?feral?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So this kitten I have Nicknamed baby, and I think is female. She appears to be 4-5 months old. She is buds with our indoor/outdoor semi-feral. She is eating dry food by the front door (and the semi-feral is to.) She needs me in the house, out of sight to eat the food. She darts under cars for safety. She sniffed my finger but will not let me touch her in anyway. I'm going to keep feeding her every night for a month to hopefully get her used to me. She will eat treats if I toss them 3-4 feet from me.

My questions are is she a pet? Should I be looking into my local TNR group to borrow a catch them alive trap? Then arrange to have her spayed through the program? Should I put up flyers of her first?

I plan to feed her for a month just go get her used to it. I still haven't caught or seen the cat I called "the mama cat" a true feral that hunted birds in our backyard. Mama disappeared about 2 months ago but I am keeping an eye out for her. The thought of that young cat outside without a home, worries me. Heck I worry about the semi-feral SO much that I make sure he is inside before I go to bed. (I know, I want him inside but his owner is not willing to deal with his all night meowing to train him.)

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She is still young enough that if you bring her inside you could work on socializing her. First step is to get her into a carrier or a humane trap. I would not wait a month. If she is 4-5 months old she could become pregnant soon. Get her spayed, vaccinated and tested. Then set up a room for her where you can work on socializing her.
Here are some tips:

How to Socialize Very Shy or Fearful Cats

1. The first tip is to have a room that is dedicated to the cat. If possible this should be a room where the cat will be confined for a period of time. You can use a spare bedroom or even a small bathroom. If using a bedroom or other room of your home, be sure that the room is cat proofed. Remove mattress and box springs or place them directly on the floor. Hiding under a bed is the first place the cat will run and it is almost impossible to get them out. Also block behind dressers or book cases. Cats can fit into very small spaces. You do want to have an appropriate hiding spot for the cat. This can be an old box turned on its side or a hiding box found on a cat tree. Also make sure all windows are tightly closed and blinds are up with the cords hidden. Do not be surprised if the cat throws himself against the window in an attempt to escape.

2. If you do not have an empty room available or the cat is very wild, you can use a large dog crate or fasten two smaller crates together. Just be sure there is enough room for a small litter pan and food. If you need to use a crate, I would suggest keeping the crate covered with a sheet or towel when the cat is alone. This will help to calm the cat. Eventually you will need a cat proofed space where you can move the cat.

3. You will want to start with 2 litter boxes. Many feral cats are not used to urinating and defecating in the same location. When choosing a litter, you can use fresh clean potting soil mixed with non clumping litter or you can try Dr. Elsey’s Litter Attract. I have found the Litter Attract to work very well. If the cat has an accident on the floor, sop up the urine with a paper towel and bury it into the litter box. Do the same with any stool. Make sure you clean the area very well with a good enzymatic cleaner to remove all traces of odor. Place the litter boxes away from the food and water.

4. Feliway plugins are a great way to help a nervous cat adjust. Most cats find the product soothing. You can find Feliway at most pet stores as well as on Amazon.

5. Another product I found helpful was Composure treats or Composure Liquid Max. The first few nights inside are very stressful. The cat will often yowl and cry all night. The Composure is very useful in calming the cat at night. I first tried the treats, but after a week or so, the cat no longer liked the treat. I then switched to the liquid as it was very easy to mix into wet food. Composure is available at the best price on Amazon.

6. No direct eye contact. Feral cats find this very threatening. Keep your gaze over the top of their head or look down.

7. Talk softly. You want them to get used to your voice. Carry on a conversation or even read aloud from a book or magazine.

8. Sit on the ground so you are not looming over the cat. You also want to keep your movements slow.

9. Food rewards are the way to a ferals heart. Find a special yummy treat such as plain cooked chicken or turkey, salmon, tuna or sardines. I would start by giving them a very small plate with some of the special treat. I would then have small pieces beside me and begin to toss the treat towards the cat. Each toss I would get the treat a little closer to me. I would do this activity each day. After a few weeks, the cats are often getting quite close as long as you keep your movements slow and gaze down.

A very special food reward I stumbled across is Gerber Stage 2 baby food. Cats love the chicken or turkey. The jar is very small with a blue label. The ingredients are chicken or turkey and water, no added spices. I started with a bit on a plate and as time went by, I offered it on a spoon. When working with young ferals or kittens, they can often be coaxed to lick this off your fingers. Just remember this is a treat reward and not a meal replacement.

10. Remember that when working with ferals it is often 1 step forward and 2 steps back. Just take it slow and steady. Also celebrate the small advancements.

11. Jackson Galaxy of Animal Planets, “My Cat From Hell” series is the cat guru. He has a line of flower essences that are specially designed for cat behaviors. He even has one for feral cats. I have used this essence with great success on all of my feral cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK let me restate the situation. I rent a room from my mom and have 2 cats. I can not have a third. Especially since I'm now on the affordable housing short list (where I will have to leave one of my boys behind.) So I can not have a third cat. I can not give the third cat a room. I'm on S.S.I. and can barely afford to care for my 2 boys. I feed the semi-feral because he eats out of my boys bowls. I bought enough food to get those three cats through the month plus a little extra. I'm thinking of buying a bag of cheap food just to make sure that little feral kitten doesn't starve (which will be taking food money out of my last grocery funds for the rest of the month.) I buy their food the first of every month.

I will research and call for all the help I can get in my area. (Ventura county, California.) I'm hoping the Ojia animal shelter can loan me a catch them alive trap. After reading shadows rescue' s post I will try to arrange to catch her and for them to take her in.

It is one of those, I can't afford another cat but I can't watch this kitten starve situation that is a tough situation to problem solve. Thank you for your help.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will FB a non-specific question as there are several people from my hometown who have relocated to that area, asking about possible pet pantries, etc. My adult disabled daughter is on SSI & a program paid for half of her cat's vet bill; her vet is a former classmate who knew about both our situation and the unadvertised program.
Right now, I am on widows SSA and I understand the hardships that this is causing for you....your unselfishness is amazing!! You are a true friend of cats & I would love for more people to follow your example. You are a shining star, a light of hope :happycat::angel3::heartshape::grouphug2::cheerleader::rock:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got her!!!!!! :hyper: I stopped leaving dry food out for her all day and tonight she was really hungry and let me pick her up. I had to scruff her to carry her in the house. She is hiding in a box in the tub atm. She will stay in the bathroom for tonight and be locked in my mom's bedroom from then on. I know right now she is scared and miserable but this is her best chance. Tomorrow I will be calling everywhere to try to arrange for a cheap spay (I think she is female or a neutered male.) My mom thinks she might be pregant already. Though I don't want her to get pregant part of me thinks her having a litter would be a win. My mom could keep a well socialized kitten since she is looking for one, we could find mom and the kittens a home. Will I breed her? He'll no! If the day of her spay they say she is already pregant I would reschedule the spay until after the kittens are weaned. Worst case scenario I will pay out of pocket for a spay at our vet's office next month.

Thanks for telling me time was of the essence to prevent her from getting knocked up. It was what drove me to catch her ASAP! I will post a pic of her tomorrow before I release her to hide under my mom's bed.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yea!!! Such good news.

Be careful of putting her in a room with a bed. She will only go under the bed and it will be nearly impossible to get her out. Is there a way to put the bed flat on the floor or put her elsewhere until the vet visit?

Also watch for other large furniture. She could crawl under it and also make it hard to retrieve her.

A large dog cage might be a good option for now as it will make it easier to get her on vet day.

Yet, if you can scruff her to get her into your house, she is most likely a stray with some feral tendencies.

Keep us posted.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here she is. I think you are right about being a stray. She has spent the night hiding behind the sink and a trash can ... just recently she felt brave enough to hide between the toilet and the tub. I gave her the box to try to help her but she didn't like it. Since the bedroom is the only cat free room, it is her best choice. Otherwise I'm jerry rigging a sheet and a wire bunny yard enclosure (or metal puppy play pen) and putting her in my room which is the cat room. Plus my mom has been looking for a grey kitten. If this one is cuddly enough she might luck out and find a forever indoor home. :crossfingers: If not she will get loved on by mom until we find her home (her bottle baby died and it was over a year until she was ready for a new kitten.) My boys hang out upstairs with me most of time. So even if it is a foster situation she will feel safer in my mom's room and get lots of love from my mom.

IMG_6913.JPG IMG_6914.JPG IMG_6915.JPG

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night I locked my cat up and let the little stray cat out. He was affectionate, walked around like he was familiar with houses and once he had checked to make sure the other cats were not there; he played. It was nice to see one of the jingle balls being used. It was readily apparent he was a lost cat, not a feral cat. We took him to animal shelter near us because that is the first place a person would look if they lost their cat or dog.

:) Turned out he was chipped!!!!! :yess: I'm beyond relieved he will be returned to his family! I also learned he was from that shelter and had been adopted 2 months ago.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is such good news! So glad he has an owner and will be returned to them. Thank you for all that did you did.

Chasethecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK let me restate the situation. I rent a room from my mom and have 2 cats. I can not have a third. Especially since I'm now on the affordable housing short list (where I will have to leave one of my boys behind.) So I can not have a third cat. I can not give the third cat a room. I'm on S.S.I. and can barely afford to care for my 2 boys. I feed the semi-feral because he eats out of my boys bowls. I bought enough food to get those three cats through the month plus a little extra. I'm thinking of buying a bag of cheap food just to make sure that little feral kitten doesn't starve (which will be taking food money out of my last grocery funds for the rest of the month.) I buy their food the first of every month.

I will research and call for all the help I can get in my area. (Ventura county, California.) I'm hoping the Ojia animal shelter can loan me a catch them alive trap. After reading shadows rescue' s post I will try to arrange to catch her and for them to take her in.

It is one of those, I can't afford another cat but I can't watch this kitten starve situation that is a tough situation to problem solve. Thank you for your help.
I can relate. Found 3 kittens left by their mother in the little woods near our house. Can't really afford to try and tame them but I have been feeding them. Am going to try and get them fixed thru a catch and release. This is the result of a neighbor not fixing her cat and now there are like 15 cereal cats in a small neighborhood. I just made them a shelter out of a storage tote and lined it with a Mylar blanket but am doing all of this behind my boyfriend's back. After we put our first cat down 3 months ago, he said no more (it was very very hard on both of us as we loved her so much). Anyway..laying here worried about them as I read others problems

Chasethecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last night I locked my cat up and let the little stray cat out. He was affectionate, walked around like he was familiar with houses and once he had checked to make sure the other cats were not there; he played. It was nice to see one of the jingle balls being used. It was readily apparent he was a lost cat, not a feral cat. We took him to animal shelter near us because that is the first place a person would look if they lost their cat or dog.

:) Turned out he was chipped!!!!! :yess: I'm beyond relieved he will be returned to his family! I also learned he was from that shelter and had been adopted 2 months ago.
tproblemsthank god