this incredibly smart and easy to care for kitten. She went to the litter box the very first time with no help from us and has been using it since. Playful and full of energy. Very healthy and adorable.
This morning I went out to feed our "not so wild ferrel cat" and there she was with 2 more of her babys. What a surprised. Those 2 kittens saw our indoor kitty through the window and went a little crazy climbing up the screen and running all over. Momma kitty watched and I just came back in the house wondering what to do.
Now I'm writing to all of you for any help or advice.
Thank you in advance.
Jim B.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you aren't willing to take Momma and babies, at least get Momma fixed so she won't have any more. Same for the babies. As long as they are 2 lbs, they can get fixed.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely get them all fixed or those 3 cats will turn into lots and lots of cats before your very eyes. The kittens might be able to be socialized and then adopted. Since you have been working with the mom, she too might work out well once she is spayed.

Colder weather is coming and these poor little ones will be outside. It's so hard for cats to survive cold winters without human help. I would try to do something to help them sooner than later.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jim B.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your interest and suggestions. We got a little surprised by all of this and although we are willing and able to care for one cat, 4 is way over the top and future multiples even less possible.
The combined situation with our neighbor involved with this was also a big surprise so we already spoke to them and agreed to spay the mother kitty but no mention of the 2 babys she has with her. I would have that done myself and agree completely that it's the best thing. Those 2 babys appear healthy and strong and are bigger then the one we took in. If it's absolutely necessary, I would bring all the kittens in and domesticate them indoors.
Jim B.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please bring them in They are little and still need to be with mom That doesn’t mean you have to keep them all Just foster them until they are big enough to go to forever homes Mom trusted you enough to bring you her other babies If you have a local rescue they may be willing to Sponsor you so food and vet care would be supplied for you Many members have experience with this and I’m sure will be posting with advice soon First things first bring them in You can isolate them to one room if needed I hope this is possible for you Thank you for helping them!!!! Please keep us updated

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have been there. You think that there is one kitten until the rest of the litter appears. Cats like this are usually very happy to have even a small room that they are safe and secure in. I have used a large bathroom for entire litters in the past; certainly bigger and more comfortable than if they went to a shelter and were put in a cage. As was already said, you certainly don't have to keep them but once they are safe you will have time to regroup and figure out what to do, along with being sure that there are no more kittens being born.