Ferral Sick Cat

SenshiAna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi There,

In the last 3 or so years me and my parents have been feeding 2 feral cats.
One of them died a couple of months ago, leaving the other one alone.
The thing is at the moment it's winter. The ferral that is left is always with the flue: muc on his nose, eyes very dirty and a swollen toung that's often outside his mouth.
He might have parasites and he's always very dirty, so we don't let him in (we have an indoors cat that's treated).
But I feel for the poor guy... my parents are against taking him to the vet to get him treated. I treat the indoor cat, so it's a little expensive to me to treat this feral too without support from my parents... But I want to do something for him.
A while ago he was scratching the front door to get in ...

What can I do to help him?

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor cat. Are there any rescue groups in your area that might trap him and take care of him? From the fact that he is scratching at the door to get in makes me suspect that he is not a feral but a former pet that got lost, tossed, or abandoned. Please do something.

Do you have a garage you can let him in? Can you put out some food and water for him? I know the water will freeze. but he might get to it before that happens. Can you let him in and isolate him in a room or large closet?

BettyBoop11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi There,

In the last 3 or so years me and my parents have been feeding 2 feral cats.
One of them died a couple of months ago, leaving the other one alone.
The thing is at the moment it's winter. The ferral that is left is always with the flue: muc on his nose, eyes very dirty and a swollen toung that's often outside his mouth.
He might have parasites and he's always very dirty, so we don't let him in (we have an indoors cat that's treated).
But I feel for the poor guy... my parents are against taking him to the vet to get him treated. I treat the indoor cat, so it's a little expensive to me to treat this feral too without support from my parents... But I want to do something for him.
A while ago he was scratching the front door to get in ...

What can I do to help him?
I couldn't in good conscious leave him outside in winter. I would let him in, bathe him, dry him, and give him a warm bed to sleep in. There is a product that is inexpensive, Food grade diatomaceous Earth. For cats you mix 1/2 teaspoon in their food and it kills fleas, parasites, and viruses. It cost about 5.00 at Home Depot. Harris makes the kind I bought. Bless its little heart. All alone and cold. poor baby. Good luck and remember, letting him in to a warm spot is kind and you will be rewarded taking care of this sweet creature.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor little cat. Does he have a shelter outside, protected from wind, snow and rain?

I agree that you should seek help from a feral rescue group, or Humane Society, or City/County shelter, or call a few veterinarians and ask them if they can help a feral in need of treatment. Occasionally you can find a vet who is willing to come out and help a cat on site, instead of having to take the cat into their office.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SenshiAna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is fed. We give him fresh food and water every day.
We made him a shelter outside, for him to be out from the cold and rain.
What worries me his the infection he seems to have contracted and his wanting to come in the house... When my kitty Titus goes for his daily stroll, with collar and leash, this feral walls with him, by his side. So when it's cold outside he insists on sleeping by the door, instead of his shelter, and spends most of the night scratching. Sometimes he does come in: he goes straight into my bed.
I would like to make him an indoor cat. It would be good for Titus, having a friend inside, because he likes being out and can't. So of this feral would come in it would be great for both of them.... but at the same time I feel alone in this and without much money.

Here's what I can do: I'll go to the vet hospital and talk about this. I can bright medicine to get rid of parasites and fleas. That may help the little guy.
I'll also hear their options, and make somewhat of a plan.

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The website: www.healthypets.mercola.com has excellent articles on both cat nutrition & health problems. This is the first site I check out when in need of information.

Dr. Karen Becker DVM -"a proactive & integrative wellness veterinarian"- is the author.
(She's trained at both conventional & Holistic veterinarian care.)

I give Virgin or Pure Coconut oil to my cats, mixed in their food.
(Some people put it on the side, & let them lick off what they want, when they want it.

It is used by myself, and many other cat owners for:
- its quick & easy digestion (it bypasses liver & pancreas);
- the fact that it burns easier than carbohydrates for energy;
- its antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal, antiprotazoal -&- anti-inflammatory properties;

Two of my community cats became lethargic, only eating, drinking, but mainly sleeping.
I started putting Coconut oil in their meals, and they both started watching the others play the next day, and joined them in playing like nothing had ever been wrong, the next day.

One of the cats developed a serious skin infection over 1" diameter. After dabbing some CO on the dried festered scab, it was gone the next day, leaving the wound open & clean. It remained uninfected as long as he got CO with each meal, but wasn't healing so I could notice. SO, I added GrapeFruit Seed Extract to his food. (Later learned it's bitter & I should have hidden it in treats.) But, he ate it in each meal until his infection was healed! (Since then, he won't eat a bite if GFSE is in the food!) For your convenience, if interested:

Dr. Jean Dodds' Pet Health Resource Blog
- "Coconut Oil: The “Good” Saturated Fat"
www.drjeandoddspethealthresource.tumblr.com/post/47127324583/coconut-for-pets
"Pets & Grapefruit Seed Extract"
www.nutriteam.com/pets
{{{Hugs for Helping!}}}

Last edited:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the shelter you made for him small enough to move to your door where he is hanging out? Even better if your parents would allow letting him stay in the garage (if you have one) on cold nights, or set up a large dog kennel in a spare room. Since he is sick, you probably want to keep him and your cat separated until you can get him some medicine. Are you able to handle him at all?

Going to the vet hospital to ask about how to care for him is a good idea. Can you get some pictures of him and take those with you? Hopefully they'll be kind enough to offer some medications for him without you needing to take him in.